PDA

View Full Version : Do you have APIC enabled?

Monolyth
06-09-03, 12:54 PM
I currently have it disabled. But I am thinking of doing a reformat and checking it out. So far I've heard mixed feelings on it. Lemme know what ya'll think. Thx :)

The Baron
06-09-03, 04:00 PM
ACPI, I assume? I have it on with no problems. Just remember that you can't manually set IRQs in Win2k/XP if you have it on.

Monolyth
06-09-03, 04:11 PM
No no, APIC

It's a new IRQ Handling scheme. Allows up to 48 IRQ's, only Windows NT, 2K, and XP support it.

ACPI does have some things do to with it, but that's more power management.

Most new motherboards have a selection between PIC and APIC. I read Rojakpot's little ditty on APIC which says it can give performance increases, but have also read that APIC has caused stability problems for some people. Since you have to reformatn/reinstall after enabling it in the BIOS, I have been toying with the idea of enabling it, just wanted to know if anyone used it.

Hope that clears it up. ;)

FastM
06-09-03, 04:42 PM
Is it not something for Intel CPU's only?

The Baron
06-09-03, 04:46 PM
Well if it's Intel-only, that explains why I've never heard of it.

Monolyth
06-09-03, 04:59 PM
I don't believe so.

It was designed for SMP (Multi-processor configs), but has been showing up in new Uni-processor systems. Guess a quick-n-dirty solution to IRQ sharing.

kurt454
06-09-03, 06:04 PM
I had problems with the Nforce audio on my Epox. Anytime I went much over 133fsb, my audio would start cutting out, causing in game stutters. I switched from acpi-uni to regular acpi and problem solved. I now can hit 185fsb without skipping sound. I believe acpi-uni is apic.

Shaitan
06-09-03, 10:10 PM
same here. On. No problemos. Go figure.

Monolyth
06-09-03, 10:30 PM
http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=1

That can explain it better than I :)

eL_PuSHeR
06-10-03, 09:20 AM
I have tried both PIC/APIC under WinXP on my ASUS A7V333 and I haven't noticed any difference at all, so I am leaving it enabled as Adrian Rojak Pot web-page suggests. BTW: My system is totally stable.

Dazz
06-10-03, 05:51 PM
I still have it enabled, when it comes to formating i think i might disable it and try it out, i saw it in the BIOS.

garikfox
06-18-03, 10:43 PM
Yes APIC= Advanced Programmable Interr. Controller., Intel started this and AMD Mobos have adapted a chip ALSO too take care of this, SO yes.