PDA

View Full Version : Question About GF GTX 260....

Bowen
04-06-09, 07:18 PM
I just got my GF GTX 260 C216 (Superclocked) today and love it, but I have a question and I'm not sure if it's drivers or the card. When I play COD: WAW or COD4: MW....when there is a muzzle flash or a fire...bright light, like a flare....etc....I see the screen flicker. This is the only time that it does that. This is a driver problem, isn't it? I've got Vista x64 and I'm using the new 182.50 drivers with it.

I had a GF 8800 GTX and I didn't have that problem. I just wanted to make sure it's not the card. I'm not O/Cing it yet either....just the default core/shader and memory clocks.

Thanks in advance!

intarweb
04-07-09, 02:41 AM
I know this is off-topic, but since you just got a Superclocked, I thought I'd ask. Does your card make a squealing sound at high FPS (e.g. VSync off) on things like game menus, Folding@Home, ATi tools, etc.? I just got an SSC (SuperSuperClocked) and had tried a Superclocked earlier, and both of them squealed.

Your problem, however, sounds like a driver issue to me. Have you tried the 185.65? I didn't have much luck with the .66, but the .65 has worked OK for me for whatever reason. I haven't yet tested COD:WOW, though >.<

Bowen
04-07-09, 03:44 AM
I'm almost certain it's a driver issue now since it only occurs in COD games and it's really not that bad and I might have had this with the 8800. It's just that with a new card, you get anal...ya know.

About your problem....no, I haven't had that happen so far, but on my 8800 GTX, it would squeal when I'd power the computer down. It would only last for about a second but that's it and only when I'd power down the computer.

What sort of mobo and PSU do you have? I heard other people have had the squeal like I had and some had it when playing games too, but since it happened to you with two different cards, I'm wondering if it has something to do with the mobo or more likely the PSU. How many watts does your PSU have and how many amps does your 12v have? This last question is stupid but sometimes it's the stupid ones that we miss and that is, did you plug both PCI-E power cables in? I would imagine it would squeal too, at bootup to let you know, but it's worth asking....just in case.

intarweb
04-07-09, 05:38 PM
Asus P5Q Deluxe motherboard. I tried two PSUs: Corsair 450W w/ 33A on the +12V, and another PSU that was 600W w/ 38A on the +12V. Got the same results either way. I don't think anything is struggling on the power side as the PSU isn't even winding up its fan or getting hot. I run a pretty efficient system overall in terms of power usage outside of the card, and even the card isn't supposed to use that much I think? I had seen some suggest on other sites that Corsair PSUs cause problems, but it just seems like Corsair PSUs are popular so that's why there is a correlation, and as I said I got it with another PSU as well. Additionally, you have one and seem to be fine. I did check all the connections and everything is plugged in. Never had this problem with any other card I've tried, including a 7900GS 256MB and a 8800GTS 512MB.

Bowen
04-07-09, 09:38 PM
There's one other thing I can think of and that's maybe you do a firmware update on the card. I know that can drastically change the stability of a device so that's a possible suggestion. I'd also post on Techguy.org....they're pretty knowledgeable there. I'd also trying posting at the manufacturer forums. If it's an EVGA, the user support is pretty good there too, but Techguy is the best forum I've seen for computer issues for both hardware and software!

intarweb
04-08-09, 12:13 AM
There's one other thing I can think of and that's maybe you do a firmware update on the card. I know that can drastically change the stability of a device so that's a possible suggestion. I'd also post on Techguy.org....they're pretty knowledgeable there. I'd also trying posting at the manufacturer forums. If it's an EVGA, the user support is pretty good there too, but Techguy is the best forum I've seen for computer issues for both hardware and software!

Well, I called eVGA and they said I could request they test the card first before sending it to me. I suppose that could work. I also considered just throwing in the towel and trying an HD4890 as that seemed to be my other major option when factoring in performance, heat, and power consumption (trying to stay around the level of the 4890 and GTX 260 in terms of those three things). It seems like a good card although I like this one a lot too other than the squealing >.<

As for your driver problem, have you tried the 185.65 on your card? At least for the games I've been trying so far, I really like them on mine. I noticed people were having trouble with the .66, unfortunately. I don't know what the prevalance of problems was with the 65.

SLippe
04-10-09, 07:13 PM
Any chance you have vertical sync off?

