PDA

View Full Version : Empires or Dawn of War II

nekrosoft13
03-24-09, 07:28 PM
I'm trying to decide between Empires Total War and Dawn of War II.

Last game from Total War Series that i played was Shogun. Never played any Dawn of War games, but i did like Company of Heroes.

NarcissistZero
03-24-09, 07:32 PM
They're very different...

Dawn of War 2 is barely an RTS... more a strategic point and click battle game like Commandos or something... it's a lot like Company of Heroes but without bases or strategic points... more objectives... also, RPG like stats and equipment.

Empire is mostly the same game as all the Total War games I ever played, though better in graphics, options and other things. It's the first one I really enjoyed, mostly because of the cool time period I have an affinity for.

Buio
03-24-09, 07:46 PM
Empire Total War is buggy, stay off it until they patched it. There is a soon coming patch that should fix a lot of the crashes, but no date yet.

That said, I bought it myself and have probably had fewer problem than many others. And I enjoy it. It's campaign map is getting more similar to games like Civilization (but simpler and more combat oriented), while the 3D battles are cool rts games with huge armies.

Toss3
03-24-09, 07:47 PM
Haven't played Empires, but Dawn of War II is a very fun and addictive game(pretty repetitive though). :)

Retrolock
03-24-09, 08:10 PM
I have them both but I've played Empires much more than DOW2.

Gaco
03-25-09, 06:25 AM
DoW2. All of my friends who bought Empire says it's an awesome game, but has waay to many bugs and is unoptimized as can be. In addition, DoW2 seems to have way more multiplayer.

Buy DoW2 now, play the campaign coop with a friend. It's absolutely freakin awesome the first 80% of the game, last 20% tends to be more repetitive, but it doesn't ruin the experience. After that there's multiplayer. Then buy E:TW later when it gets patched up and perhaps even set on sale ;)

crainger
03-25-09, 06:44 AM
DoWII!

It's like an RPG RTS. So much fun plus there are already mods that make a second and third play through very fun.

Ancient76
03-25-09, 06:55 AM
Empires!

LordJuanlo
03-25-09, 08:15 AM
Didn't play Empires, from what I have seen it looks like it's much more complex than DoW2, got this one and is very fun to play. My vote goes to DoW2

Buio
03-25-09, 10:36 AM
Here is latest upcoming patch information about Empire: Total War
http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/sreply/690394/t/Next-update-details-.html

i. The next patch is coming shortly, this will fix a number of critical code issues.

ii. Following the next patch a massive gameplay update is being prepared which will address: balancing, naval units, AI behaviour and other issues.

When that gameplay update is released the game will be in the status it should have been at release.

Just a minor nitpick, it's called Empire: Total War, not "Empires: Total War". A good abbreviation is ETW.

H4yd3n
03-25-09, 12:55 PM
DOWII has a unique playstyle, great graphics, very micro intensive, great online play, fairly good campaign.

Also, for those who like a cool looking army like me, the army painter and armor level up visual effects are pretty cool too haha.

crainger
03-25-09, 02:49 PM
You'll get bored of Empires nekro. I know. Get Dawn of War II.

Buio
03-25-09, 02:51 PM
Update for Empire just released on Steam. It fixes crashes and stability problems.

- Load time detection on trade routes to fix pathfinding crash in campaign
- Some General Sound balancing improvements
- Fixed UI Chat hang when spectator leaves unranked match with 3+ players
- Various Campaign Crash Fixes
- Some Save/Load fixes
- Boarding fix where cannon crew board order was not being deleted properly causing crash
- Fix to kill characters instantly to stop crashes in campaign on agent/general deaths.
- Save games limited to 1000
- Fix to animation glitch causing repetitive sounds when battle is launched.
- Multiplayer - can now find friends across regions

Ancient76
03-26-09, 08:10 AM
I'm trying to decide between Empires Total War and Dawn of War II.

Last game from Total War Series that i played was Shogun. Never played any Dawn of War games, but i did like Company of Heroes.

Well Shogun was first TW game :)
If you like a real strategy, take Empire. DoW is a limunade. For me Medieval 2 is the best.