PDA

View Full Version : Vista SP2 Clean-Up Tool

nekrosoft13
03-30-09, 03:00 AM
NOTE: Use it only on final version of SP2
NOTE2: Use it only when you are 100% satisfied, and won't have to uninstall SP2 for any reason, after running Clean-Up tool you can't uninstall service pack.
NOTE3: Clean-up tool removes any left over RTM, SP1 files

new cleanup tool is called compcln.exe
used to be called Vsp1cln.exe in SP1

Directions
1) Open run command
2) type the compcln.exe, run the clean-up tool
3) read on screen directions

Vista SP2 availability: RTM-escrow build has been released to testers. Unless testers in these final hours find a HUGE show stooping bug, this will be the final version.

bob saget
03-30-09, 03:09 AM
what is the purpose of this program?
I know I fail :o

nekrosoft13
03-30-09, 03:17 AM
it cleans up old RTM/SP1 files, freeing up anywhere between few hundred to over gig of hdd space. These files are required if you want to uninstall service pack. but if you SP is working correctly there is no reason to keep the old back-up files.

7oPd4wG
03-30-09, 06:48 AM
I know I am a slow Person and all but won't we need the program to run the commands? :headexplode: Where do you download this at? It' seems like a cool tool. Nice find

lduguay
03-30-09, 07:40 AM
I know I am a slow Person and all but won't we need the program to run the commands? :headexplode: Where do you download this at? It' seems like a cool tool. Nice find

Try Nekro suggestion, WIN key + R and type the command compcln.exe :p

7oPd4wG
03-30-09, 08:20 AM
Well I have sp1 so using the tool for sp2 was the problem.(lee) After realizing sp2 needed to be on your system for it too work things made more sense. I told you I was slow. But I did however use the tool for sp1 seeing sp2 should be out anytime now.

Thanks

ASUSEN7900GTX
04-12-09, 01:22 PM
so how do uninstall a earlier SP2 for Vista to install a more up to date version ?

Riptide
04-13-09, 11:28 AM
Find the update in the add/remove programs applet via control panel. That's how it worked for me.