Bowen
04-11-09, 12:18 AM

R U talking about me or him? If it's me then yeah I do have V-Sync off. Would that matter?

intarweb
04-13-09, 11:35 PM

Yes, I do.

However, Bowen indicates that his doesn't squeal with VSync off. Admittedly, if I had a substantially louder computer, I probably would have a much harder time hearing it. Bowen, have you tried making sure VSync is off in both the control panel and game settings, and listening up close? Not to say I want you to find squealing so much as I'd like to get some data one way or another as both a Superclocked and this SSC that I have now have squealed in the same way.

Bowen
04-14-09, 12:22 AM
Yeah, it's off but I did think of something that I did when I did hear it squeal intarweb. When I was testing the O/C on it when I used ATI Tool. When using ATI TOOL, it does squeal but that's the only time it's done that. It's done that with every video card I've had since I started using ATI TOOL and that's with different mobo's video cards, RAM....etc.

When you hear it squeal, is it a light squeal or very noticeable sound? When using ATI Tool, it's barely audible but it was loud with my 8800 when I'd shut it down.

intarweb
04-14-09, 12:31 AM
It's very noticeable for me. How loud is the rest of your computer overall? It sounds like yours may just be quieter. The Superclocked I tried was about the same loudness as this SSC.

Bowen
04-14-09, 12:42 AM
Hmmmm....well there's one other thing that it must be then. I don't recall it and this might not even be an option but since you've tried two different cards and two different PSU's, that only leaves the mobo.

Now, I've had my memory (not with this build I have now) squeal before too...that is the computer's RAM. It squealed all the time but it was barely audible. It's got to be one of your components that is causing this since you've ruled out two of the most likely culprits.

One other thing you might try is this.....try unplugging all your drives, save your boot drive and tell me if it still does it. I think it's got to be the mobo, but I'm not sure how or why but when you've tried all the likely culprits and it isn't them, then it's got to be an unlikely one.

intarweb
04-14-09, 12:51 AM
I actually just tried putting it in an entirely different computer that used a different motherboard, PSU, ram, etc. from what I have. That computer has an 8800GTS with no squealing problems. It still squealed in that computer under the same sorts of circumstances, though it was a bit harder to hear due to fan noise (that computer probably has a more ordinary level of fan noise, based on what I've heard with other peoples' computers).

I tried putting my ear at various places, and it seems to emanate from the area of the card near the DVI connectors.

Bowen
04-14-09, 12:54 AM
Ahh....see, I didn't think of that....DUH....so it could be your display. Have you tried another DVI cable and/or try a normal VGA cable and see if it does it with that one too.

So it looks like it's not the mobo since it did it in a completely different system. Actually try a different monitor altogether and see if that works.

intarweb
04-14-09, 01:52 AM
Oops! Sorry, I forgot to mention that, when I tried it in another system, it was a different monitor, cable, etc. I just hijacked a friend's computer and swapped my GTX 260 in for his 8800GTS, so the only constant between the two setups was my card >.<.

I talked to eVGA and the initial tech I talked to indicated that they had no new 260 SSCs in stock. Argh! I may end up with one of the used "recertified" cards if I RMA :(

I also tried running the card at stock speeds (576/1998), and even underclocked, to see if that would have any effect. It just made it lower pitched, which is unsurprising since I'd be getting lower FPS.

Thanks for the help, Bowen :)

Bowen
04-14-09, 01:56 AM
There is one other option.....you could use their Step Up program and get a 275. The only catch is that your card can't be older than 90 days. I just did the Step Up with my 260 for the 275 and I only had to pay $50 for the difference.

intarweb
04-14-09, 02:19 AM
There is one other option.....you could use their Step Up program and get a 275. The only catch is that your card can't be older than 90 days. I just did the Step Up with my 260 for the 275 and I only had to pay $50 for the difference.

I thought about that but the problem is power consumption and heat. I'm not confident the 275 will play nice with my VX450 (whereas the 260 is happy; the fan doesn't even spin up on the PSU and the unit doesn't get warm from the load). I also tried a 600W and 500W PSU to make sure power was OK. Ironically, of the three, the 260 seemed the most happy on the Corsair. Additionally, I'm going to be in an AC-less environment during the summer, so I'm worried about overheating. I kind of wish I'd jumped on that smoking deal on the BFG GTX 285OC on Dell ($247) as, apparently, the 285 runs cooler and uses less power than the 275 >.<. I was pretty surprised to see that in several of the reviews. Unfortunately, from a performance versus heat/power perspective, the 275 seems to be the worst of the three, whereas the 260 216 is great and the 285 is decent :(

Bowen
04-14-09, 02:58 AM
Well, that sucks! I didn't know the 275 used more power than the 285! That's especially weird since the 275 is a 285 with with slower clocks and slightly less memory. They must have done something different that isn't listed. I see that they recommend a 550 watt for the 275 vs 500 watts for the 260.

