PDA

View Full Version : Does the X-Fi sound card cause any probems.

Pages : [1] 2

john19055
03-31-09, 02:57 PM
On the new X58 boards does the X-Fi cause any probems .Or is the on board sound card just as good. I have a Gigabyte EX58-UD5.I have heard the newer on board sound was just as good or cIose to it.

nekrosoft13
03-31-09, 03:18 PM
i just went though this

while upgrading to i7, my x-fi died, and i was stuck with onboard for few days.
couldn't stand it, first grabbed the xonar (but it was defective).

So now i have x-fi prelude (auzentech), so now is all good again ;)

john19055
03-31-09, 03:25 PM
I was hopeing the onboard sound was pretty good with the new X58 chipsets.I may have to get me a PCIe sound card.I got a place with it will fit .

Tym
03-31-09, 04:43 PM
I was hopeing the onboard sound was pretty good with the new X58 chipsets.I may have to get me a PCIe sound card.I got a place with it will fit .

Well, most onboard chips look nice on paper, but IRL it's not that simple. You need to bear in mind that no matter how advanced the integrated audio chip may be in the digital domain (DD decoding, processing, etc.), the actual sound quality will be only as good as the digital-to-analog converters used, and the onboard ones generally range from crappy to very crappy. You have a nice set of speakers, so I think it makes sense to invest in a decent dedicated card.

I've had some issues with my X-Fi (mostly driver problems, e.g. they still haven't solved the resume-from-standby thing), but no real showstoppers, and it just sounds great. Plus, you don't have to worry about EAX/OpenAL compatibility, etc., everything just works. I have no experience with Auzentech cards, but they get great reviews, plus they are based on X-Fi, so - again - no compatibility issues. I'd stay away from Xonar...

$n][pErMan
03-31-09, 05:13 PM
I don't think I have ever NOT used a sound card :) Have had my X-Fi for years now and I still think it sounds great :)

nekrosoft13
03-31-09, 05:29 PM
Prelude sounds better then normal x-fi.

I really can't comment on the Xonar sound quality, since the one i got was busted, and it was the only one in the store.

crainger
04-01-09, 01:21 AM
My X-fi makes all my friends jealous and they wish they had one. So yes. it causes problems.

wysiwyg
04-01-09, 09:35 AM
i now have a Auzentech Forte X-fi which i use with logitech 530 5.1 speakers and speedlink home 5.1 headphones

http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/audio-cards/auzentech-x-fi-forte-71/

and WOW, hugely superior to the extreme gamer i used before. the main reason i got it is because the vista 64 drivers are very stable unlike what i experienced with the xtreme gamer drivers.

on the Forte its a lovely full sound too which i havent heard before and the base is more obvious and mellow

i had tried the realtek audio on my new x58 but the rear channel didnt work unless using the 7.1 option. very fked up drivers by realtek.

but i highly recomend the forte! (i got it brand new from on ebay at 70)

it can be used in any pci express slot - 1x up to 16x

GTA IV sounds much clearer than on the x-fi xtreme gamer too, on that voices would often go quiet or the radio stations would change volume, but on the forte everything is crystal clear and consistant

XDanger
04-01-09, 12:59 PM
The gamer isn't a "real" x-fi though is it?

wysiwyg
04-01-09, 01:12 PM
isnt it? what makes you think that?

as i believe my older xtremegamer is a proper x-fi card

maybe your thinking of the xtremeaudio

still no where near as good as the forte though

XDanger
04-01-09, 01:40 PM
Yes yes ,The old one is I think

Great bargain on the Forte BTW!!

nekrosoft13
04-01-09, 01:41 PM
gamer is fine, the X-Fi Xtreme Audio is just a Audigy SE card with x-fi logo

nekrosoft13
04-01-09, 01:44 PM
x-fi forte is great, reason why i grabbed x-fi prelude (PCI) because I have two PCI slots that are not being used.

PCI-E version would prevent me going SLI, if i ever would choose that route.

board has 3 PCI-E 16x, and 1 PCI-E 1x, problem is that PCI-E 1x is covered by the video card, that leads me with 3 PCI-E, one being used by video card of course, and second being used right now by Silicon Image 2 port esata card. Just have one PCI-E free.

wysiwyg
04-01-09, 01:50 PM
thats why i went with the gigabyte for the extra ports

XDanger
04-01-09, 02:08 PM
Have you sold that X-Fi already?

wysiwyg
04-01-09, 04:04 PM
its gathering dust atm

Amaury
04-01-09, 04:35 PM
your're a not a true leet gamer until you have the fatality titanium plutonium kryptonite extreme edition x-fi. gotta love "creative" marketing huh?

Lazaredz
04-01-09, 11:28 PM
I just recently put my X-Fi back into my machine after a year with onboard. Took it out due to LOTRO issues at launch and tossed it back in cause I wanted to play Doom 3 and Quake IV again. Forgot how good a dedicated sound card can sound. :)

jass
04-06-09, 07:06 AM
I remembered I saw a good comparison between onboard and X-Fi sound cards.
Found that link now:
http://www.insidehw.com/Reviews/Multimedia/Integrated-Sound-Cards-Roundup/Page-7.html
It seems that although onboard sound has improved it is still not as good as dedicated cards like the X-Fi.

nekrosoft13
04-06-09, 07:12 AM
I remembered I saw a good comparison between onboard and X-Fi sound cards.
Found that link now:
http://www.insidehw.com/Reviews/Multimedia/Integrated-Sound-Cards-Roundup/Page-7.html
It seems that although onboard sound has improved it is still not as good as dedicated cards like the X-Fi.

truth is every dedicated hardware is better then onboard.

would that be video, sound, lan, hdd controller, etc..

Thunderbolt56
04-06-09, 07:37 AM
Timely thread. I just finished doing all the same research as I'm building a new rig as well and was wondering the same thing. I've never run without a dedicated sound card myself either (except in my laptop), and was passively hoping things had changed for onboard sound. In fact they have, but not to the point that ANY power user would find it acceptable.

I got this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102021

Crow_Nest
04-06-09, 07:48 AM
Been using my xtremegamer for several months and i havent run into any problems. Quite satisfied with it so far.

The gamer isn't a "real" x-fi though is it?

According to wiki all of the x-fi soundcards are in fact full working x-fi's with the exception of the XtremeAudio. The XA is a rebranded audigy SE and it also lacks basic hardware acceleration like the SB Live! 24-bit.

saturnotaku
04-06-09, 08:00 AM
I had gone back to onboard for a while, but couldn't really stand it. The difference between it and my old X-Fi XtremeGamer was quite huge. I was thinking of trying the Asus Xonar but instead bought an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude on Fleabay for less than $100. It works great using a modified X-Fi driver pack compiled by daniel_k, as the ones from Auzentech include a really old version of ALchemy.

nekrosoft13
04-06-09, 08:09 AM
you don't have to use the alchemy from auzen, just install the latest version from creative

nekrosoft13
04-06-09, 08:14 AM
nm