PDA

View Full Version : Im gettin restless

Pages : [1] 2

prodikal
06-08-03, 11:19 PM
Man i have been savin for a 5900 Ultra for a while now and i got my money ready to spend but they are no where to be found yet. I currently have a generic MX440 so i am expecting some performance boost. I would really have to cop out and buy a 9800 Pro b/c they are already in stores. :(

UDawg
06-08-03, 11:34 PM
What are your system specs? If your CPU isn't up to snuff then you will be waisting a video card.

prodikal
06-08-03, 11:42 PM
Soyo Dragon KT333
XP 2400
1024 Hyper X
80 Gig Hdd
Usual crap Cdrw etc.....

sbp
06-08-03, 11:46 PM
If you waited this long, you can wait a while longer. That said the 9800 Pro is a fine card that will serve you well. And don't forget R360 is on the way.

digitalwanderer
06-09-03, 12:07 AM
Will I get banned or tickle-slapped for asking, "ARE YOU READY?!?!" :p

ragejg
06-09-03, 12:09 AM
naahh... just poked... :POKE:

:D

extreme_dB
06-09-03, 12:22 AM
Here's my opinion: for now, get a 9700NP or 9700Pro, which will play all current games just great.

Wait until fall when the big games come out, then sell it and buy whatever card proves to be the best for those new games. Or wait a little longer for the nex-gen GPUs, which will probably offer a better value over their lifetimes than the NV35/R350.

Why spend a premium on a card right now that's an unknown in how it handles DX9 titles, at a time when its extra power is not really necessary to fully enjoy today's games?

Dazz
06-09-03, 02:21 AM
Yeah it's said that the NV40 will be out at the end of this year, i myself and thinking of holding off.

panzaman
06-09-03, 03:02 AM
..I would say "HOLD ON", things are very uncertain for nVidia at the moment, we don't really know how their cards performs under DX9 apps, and looks like (see cheats and that) they (nVidia) are unsure too.

nVidi0t
06-09-03, 04:31 AM
Wait for the 5900 Ultra.

You will see a huge performance boost.

Hanners
06-09-03, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by nVidi0t
Wait for the 5900 Ultra.

You will see a huge performance boost.

He would with a 9800 Pro too.

I would suggest to wait if you can for the 5900 Ultra (and also to see what R360 has to offer), but if you get really impatient, then you certainly won't be disappointed with a 9800 Pro (or even a 9700 Pro). :)

nVidi0t
06-09-03, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by Hanners
He would with a 9800 Pro too.

I would suggest to wait if you can for the 5900 Ultra (and also to see what R360 has to offer), but if you get really impatient, then you certainly won't be disappointed with a 9800 Pro (or even a 9700 Pro). :)

Yes he would see as big a performance jump, but he was saving for a 5900 Ultra, so since they are so close to shops and he has waited so long, why not wait the extra two weeks or so?

Rampant CL
06-09-03, 06:36 AM
Its just a matter of finding them really, but i know where they are!

Theres a shop in dubai which has the MSI 5900 in stock and is getting the ultra by the end of the week.

But it might be a bit far for some of you...

nVidi0t
06-09-03, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Rampant CL
Its just a matter of finding them really, but i know where they are!

Theres a shop in dubai which has the MSI 5900 in stock and is getting the ultra by the end of the week.

But it might be a bit far for some of you...

Text me the mans phone number please... (NOW!!)

Tsunami
06-09-03, 07:11 AM
Dazz ya gettim me worried man i want a NV35 (GEforce FX 5900 Ultra) i got my money. I hpe that the NV40 comin out end of year is just a rumour

R.Carter
06-09-03, 07:39 AM
Well, they should be out by the end of June but who knows how good the cards will actually be. I'd certainly wait a few weeks after they start shipping before spending that kind of $$$ to see what the early adopters find.

But yeah, it's pretty likely that the NV40 will be showing up before the end of this year if Nvidia really wants to take the lead back from ATI (now that ATI is now on a 24 month cycle instead of 18 month) and get some sales for holidays.

But then who knows for sure they could hold back on the NV40.

extreme_dB
06-09-03, 07:45 AM
All indications are that ATI will release new chip(s) in the fall (R360 and/or R390) that will beat (or annihilate) the 5900Ultra, so Nvidia must have something as well to answer back. The 5900Ultra's reign will not be long, and it will come at a time before its power is truly needed. If it was avaliable 2 months ago then it would've been a more viable purchase, but now we're getting close to new cards with major jumps in speed, and games that actually demand it.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to blow all your cash now if this card is supposed to last 1-2 years IMO. That's why I think it's worth getting something just to hold you over until the heavy hitters arrive. This is not the same old situation where waiting is futile as there's always something better around the corner, because a new generation of games is coming that will really separate the cards that come before and after.

solofly
06-09-03, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by extreme_dB
and games that actually demand it.

