PDA

View Full Version : thinking of selling my ps3

Pages : [1] 2

tornadog
03-31-09, 06:36 PM
I was cleaning out the dust that had gathered on my ps3 when I got to thinking if I should maybe sell it off. THe PS3 was my main entertainment center for blurays and media streaming. But ever since I built my beefy HTPC with HDMI and enough power to output 1080p video, I havent rented a single bluray or required media streaming. Also the last game I played on the PS3 was killzone 2, which I lost interest in after a week. I tend to prefer the 360 for multiplatform games anyway and not many ps3 exclusives in the near future.

So what do you guys think would be a good asking price for a 40GB ps3(a year old)???

|MaguS|
03-31-09, 07:16 PM
$250 probably, wouldn't charge much since it lacks any warranty and notable features...

(infamous releases in two months... if you like your open world games like GTA)

NarcissistZero
03-31-09, 07:49 PM
Infamous, Uncharted and the new Ratchet... that's about it. Worth hanging onto for those and the BD playback, in my opinion.

Marvel_us
03-31-09, 09:50 PM
Infamous, Uncharted and the new Ratchet... that's about it. Worth hanging onto for those and the BD playback, in my opinion.

God of War III...

Not sure if Uncharted 2 would be of interest if Killzone 2 only held his interest for a week.

NarcissistZero
03-31-09, 11:54 PM
God of War III...

Not sure if Uncharted 2 would be of interest if Killzone 2 only held his interest for a week.

Pretty different games... Killzone doesn't really make me want to play it either, but I loooooved Uncharted.

Marvel_us
04-01-09, 12:21 AM
Pretty different games... Killzone doesn't really make me want to play it either, but I loooooved Uncharted.

Shooting in Uncharted feels a tad too arcadey for me sometimes. I liked the game but I think I was wow'd way more by the graphics than the gameplay. Kz2 is more of a complete package to me since I'm really into MP games.

Lfctony
04-01-09, 12:45 AM
Shooting in Uncharted feels a tad too arcadey for me sometimes. I liked the game but I think I was wow'd way more by the graphics than the gameplay. Kz2 is more of a complete package to me since I'm really into MP games.

While playing Uncharted, I felt I was in an action-comedy, one of my favorite movie types. It was like watching a movie and being a part of it at the same time... Looking forward to no2. I enjoyed it more than Kz2. KZ2 has control issues and a simple storyline. Its a good game, but not on the same level as Uncharted for me.

saturnotaku
04-01-09, 09:35 AM
I enjoyed it more than Kz2. KZ2 has control issues and a simple storyline. Its a good game, but not on the same level as Uncharted for me.

KZ2 is a technological highlight, but the weak story and control issues make it an average shooter at best. Uncharted is a more complete package, IMO.

Marvel_us
04-01-09, 10:42 AM
KZ2 is a technological highlight, but the weak story and control issues make it an average shooter at best. Uncharted is a more complete package, IMO.

Killzone's SP is good but nothing amazing. The MP is where this game shines. There are so many unlocks and collectibles in MP, classes, ranks, weapons etc. Also, GG have released about two patches since the game has released to fix the glitches in the control scheme. A lot of people were turned off by the way the game controlled because it's not like every other shooter but that doesn't mean the controls were broken by no means. Other than the auto aiming, which has been fixed, there are no issues with the controls.

|MaguS|
04-01-09, 11:21 AM
Get demons souls and all will be good.

Lfctony
04-01-09, 12:06 PM
there are no issues with the controls.

Well, if you visit the sony boards, there's a certain thread about the controls that spans over 308! pages and was eventually locked. Every other thread made is about the controls (not the auto-aim, whole different thing there). That seems like a lot of complaining for a "nothing wrong" issue. The fact that only 50% of people are bothered by the weird KZ2 controls doesn't make it a non-issue. Similar to issues like smoking, there are some people bothered, others that don't care and others that are strongly opposed to it. I don't remember any other game receiving so many complaints. That spells issue for me...

H3avyM3tal
04-01-09, 12:17 PM
Well, if you visit the sony boards, there's a certain thread about the controls that spans over 308! pages and was eventually locked. Every other thread made is about the controls (not the auto-aim, whole different thing there). That seems like a lot of complaining for a "nothing wrong" issue. The fact that only 50% of people are bothered by the weird KZ2 controls doesn't make it a non-issue. Similar to issues like smoking, there are some people bothered, others that don't care and others that are strongly opposed to it. I don't remember any other game receiving so many complaints. That spells issue for me...

It still doesn't make the control mechanics wrong. It's a matter of choice, and from what you just wrote, it certainly is not broken.

Lfctony
04-01-09, 12:42 PM
It still doesn't make the control mechanics wrong. It's a matter of choice, and from what you just wrote, it certainly is not broken.

