PDA

View Full Version : Any Pentium 5 info ?

4d graphics
06-09-03, 05:22 PM
Does anyone know when the Pentium 5's are coming out is there a site that may have any info to help me out any info i would appreciate thx. :)

JGro
06-09-03, 07:12 PM
Not for a while, since the Prescott core is going to be released soon and that's still a P4.

It will be a least a year or two before the P5.

StealthHawk
06-09-03, 07:27 PM
And Tejas will be released after that and if I'm not mistaken that will still be a P4 core.

Sc0rp10n
06-14-03, 04:34 PM
yeah, i wanted to wait on a P5 for my current upgrade, but that's a LONG way off. like the previous poster said, it won't be prescott and probably won't be tejas. that being said, go ahead and upgrade NOW (like i did) and by the time the P5 is out, it will be time for yet another upgrade. you can upgrade now and feel quite safe that the P5 won't come out next week...or the week after that.

LORD-eX-Bu
06-14-03, 04:53 PM
I'm still happy about my 2.4 Ghz P4:D

err... somewhere, I forgot where(it was too long back) I read that the P4 will reach 11 Ghz in its lifetime, don't know if that is true or not tho, sounds exaggerated:confused:

JGro
06-14-03, 06:09 PM
11 GHz seems a little unrealistic.

According to Moore's Law, that would be about 3 years away and the pace of new manufacturing processes is slowing down....

The P4 hopefully will be ancient history by then.

Greg
06-15-03, 12:12 AM
I talked to an Intel person who was confident their P4 architecture would scale better than previous generations. He also pointed out how the previous generations had scaled to a significant multiple of their inital release. Without wacky cooling P4 should reach 10ghz and possibly much more.

Edit: Besides, we've already seen photos of P4s running at 5 and 10ghz in Intel labs perhaps 2 years ago now.

4d graphics
06-16-03, 04:26 AM
just to think with moores law its every 18 months cpu's double in speed half way thur 2000 they hit 1ghz so at the start of 2002 it should be on 2ghz and now half way thur 2003 should be on 4ghz sad to see them all slowing down now and just to think intel once said they are going to smash moores law and beat it looks more like moores law smashed them. :surrender

Luminescent
06-16-03, 10:38 AM
There is some great information over at chip-architect.com. Here is a direct link to the article on prescott with details on its internal archiectecture:
http://www.chip-architect.com/news/2003_04_20_Looking_at_Intels_Prescott_part2.html

Sazar
06-16-03, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by 4d graphics
just to think with moores law its every 18 months cpu's double in speed half way thur 2000 they hit 1ghz so at the start of 2002 it should be on 2ghz and now half way thur 2003 should be on 4ghz sad to see them all slowing down now and just to think intel once said they are going to smash moores law and beat it looks more like moores law smashed them. :surrender

clock speeds != performance alone :)

just look @ amd k7 and the new centrino cores...

performance will continue to rise... though moore's law is not teh be all/end all of the IT industry lol... it is an interesting notion and a nice little 'guideline' to set one's goals along if possible... but thats all it is... there is no reason for r&d teams to say... oh look... we're falling behind moore's law... lets spend an extra 50 billion dollars to catch up...

b00bie
06-18-03, 09:23 PM
I hear pentium 5 would be released around 2005. But who knows...

dates change, and who knows what will happen.

all i know is that the Prescott should come out soon, but as said before, it's still P4.

Steppy
06-19-03, 03:11 PM
The Pentium 5 "named" processor could possibly be prescot. The P2 and the P3 were nearly identical cores, one just had SSE. Intel's true followup to the p4 "netburst" core is likely not coming until 2005-2006 or so.

poursoul
06-19-03, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by 4d graphics

i really hate to say this anymore but moore's law refers to the number of transistors in a processor not the speed. the reason i hate saying that is because for some reason people get really mad at me when i do, one time i almost got fired from an old job, and another time someone almost kicked my ass. no joke.

poursoul
06-19-03, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by poursoul
ass

something wrong with the swear filter? or is it an acceptible word now?