Since you're not gonna have A/C, I'd definitely get the card that runs the coolest! I can't believe that the 295 is suggested to run on a minimum of 680 watts! I guess the next time I upgrade (which will be a full system upgrade) I'll need to upgrade the PSU too! I'll get at least a 1,000 MHz PSU though....that should last at least 6 months.....right...lol

intarweb
04-14-09, 03:20 AM
Well, that sucks! I didn't know the 275 used more power than the 285! That's especially weird since the 275 is a 285 with with slower clocks and slightly less memory. They must have done something different that isn't listed. I see that they recommend a 550 watt for the 275 vs 500 watts for the 260.

Since you're not gonna have A/C, I'd definitely get the card that runs the coolest! I can't believe that the 295 is suggested to run on a minimum of 680 watts! I guess the next time I upgrade (which will be a full system upgrade) I'll need to upgrade the PSU too! I'll get at least a 1,000 MHz PSU though....that should last at least 6 months.....right...lol

Yeah! My reaction was definitely "what the heck!?" when I saw the first review noting the higher power consumption, but it has been recorded in several reviews now. Some of them show pretty surprising disparity while in others it's fairly close. I'm wondering if maybe it has to do with a cheaper PCB or regulation design. Anyhow when I see 85+C temps clocking in on test environments that are in the mid to low 20s, I start getting pretty worried about what it'll look like in a 35C environment. It looks like my VX450 might be able to handle the 275, but with the 260 I have a big margin and hence everything continues to run cool/quiet.

I'm hoping eVGA will pull through for me on the replacement, otherwise I may have to look at a 4890 or, ironically, save up for a 285 -_-. I guess I could get a Superclocked again, but the SSC was a nice upgrade (noticeable) in speed, while giving about the same heat and power consumption.

Bowen
04-14-09, 03:36 AM
Dude....DON'T get an ATi card! I'm not a Nvidia fanboy either. ATi makes good cards but their driver support is god awful! Before I got the 260, I was using a Radeon X300 for a backup and I had nothing but problems with the driver! I never did find a driver that wouldn't crash when playing video.

It's not just the X300 drivers either. My friend had a 9700 and had similar problems with the driver. You can go and read countless posts about problems with ATI drivers. If it wasn't for that, I'd say they're every bit as good as Nvidia.

Whenever I upgrade my card or my whole system, I always look at both sides. The last two upgrades I did, I was actually waiting for ATI to release their top of the line card and if you recall, they were nearly a year late but that's another story.

Even when I was looking to upgrade from my 8800 GTX, I was looking at the 4870 and was bummed when I read all the problems with their drivers. The driver support is really the only thing I don't like about ATI. I have a 9800 Pro in my sons computer that I used to have and that card still runs rock solid....then again I haven't updated the drivers in about two years.....lol so go figure.

Anyway, for your situation, I would have to agree, heat would almost certainly be an issue, especially while gaming in the heat!

Ya know, if this is a constant for you, I'd look into going to a watercooled system. That would fix the heating problem for you.

I can't believe Dell had a promo for the 285 for only $247!!! I'm guessing it's no longer up for that price....huh.

intarweb
04-14-09, 03:44 AM
Yeah it's no longer available for that price :(

I've had pretty decent luck with ATi's drivers, but my driver experience with this 260 is probably the best I've had in quite a long time, despite having a few nVidia cards now (I've had a few ATi as well). Outside of the squealing, it has been completely fantastic and if it didn't squeal I'd be ecstatic >.<

What I honestly want is a non-squealing SSC. I'd take a non-squealing 285 as it looks like my setup could handle it (I went for low power consumption from the start, so I have quite a bit of headroom), but the cost is kind of prohibitive. Obviously it would provide a nice performance boost, although this card is really plenty fast as it is.

I'm just so bummed out about it. I wish it didn't squeal, and I have no idea if I'll end up with another one that does it. I'd actually probably be less bummed out if I didn't like the card so much otherwise -_-