Define broken... Move left while moving the stick right? You're right. No problem there... I only see weird, non-adjustable acceleration and a massive deadzone... As I said, control issues...

H3avyM3tal
04-01-09, 01:01 PM
Define broken... Move left while moving the stick right? You're right. No problem there... I only see weird, non-adjustable acceleration and a massive deadzone... As I said, control issues...

Those are not control issues, because they were designed that way.

Lfctony
04-01-09, 01:23 PM
Those are not control issues, because they were designed that way.

If they were designed that way, then GG wouldn't have been working to fix them... They changed stuff in patch 1.20, and they intend to change more in upcoming patches. Whether the controls are like that by design or not, they annoy people so much that 300+ page threads have been made and new threads are continuously being made about it. This "design" has obviously something wrong with it, as the many complaints suggest, even if it doesn't bother everyone...

Marvel_us
04-01-09, 02:04 PM
If they were designed that way, then GG wouldn't have been working to fix them... They changed stuff in patch 1.20, and they intend to change more in upcoming patches. Whether the controls are like that by design or not, they annoy people so much that 300+ page threads have been made and new threads are continuously being made about it. This "design" has obviously something wrong with it, as the many complaints suggest, even if it doesn't bother everyone...

The reason it's 300+ pages is because there are no clear cut issues. It's just a bunch of people going back and forth on whether they like the design. I've linked to statements from GG that have said that is the type of feel they were going for. They patched the game due to people whinning about the controls and to since I play the game regularly I haven't really noticed much changes from the patch. It's not like there's a drastic difference like they made the game play like CoD or Resistance.

This is the reason why a lot of developers are afraid to try new things with their games. People ***** about it not the norm while at the same time *****ing about it not being innovative.

H3avyM3tal
04-01-09, 03:47 PM

They didn't fix or changed the way controls work. They fixed stuff like autoaim in the last patch, and nothing drastic was changed about the way we control our char. It is basically still the same as it was. And 300+ pages from people who don't agree with the design doesn't make up for every player who plays KZ2. In fact, I would say they are a minority (relatively speaking ofcourse). And the fact that they still play the game says something about their whining.

Edit:
Oh. And what Marvel_us said.

Lfctony
04-02-09, 07:55 AM
They didn't fix or changed the way controls work. They fixed stuff like autoaim in the last patch, and nothing drastic was changed about the way we control our char. It is basically still the same as it was. And 300+ pages from people who don't agree with the design doesn't make up for every player who plays KZ2. In fact, I would say they are a minority (relatively speaking ofcourse). And the fact that they still play the game says something about their whining.

Edit:
Oh. And what Marvel_us said.

From the 1.20 patch notes:
- Controller input tweaks and modifications.

From the 1.21 patch notes:

Guerrilla Games is also "investigating" the following topics for future patches.

-Controls. Seeing about giving more options.

And speaking up about something is not whining. Complaining isn't whining. People that complain tend to get things done their way. Because people are complaining about these "control issues" (call it whatever you wish), GG is actually doing something about it... If this is whining, I wished more people did it. Because that is how people get things done.

Again, if there are no issues, GG would have changed nothing with the controls besides the exploits... Not only they have changed stuff, they intend to change more. GOOD! :p

Marvel_us
04-02-09, 09:01 AM
From the 1.20 patch notes:

From the 1.21 patch notes:

And speaking up about something is not whining. Complaining isn't whining. People that complain tend to get things done their way. Because people are complaining about these "control issues" (call it whatever you wish), GG is actually doing something about it... If this is whining, I wished more people did it. Because that is how people get things done.

Again, if there are no issues, GG would have changed nothing with the controls besides the exploits... Not only they have changed stuff, they intend to change more. GOOD! :p

Do you own the game? I do and I can tell you that KZ2 after the patches doesn't feel all that much different from the last patch. The part about the controls is mostly likely the auto aim as that was an input problem where the player could rapidly zoom and it would auto aim on enemies. The first patch they corrected the shotgun's auto aim problem. Again, there is no major difference in the controls and it still feels vastly different from CoD or Resistance 2.

The reason GG is looking in to giving more options for controls is to get more sales from the people who are WHINING because they suck at the game.

H3avyM3tal
04-02-09, 09:36 AM
Look, I am not going to argue with you about something as subjective as this. And besides, I can see Marvel_us is doing pretty well. But I can say that the part about giving more options probably means more control schemes or giving the option to map the controls to buttons of our choosing. I can and am a bit upset about some parts of the button choices, but with thing that is the central subject of whining, the dead zone and such, I have no problem with. I am pretty comfortable with it, actually.

Speaking up about control option in a video-game is whining. If it doesn't affect your life and make it worse, it is whining. If the point of complaining is about making life easier in a game, it is whining. If it's not broken, don't fix it. And they are not fixing anything, they are giving more options.