StealthHawk
06-19-03, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Steppy
The Pentium 5 "named" processor could possibly be prescot. The P2 and the P3 were nearly identical cores, one just had SSE. Intel's true followup to the p4 "netburst" core is likely not coming until 2005-2006 or so.

hehe, but the "real" P3 had on-die cache AND SSE ;)

Steppy
06-19-03, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
hehe, but the "real" P3 had on-die cache AND SSE ;) True, but the point is that Intel doesn't have to wait until an entirely new core comes out to put out a Pentium 5(which seems to be what some people think). The P6 core went through 3 names, the Pentium Pro, the Pentium 2, and the Pentium 3.

StealthHawk
06-22-03, 11:53 PM
Tom's Hardware solves the Pentium5 mystery. In the P4 3.2GHz review here (http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030623/index.html), Tom says that 3.4GHz and up will be P5.

For those who still might be clueless, yes, this means that Prescott is going to be called Pentium5 ;)

Sc0rp10n
06-23-03, 07:41 AM
argh. this is frustrating as i was going to wait on prescott if it were indeed labeled the p5. as it stands, i have a p4-3.0 on order which will be here in a couple of weeks. i know, i know, it's just a name and won't make a huge difference for gaming, but come on. i had seen many sites say that neither prescott nor tejas would be labeled p5. argh.

prodikal
06-23-03, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Tom's Hardware solves the Pentium5 mystery. In the P4 3.2GHz review here (http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030623/index.html), Tom says that 3.4GHz and up will be P5.

For those who still might be clueless, yes, this means that Prescott is going to be called Pentium5 ;)

This article at the Inq seems to back this up.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10121

Kain
06-23-03, 05:24 PM
How much longer will they keep this "Pentium" name? It's getting old already!

Secondly, I don't think there will be a Pentium 6 because "Pent" means 5! :p

Sc0rp10n
06-23-03, 05:28 PM
well, p4 lasted a while. i will be a little upset if the p5 is released this year, but oh well. such is the life of someone who loves computers.

Steppy
06-23-03, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Kain
How much longer will they keep this "Pentium" name? It's getting old already!

Secondly, I don't think there will be a Pentium 6 because "Pent" means 5! :p I think the soonest you'll see a shift away from the "pentium" naming scheme is when Intel markets a 64-bit home processor. Back in the day when Intel used the 80x86 naming scheme IBM, AMD, and Cyrix ALSO released like named processors. Intel went to trademark "486", "586" etc. but wasn't allowed to trademark a number. So Intel renamed the 586 the Pentium with the Pent part of it signifying it as a 5th generation processor in the same way the 5 of 586 did. The name pentium could be trademarked and name Pentium is a household name that Intel will be very wary of getting rid of(along with that damn chime).

Geforce4ti4200
06-24-03, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Greg
I talked to an Intel person who was confident their P4 architecture would scale better than previous generations. He also pointed out how the previous generations had scaled to a significant multiple of their inital release. Without wacky cooling P4 should reach 10ghz and possibly much more.

Edit: Besides, we've already seen photos of P4s running at 5 and 10ghz in Intel labs perhaps 2 years ago now.

actually on another message board, Intel is seriously considering calling the prescott pentium5 since amd has the new a64 name.
also nonsense, no one has gotten a p4 to 5GHz and like 10 people broke 4GHz.

"oh look... we're falling behind moore's law... lets spend an extra 50 billion dollars to catch up..."

even microsoft/Bill Gates doesnt have that much :eek: :rolleyes:

"all i know is that the Prescott should come out soon"

9 months from now or early 2004.

Steppy
06-24-03, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't give the Hammer release that much credit as to why it'll be a Pentium 5. More like one of several reasons. 3 years or so is about the time between Intel names. There was a little over 3 years between the Pentium and the Pentium 2, 2 years between the P2 and the P3, 2 years between the Pentium 3 and the P4, and low and behold 3 years after the P4 debuted the Pentium 5 will come out. And the word on the street is that Prescot should be out in 4 months at the earliest, 7 months probably at the latest. It's been a q3/q4 2003 release for eons now, and if it does slip to q1 2004, look for it VERY early in the quarter.