PDA

View Full Version : Video from Intel's "Meteor" engine (larrabee?)

LordJuanlo
03-27-09, 12:57 PM
If any sign were needed that Intel are determined to show that they're serious about their Larrabee discrete GPU as a solution for gamers, it was the acquisition of Project Offset and the graphics engine that they have created.

As part of a presentation at the Game Developers Conference, Intel showed off a real-time demo using said engine, named "Meteor". You can now view this video (and trust me, it's well worth taking a peek at) on Intel's web site here (http://software.intel.com/en-us/videos/meteor/), while a behind the scenes video about the demo and engine is also available (http://software.intel.com/en-us/videos/meteor-behind-the-scenes/).

Source is Elite Bastards (http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/)

jolle
03-27-09, 02:04 PM
They´d prolly make a big splash about it if it was Larrabee.

CaptNKILL
03-27-09, 02:22 PM
So, that video was done on a GPU that is built into the CPU?

:bleh:

Sazar
03-27-09, 02:23 PM
How about they show a real-time demo running Crysis :wonder:

MaxFX
03-27-09, 04:45 PM
Wonderfull it seems nVidia will get some competition and that is a great welcome I think. faster better hardware and cheaper :D

It's only Intel that have the money and skill to make nVidia do their best, as we all know ATI/AMD is a bad joke and nVidia dont lost any sleep over these yeasterday news ;)

Buio
03-27-09, 04:54 PM
Looked good. But it was more a physics demo than graphics demo, even if the graphics where fine too.

jolle
03-27-09, 05:31 PM
Wonderfull it seems nVidia will get some competition and that is a great welcome I think. faster better hardware and cheaper :D
Doesnt sound like its going to be the speed demon people expect, but still, very flexible with its x86 architecture.
which is prolly why Intel is raving about raytracing, without showing anything that acctually looks sweet using it (hey here´s an uglied up modded Q4 with reflective balls), they´d prolly be the fastest doing that.
Abrash said that Larrabee isn’t likely to be as fast at raw graphics performance as other graphics chips, but it is power-efficient and flexible. It’s just another day in the graphics chip war.
just spotted that in a thread over at rage3d.
http://venturebeat.com/2009/03/27/intels-larrabee-graphics-processor-draws-a-crowd-at-game-developers-conference/

Its a shame about Offset, it seems very much like Intel is just making a tech demo out of it.
Hopefully the game underneath survives, cause the earlier gameplay trailers seemed pretty nice.
I think this is just Havok pimping with this video, looks neat though.

Nitz Walsh
03-27-09, 07:48 PM
So, that video was done on a GPU that is built into the CPU?

:bleh:
Uh...do you think that's what Larrabee is?

jcrox
03-27-09, 10:01 PM
even if it is with larrabee, game video != game play.

There is no way you're going to convince me, without actual physical proof, that Intel has come up with a graphics solution that is not only integrated into the CPU but can play a game with Crysis level graphics at gamer resolutions.

That whole idea seems to me to be the equivalent of starting with a Geforce 2 MX440 and having nothing in between it and your next release the GTX280.... like jumping over the widest part of the grand canyon with a pogo stick.

CaptNKILL
03-27-09, 10:53 PM
Uh...do you think that's what Larrabee is?

I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or not. :p

Yes, that's what Larrabee is. I was asking if this video was actually run on Larrabee or if it was just a demonstration of the game engine, running on unknown hardware.

jAkUp
03-28-09, 01:16 AM
Nice demo :)

Redeemed
03-28-09, 01:50 AM

It's only Intel that have the money and skill to make nVidia do their best, as we all know ATI/AMD is a bad joke and nVidia dont lost any sleep over these yeasterday news ;)

:wtf:

Are you oblivious to the win that the HD4k series has been for ATi? The only thing holding the HD4k back is proper driver support. If ATi's drivers were on-par or better than nVidia's, they'd flat out own right now.

walterman
03-28-09, 05:48 AM
Amazing :)

CUDA will have a hard time vs DX11 Compute Shaders & Larrabee.

Phyxion
03-28-09, 07:07 AM
Well apart from the great physics I can't say great graphics, even though it looks amazing it's pretty much because everything explodes nice.

Redeemed
03-28-09, 01:09 PM
Well apart from the great physics I can't say great graphics, even though it looks amazing it's pretty much because everything explodes nice.

I actually thought it looked amazing. Crysis quality or better... probably better due to the physics.

I hope the next Crysis employs either PhysX, or OpenCL. I'm liking what I'm seeing with OpenCL more. :D

Nitz Walsh
03-28-09, 01:16 PM
I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or not. :p

Yes, that's what Larrabee is. I was asking if this video was actually run on Larrabee or if it was just a demonstration of the game engine, running on unknown hardware.
Uh, no it isn't. That is one possible permutation of Larabee that may be revealed in the future, but Larabee will also be sold as a discrete graphics card at the outset and likely integrated into motherboards later on

The flexibility of using the X86 ISA set certainly allows more uses that GPU's of today, but it will primarily be a very fast, flexible vector processor. I think you're getting it confused with AMD's "Fusion" project.

jolle
03-28-09, 01:20 PM
I hope the next Crysis employs either PhysX, or OpenCL. I'm liking what I'm seeing with OpenCL more. :D
PhysX and Havok you mean.
Afaik Havok is the only physics engine in the works coded with OpenCL, though NV might decide to go that route (http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/03/27/nvidia-considers-porting-physx-to-opencl/1) with PhysX now that there is some competition.

Redeemed
03-28-09, 01:27 PM
PhysX and Havok you mean.
Afaik Havok is the only physics engine in the works coded with OpenCL, though NV might decide to go that route (http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/03/27/nvidia-considers-porting-physx-to-opencl/1) with PhysX now that there is some competition.

Yes, thank you. :D

CaptNKILL
03-28-09, 01:36 PM
Uh, no it isn't. That is one possible permutation of Larabee that may be revealed in the future, but Larabee will also be sold as a discrete graphics card at the outset and likely integrated into motherboards later on

The flexibility of using the X86 ISA set certainly allows more uses that GPU's of today, but it will primarily be a very fast, flexible vector processor. I think you're getting it confused with AMD's "Fusion" project.

Whoops. My mistake. :o

I haven't read much about it and the last thing I read was that it was a CPU+GPU hybrid.

Upon reading into it further I see that they're just referring to the way its built, not that its actually a full CPU with a built in GPU.

You threw me off with the whole "uh..." thing, I didn't know you were asking a serious question. :p

MaxFX
03-28-09, 04:18 PM
:wtf:

Are you oblivious to the win that the HD4k series has been for ATi? The only thing holding the HD4k back is proper driver support. If ATi's drivers were on-par or better than nVidia's, they'd flat out own right now.

Yepp I do and im very very glad that ATI pulled of a gfx card like that and took them to the top once again, I know it's a supernice gfx serie and they pushed nVidia to cut the prizes of their 200 serie so all is good :)

Just a bad joke from my side and nothing else.

TheANIMAL
03-28-09, 04:25 PM
I love how dynamic everything feels in that video.

LordJuanlo
03-29-09, 07:30 AM
NV might decide to go that route (http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/03/27/nvidia-considers-porting-physx-to-opencl/1) with PhysX now that there is some competition.

This would be a very smart move and I hope they do it, otherwise PhysX would be dead sooner or later

sillyeagle
03-30-09, 06:50 PM
One of Intels Larrabee guys has a blog, and there is no mention of this demo in his GDC posting.

http://www.futuregpu.org/