Edit:
I am talking about complaints to the way the players moves - ie sluggish and unresponsive, the dead zone and stuff like that.

saturnotaku
04-02-09, 09:52 AM
A lot of people were turned off by the way the game controlled because it's not like every other shooter but that doesn't mean the controls were broken by no means. Other than the auto aiming, which has been fixed, there are no issues with the controls.

No, GG did try to "fix" what was never broken in messing with how the analog sticks move the player. Name for me one other shooter in the history of console FPS games that has done this. The whole "we wanted to make this game realistic" argument I could accept if this were Call of Duty, but this is space marines blasting mutant space marines, so that pretty much goes straight out the window.

I might rent it again once the latest patch has been released, but I have no intention of purchasing until used copies are on the cheap.

Lfctony
04-02-09, 10:12 AM
Do you own the game? I do and I can tell you that KZ2 after the patches doesn't feel all that much different from the last patch. The part about the controls is mostly likely the auto aim as that was an input problem where the player could rapidly zoom and it would auto aim on enemies. The first patch they corrected the shotgun's auto aim problem. Again, there is no major difference in the controls and it still feels vastly different from CoD or Resistance 2.

The reason GG is looking in to giving more options for controls is to get more sales from the people who are WHINING because they suck at the game.

Read the 1.20 patch notes. 2 separate things...

- Controller input tweaks and modifications.
- Fix for auto-lock on of shotgun exploit.

If GG themselves are looking into these complaints, while fixing and changing stuff, I wonder how some people can reject the claims that KZ2 suffers from these issues just because they are not bothered by it.

I have KZ2. I have finished it already. I don't even play online with any game. It controls like crap... FEAR2, Resistance 1/2 all control 10x times better... Terrible deadzone in KZ2, horrible acceleration settings... If that's supposed to be "realistic" then they made a terrible job...

Nobody complains about those games. Everybody enjoys this "lack of realism" and everyone is happy.

Face it guys. Just because you put up with it, it doesn't mean that everyone else should as well.

H3avyM3tal
04-02-09, 10:37 AM
^I said that those who complained about the way the player moves (slow and sluggish) were whining, because it was meant to be like that. And GG are not fixing that, because its working as intended. "Nobody complains about those games. Everybody enjoys this "lack of realism" and everyone is happy."? - No, enjoyment has nothing to do with it. What the whiners hate is the fact that they now have to learn to play. Trust me when I tell you that there are plenty of people who like the way the game feels.

However, that other stuff you are talking about is correct (lockup and autoaim for example), but I was talking about a different thing altogether.

And saturnotaku - that is poor excuse NOT to make it realistic. The player is still human.

Marvel_us
04-02-09, 04:09 PM
Read the 1.20 patch notes. 2 separate things...

If GG themselves are looking into these complaints, while fixing and changing stuff, I wonder how some people can reject the claims that KZ2 suffers from these issues just because they are not bothered by it.

I have KZ2. I have finished it already. I don't even play online with any game. It controls like crap... FEAR2, Resistance 1/2 all control 10x times better... Terrible deadzone in KZ2, horrible acceleration settings... If that's supposed to be "realistic" then they made a terrible job...

Nobody complains about those games. Everybody enjoys this "lack of realism" and everyone is happy.

Face it guys. Just because you put up with it, it doesn't mean that everyone else should as well.

Lol, I don't just put up with it. I'm pretty damn good at the game. It's not like I suck at shooters or never played one before. Again, I've played Kz2 before and after the patches and have put a lot of time into the game online. Not only that it hasn't affected my play at all since I played a match last night and came in top 3 easily. If the controls were borked this game would've got Lair type reviews, which it hasn't. Again, when people just stop suckinig at the game and learn to play they'll be fine.

No, GG did try to "fix" what was never broken in messing with how the analog sticks move the player. Name for me one other shooter in the history of console FPS games that has done this. The whole "we wanted to make this game realistic" argument I could accept if this were Call of Duty, but this is space marines blasting mutant space marines, so that pretty much goes straight out the window.

I might rent it again once the latest patch has been released, but I have no intention of purchasing until used copies are on the cheap.

Even after the patches there is no drastic difference in the controls, only the exploits are missing(thank goodness). GG was trying something new with their control scheme which is why no one complained about Resistance 2 or CoD4. Those two games all control similar to their predecessors. I don't see what's wrong with GG trying to give the game a realistic feel since you are a human in the game. It's not like your some type of super soldier or anything. This is far from a Halo type story line.

jcossin
04-02-09, 04:49 PM
For me, my PS3 gets used mostly as a DVD player (great upconvert), sometimes to play Guitar Hero, and very rarely to watch a BluRay.

I'm glad to keep it for what it does and also can't wait to play Uncharted 2 as the first one was the best console game I've ever played.