PDA

View Full Version : Streaming movies form PC to PS3?

ATOJAR
03-29-09, 04:55 PM
Ive heard you can stream movies from the pc to the ps3, could somebody help me out here and tell me how to do this please?

do i need any "special" hardware? what exactly do need to do?

Thanks.

|MaguS|
03-29-09, 04:58 PM
Nope, Just need to set up a DLNA Server. Some will even transcode formats that the PS3 doesn't support.

ATOJAR
03-29-09, 05:31 PM
Ok ive googled it, i started windows media player, went to the library tab then to media sharing and it picked up my ps3 as a "unknown device" ... now under the media tabs i see the little windows icon but when i drag a media file into the mediaplayer i can see it on my ps3 yet i see all the default files from my pc, any ideas what im doing wrong?

|MaguS|
03-29-09, 05:39 PM
http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74559

Thats for Windows Media Player, I personally used Nero.

terintamel
03-30-09, 10:47 AM
I have used many different media servers from WMP11 to Tversity, and I have found this http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3media&thread.id=145461to be the best media server. It is free, it will transcode files the ps3 cannot play, relatively easy to setup, and will even encode up to 1080p if your cpu can keep up.

ATOJAR
03-30-09, 04:00 PM
Well i figured how get things going with WMP11, start wmp, go to the library tab at the top then media sharing, allow the "unknows device"(aka PS3) ... then drag & drop any media files you have into your personal folder,(i.e if you click the “Start” button and click on your user name you will have a Music, Pictures, Videos & afew more folders) ... copy the movies, music & picture files to there corresponding folders & i was up and running, went back to my ps3 and hey presto, ther they all where. :)

Cheers guys.

turdhat
03-30-09, 11:02 PM
You need PMS ! No not that I mean playstation media server for windows. Dont have a link but I know the executable is PMS.exe

Small, easy to use and I stream 1080p content from my pc to the ps3 with ZERO problems, perfect clarity and 5.1 surround.

Sazar
03-31-09, 02:16 AM
You can also use Orb.

Then you won't have to setup anything on your PS3 or your computer, other than Orb software.

BioHazZarD
03-31-09, 05:13 AM
Use TVersity thats the best for streaming movies.

fugu_fish
03-31-09, 05:45 AM
Ive heard you can stream movies from the pc to the ps3, could somebody help me out here and tell me how to do this please?

do i need any "special" hardware? what exactly do need to do?

Thanks.

I've been using Nero 7 to do it. It transcodes about 99% of everything and looks great on the PS3. It's also very easy to set up. Run Nero Scout to index your media files, then start Nero MediaHome. It's that easy..

nrdstrm
03-31-09, 04:28 PM
I use PS3 Media server...Works very well for me, but x264 can be choppy...I havn't looked into why yet since mostly I use it to stream TV shows, and they look fine in xvid...

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

ATOJAR
04-08-09, 05:47 PM
Just bought Nero MediaHome 4.2.10.0 for £24.99, I must say i like it alot, Its alot better than the WMP server.

Nero MediaHome 4 lets you enjoy digital media content throughout your connected home network. Do you have all your MP3s stored on your PC, but want to stream them to your party outdoors? Want to watch movies in your living room that you have stored on your PC in the office? With Nero MediaHome 4, you can stream all your digital media easily and wirelessly throughout your home! State-of-the-art features ensure music, videos, and photo files are compatible on all your supported devices, regardless of format. Now you can stream your favorite digital media content to compatible devices, including to your Xbox 360™ and PLAYSTATION® 3 game consoles.. Intuitive categorization features within Nero MediaHome 4 make organizing your multimedia files a snap!
Nero MediaHome 4 lets you:

* Stream music, videos, TV programs, and photos throughout your home
* Organize your media libraries at the touch of a button
* Stream your iTunes® files with just one click
* Convert media formats automatically for any device
* Access web radio stations and popular podcasts

Nero MediaHome 4 takes home entertainment beyond the living room
Stream High Definition video content, photo collections, and your favorite music files to any UPnP™ or DLNA®- compatible media player, including to your Xbox 360® and PLAYSTATION®3.

ATOJAR
04-09-09, 04:50 AM
Could people using nero mediahome please confirm how long it takes to swapp between music tracks? theres a fella on another forum says it takes up to 20 seconds?

Mathesar
04-11-09, 02:09 AM
Ive been using PS3 Media server for a few months and it works great, I had to switch to wired network instead of wireless in order to allow max quality streams but it was well worth it.

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/