PDA

View Full Version : Vista Sleep Problem with new i7 build

Hambone
04-03-09, 05:31 AM
MOBO Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128374&Tpk=GA-EX58-UD4P
-Fresh Vista Install

When I was installing and setting up Vista, sleep did work. Something has changed. But, it's been a blur of reinstalling everything from scratch. I have no idea what could be making sleep act like this - and I use it all the time :(

Right now if the system goes to sleep or if I put it up to sleep, when waking it up:
-the case comes alive but my monitor does not come to life
-The power button does nothing
-The Reset button does nothing
-Holding the Start Button down for 5 seconds will restart the system.

I've tried:
-Restoring Basic Power settings
-Restoring The hibernation file (which I deleted with Windows Cleaner)
-But then I disabled Hibernation
-Setting mouse to not be able to wake up the system
-Restoring my bios defaults

Any thoughts? Thanks

Ninjaman09
04-03-09, 08:38 AM
Strange, that's exactly how sleep acted on my old Core 2, but with my i7 it works fine. Sorry that isn't helpful, but maybe it indicates something other than the platform is to blame?

hell_of_doom227
04-03-09, 12:28 PM
Power Management in Vista is generally broken, not to say ****ed up beyong commedy.

nekrosoft13
04-03-09, 12:44 PM
from what i read on evga forums, sleep is generally broken on my many X58 boards when overlocked. (X58 SLi has sleep broken, Classified is fine).

S1 ACPI state is fine, but S3 state only works on some boards.

crainger
04-03-09, 03:16 PM
Yeah. I have the same problems on my nforce650 Q6600 system. Reformatted, didn't help. Started since SP1, tried SP2, still nothing. Gave up, not just turn off ::(:

JasonPC
04-03-09, 03:24 PM
It seems there aren't too many modern motherboards that do support sleep 100% well. What gives?

Hambone
04-03-09, 04:10 PM
Previously:
-I had reset the BIOS to Optimized defaults
-Then reset it to Failsafe defaults

-------------------------------

When I got home from work I restored and image of Vista I made fresh with this board - right after Vista had finished installing (totally clean). Sleep was still broken but during my rebuild, I HAD SEEN SLEEP WORK! (I'm back on my current image now... I love GHOST - 2003 boot CD still).

That eliminated Vista in my mind as the problem unless there's some patch or reg tweak I was missing. So, I cleared CMOS and as my next step I was going to roll back from the F6 to F5 BIOS.

The CMOS clear fixed it! I have no freaking idea what setting in the BIOS could have done that. Maybe it wasn't a setting and something just horked up. Over the weekend I'm going to go back to overclocking, checking Sleep as I go. If I find some BIOS setting that actually breaks sleep, I'll let everyone know.

Thanks!

SVTF_Pat
04-05-09, 06:26 PM
I have been chasing the sleep problem for awhile now and I think I may have stumbled onto the culprit but I`m not certain as to what really fixed it. I think "Aero" is causing sleep to not to function correctly. When I changed the background theme to Windows Classic, sleep mode has been working like it should and the computer wakes with the touch of the mouse or keyboard.

My computer specs are as follows: Dell XPS 730 with 790i motherboard, E8400, 4 GB Mushkin HP3-12800 ram, EVGA GTX 285 + 9800 GT PhysX, X-Fi Fatality FPS pci sound card, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800 and the OS is Windows 7 32-bit 7068.

It has been five days and sleep mode is still working.

crainger
04-06-09, 04:49 AM
Aero? I will try this and see what happens...