PDA

View Full Version : John Carmack vs EA

Phyxion
03-24-09, 04:21 PM
Read the full here:
http://www.idsoftware.com/wolfenstein3dclassic/wolfdevelopment.htm

Funny as hell, especially this part:

I told EA that we were NOT going to ship that as the first Id Software product on the iPhone. Using the iPhone's hardware 3D acceleration was a requirement, and it should be easy -- when I did the second generation mobile renderer (written originally in java) it was layered on top of a class I named TinyGL that did the transform / clip / rasterize operations fairly close to OpenGL semantics, but in fixed point and with both horizontal and vertical rasterization options for perspective correction. The developers came back and said it would take two months and exceed their budget.

Rather than having a big confrontation over the issue, I told them to just send the project to me and I would do it myself. Cass Everitt had been doing some personal work on the iPhone, so he helped me get everything set up for local iPhone development here, which is a lot more tortuous than you would expect from an Apple product. As usual, my off the cuff estimate of "Two days!" was optimistic, but I did get it done in four, and the game is definitely more pleasant at 8x the frame rate.
And I had fun doing it.

FastRedPonyCar
03-24-09, 08:00 PM
PWNT

six_storm
03-24-09, 08:55 PM
Can't wait to see Wolf3D on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

sillyeagle
03-24-09, 09:47 PM
The guy's a badass.

NaitoSan
03-24-09, 10:14 PM
John Carmack ftw! I'm really excited to get a copy of Wolf3D on iPhone soon. It's free and it uses high res artworks (Flag, Nazi soldiers and whatnot looks more detailed).

mullet
03-25-09, 12:37 AM
JC is dah man no sheet.

Misfire
03-25-09, 12:54 AM
John Carmack ftw! I'm really excited to get a copy of Wolf3D on iPhone soon. It's free and it uses high res artworks (Flag, Nazi soldiers and whatnot looks more detailed).

it'll be 5 dollars, but he released source code for free, so you should be able to compile and put it on jailbroken ones.

CaptNKILL
03-25-09, 02:12 AM
That's awesome.

Carmack is the man. :lol:

We're lucky to have him back in the industry. I think he actually planned on dropping out of the gaming scene a few years ago.

crainger
03-25-09, 02:22 AM
Send him an invite to nVNews please.

NaitoSan
03-25-09, 02:41 AM
it'll be 5 dollars, but he released source code for free, so you should be able to compile and put it on jailbroken ones.
I just read about it will be charged $4.99. I'll still get it. :)

http://kotaku.com/5183102/worlds-first-hands-on-with-iphones-wolfenstein-3d

NaitoSan
03-25-09, 05:27 AM
Wolfenstein 3D is out on App store for iPhone. I'm a bit disappointed to see they didn't use high resolution artworks as seen in Mac / Jaguar version. :(

Gaco
03-25-09, 06:29 AM
Haha way to go Carmack :D

I probably won't own an iPhone or any apple product for that matter in the foreseeable future, but it's still cool that they're exploring the mobile platform :)

crainger
03-25-09, 06:45 AM
Wolfenstein 3D is out on App store for iPhone. I'm a bit disappointed to see they didn't use high resolution artworks as seen in Mac / Jaguar version. :(

THEY CONSOLISED IT!!!!!!!!!ONEONNEOENE!!1111111 LMAO ****ING REATDRS OH TEH NOES!

Misfire
03-25-09, 09:15 AM
I just read about it will be charged $4.99. I'll still get it. :)

http://kotaku.com/5183102/worlds-first-hands-on-with-iphones-wolfenstein-3d

I bought it now as well, can't wait to play it!

This was made in 4 days, pretty amazing!

Holy crap, this is so good lol, The game looks fantastic and runs mad smooth. Control scheme is responsive and well done loving it!

RAY16
03-25-09, 10:23 AM
I think Carmack ran into a similar situation when he was making other Cell Phone games. The man has years of experience with the type of engines that early FPS games used. Newer developers, regardless of how skilled they may be with modern techniques simply don't have that experience.

CaptNKILL
03-25-09, 01:48 PM
I think Carmack ran into a similar situation when he was making other Cell Phone games. The man has years of experience with the type of engines that early FPS games used. Newer developers, regardless of how skilled they may be with modern techniques simply don't have that experience.

I think his experience really pays off on the mobile platforms because the capabilities of phones are similar to those of the computers from the "golden era" of first person shooters when id was king.

AdamK47
03-25-09, 03:31 PM
The man sticking it to the man.

AdamK47
03-25-09, 04:00 PM
I sent an email to the Wolf 3D Redux project maintainer to see if he might be interested in working on an iPhone project with us, but it had been over a year since the last update, and he must have moved on to other things.

That would suck being the original developer and reading that after the fact. I know I would jump on any chance to work with ID on a project... you know... if I actually held some desirable development knowledge.