Like what?

Lets put it this way... Once Doom3 comes out and your current VC can keep up, I would guess most new games should do just fine too.

extreme_dB
06-09-03, 03:34 PM
Enjoy paying a premium now and getting used to playing current titles at the highest quality, only to have to turn down the eye candy and resolution when the best games in years show up shortly thereafter, around the same time as new cards that have much higher performance to handle them "the way they were meant to be played".

We need early adopters to keep pushing the industry ahead anyway. :)

Hellbinder
06-09-03, 04:21 PM
If you want the 5900ultra then wait a bit longer. There is no reason to panic and get a 9800pro. Sure the 9800pro is nice, but it clearly is not your first choice.

Yeah it's said that the NV40 will be out at the end of this year, i myself and thinking of holding off.

No i seriously doubt it ships this year. All the indications i am seeing is a Q4 introduction in november and shipping some time in Q1. ATi's big new card is going to follow the same pattern.

There is a refresh of the 9800pro comming very, very soon that will beat the 5900 ultra accross the board. I cannot be any more specific than that. Nvidia is also rumoring to counter that with a little refresh of their own. And so the story continues.

The truth is neither one would even be considering little refreshes if their next serioius cards were getting released in the fall.

The truth is Both the 5900 and the 9800 are so close that it does not really matter what you get. If you look at all the threads you will see we spend our time argueing and Bickering over Little minute details that dont ammount to a hill of beans.

Hold out for what your heart tells you to get. That 5900U is just a short time from hitting retail shelves.

(Edit: It is remotely possible that the 5900U may not ship at all, if Nvidia deems the 9800 XT as a serious threat (which it is). They may just wait and ship the 5900U mark 2, just like they are doing with the 5600U mark 2. This is just my personal opinion based on nothing but observation)

Dazz
06-09-03, 04:38 PM
How can they soup up the 5900Ultra anymore?

schuey74
06-09-03, 04:41 PM
HB, I've been considering the same thing recently. How can Nvidia & ATI launch $500 cards in June, then release a $500 refresh a couple of months later, and then the NV40 & R390/420. There's just not enough time this year! And as you said, the chances of the 5900U not shipping are extremely remote. I'm sure that there are at least a couple hundred thousand of those cards already manufactured. Nvidia would be smart to ship the 5900U @ $399 & launch their refresh for $500 a couple months later. That way'd they'd undercut the 256 meg 9800 by a hundred bucks and they could sit and wait to counter the R360 whenever it shows up (Sept?).

DivotMaker
06-09-03, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
The truth is Both the 5900 and the 9800 are so close that it does not really matter what you get. If you look at all the threads you will see we spend our time argueing and Bickering over Little minute details that dont ammount to a hill of beans.

Ahhhh, exactly what I have been trying to say all along...could not agree more.

schuey74
06-09-03, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
How can they soup up the 5900Ultra anymore?

Remember that NV's goal for the NV35 was 600 mhz for the core so I am sure that they can produce enough of those GPUs to launch a refresh in the next couple of months. Remember that Nvidia had NV25s running over 500 mhz and they did plan to launch a refresh for the G4Ti but after seeing the 9700, I guess they changed their minds and put their hopes on the NV30.......makes you wonder if Nvidia should have just launched that refresh and skipped the NV3X line all together!

Hellbinder
06-09-03, 05:04 PM
Remember that NV's goal for the NV35 was 600 mhz for the core so I am sure that they can produce enough of those GPUs to launch a refresh in the next couple of months. Remember that Nvidia had NV25s running over 500 mhz and they did plan to launch a refresh for the G4Ti but after seeing the 9700, I guess they changed their minds and put their hopes on the NV30.......makes you wonder if Nvidia should have just launched that refresh and skipped the NV3X line all together!

Dude, Your information is um... not very accurate.

They dont have the Nv35 running at 600mhz (maybe just maybe one card with refrigeration or something). They could realistically target it at 500mhz and put a dustbusterish attachment back on. It does run a little cooler though so it would not really be a dustbuster again.

No, they never paned on a refresh of the GF4 after the 9700. Otherwise they would have released it instread of the Ti 4800. They never had the Nv25 running at 500mhz. Again perhaps one special card with refrigeration. But i seriously doubt even that.

The possible refresh of the Nv35 is nothing more than a possible Core and Ram increase to stay competative with the R360. we are talking a 500/500 card or something like that.. *If* they chose to. Not some out of nowhere 600mhz card. even the possability of that went away whyn low-k fell through.