PDA

View Full Version : MS Virtual PC

Mr Bigman
04-07-09, 11:30 PM
I tried this virtual machine and its cool and using all kinds of oses but one thing that bugs me.

Its the crappy vga driver that is bundeled with it.

Isn't their a better driver for the display besides the s3 one cuz folks who also use older oses for ms vpc would also like to game so wouldn't it be nice to have an say Nvidia geforce or ATI emulated gpu instore?

nekrosoft13
04-07-09, 11:48 PM
I tried this virtual machine and its cool and using all kinds of oses but one thing that bugs me.

Its the crappy vga driver that is bundeled with it.

Isn't their a better driver for the display besides the s3 one cuz folks who also use older oses for ms vpc would also like to game so wouldn't it be nice to have an say Nvidia geforce or ATI emulated gpu instore?

Virtual PC from MS is very basic virtualization software.

what you need is VMWare Ace

http://www.vmware.com/products/ace/features.html

Support for DirectX 3D graphics. VMware was the first virtualization product to support 3D graphics. With VMware ACE 2.5, users can now run DirectX 3D applications that support DirectX 9.0c with Shader Model 2 3D graphics.

Mr Bigman
04-08-09, 12:06 AM
What kind of graphics can i get from them?

Looks good but not free.

nekrosoft13
04-08-09, 12:22 AM
usually nothing good is free

Mr Bigman
04-08-09, 12:35 AM
I had one from a couple of yhears ago that had keys to install i got in an email vrom vmware but i don't know if its expired or not and that was form 2007.

glObalist
04-08-09, 01:07 AM
Why Ace? All he needs is VMware Workstation. I think you can register as VMware partner and thus gain access to all their packages (full versions) for free personal use.

nekrosoft13
04-08-09, 01:19 AM
Why Ace? All he needs is VMware Workstation. I think you can register as VMware partner and thus gain access to all their packages (full versions) for free personal use.

didn't remember which version added support for DirectX9, Ace was first that I found the link for.

Absolution
04-08-09, 01:34 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_platform_virtual_machines#Features

nekrosoft13
04-08-09, 02:20 AM
nice list, little out of date

VMWare Workstation 6.5 now supports DirectX 9 Shader model 2 as well.

AthlonXP1800
04-08-09, 04:31 AM
nice list, little out of date

VMWare Workstation 6.5 now supports DirectX 9 Shader model 2 as well.

Wow I dont know that, I got VMWare Workstation 6.0.2 and it automaticalled checked for update so here was no more update. I will download the latest version 6.5 from VMWare website and will install latest Windows 7 build 7077 see if Aero will be enabled. :)

Edit: Well I found Aero not worked so anyway I found out the new version now support 64bit OSes, now installing Windows 7 x64 build 7068. I will keep VMWare Workstation as it found to be faster than VirtualPC, will uninstall VirtualPC now. :)

six_storm
04-08-09, 07:48 AM
VMWare Workstation or Server is SLOW. Virtualbox + Guest Additions FTW. You won't be able to play any games on a VM, but the graphics driver is smooth to use.

Mr Bigman
04-08-09, 08:29 AM
I think the reason i dumped vmware was it didn't have a native vga driver for win98 or 2k.

So if i was going to go back to VMware, which vga driver should i get for older skews like win98 98 me?

AthlonXP1800
04-10-09, 02:25 AM
VMWare Workstation or Server is SLOW. Virtualbox + Guest Additions FTW. You won't be able to play any games on a VM, but the graphics driver is smooth to use.

I been downloaded Virtualbox 3 hours ago and gave it a try installed Windows 7 x64 build 7077, when it booted from DVD and the Windows starting screen stayed here for 1 hour but no windows logo glowed. What a useless POS software, wasted my 3 hours of time tried to get it worked and created 25GB fixed size hard disk took 30 mins to completed so it still not solved the problem.

Mr Bigman
04-19-09, 12:24 AM
Ok, here is the deal.

I am using vbox, but i get a limited or no connectivity error in networks under host.

I did get PClinux OS to work but says i can use 3d acceloration but where is it than?\

n use 128 video ram, and check it for 3d but in xp there is no driver for 3d settings or dxdiag shows no directx settings for it so whats up with this vbox thingy?

S.SubZero
04-19-09, 10:30 AM
I am using vbox, but i get a limited or no connectivity error in networks under host.
VBox 2.2.0 has a bug where Windows guests can't get NAT addresses with DHCP. You would need to set the info manually until they release another update. The IP is 10.0.2.15, the net mask is 255.255.255.0, the gateway is 10.0.2.2 and the DNS is 10.0.2.3.
n use 128 video ram, and check it for 3d but in xp there is no driver for 3d settings or dxdiag shows no directx settings for it so whats up with this vbox thingy?
Virtualbox does not do Direct3D. It does some limited OpenGL only.

Virtualization is not a gaming solution. If you want to play games, you need Windows on real hardware.

Mr Bigman
04-19-09, 01:21 PM
SO how do folks get those nice effects with ubuntu or PCLinux in a vbox?

I did the IP thingy and it showed connected but in the virtual os like 98 or 2k, it wouldn't obtain an adress just limited so i iput those peremeters in and no go so their is something strange.

ViN86
04-19-09, 06:13 PM
SO how do folks get those nice effects with ubuntu or PCLinux in a vbox?

I did the IP thingy and it showed connected but in the virtual os like 98 or 2k, it wouldn't obtain an adress just limited so i iput those peremeters in and no go so their is something strange.
What effects? Like GUI effects?

Check out Beryl.
http://www.beryl-project.org/

ZD7QraljRfM

Mr Bigman
04-19-09, 08:03 PM
Oh i know that looks so cool but can it run in virtulation?

ViN86
04-19-09, 09:17 PM
Oh i know that looks so cool but can it run in virtulation?
I don't think so...

I am pretty sure it requires hardware acceleration and most VM offerings don't support that. At least the free ones do not. (Some that you pay for do support it).

You might want to get a second hard drive and run linux on that if you want to run those effects, Bigman.

six_storm
04-19-09, 09:56 PM
Virtualbox + Additions = Ubuntu with 3d acceleration. ;)

ViN86
04-19-09, 10:46 PM
Virtualbox + Additions = Ubuntu with 3d acceleration. ;)

Guess it can be done. Thanks six :)

Mr Bigman
05-04-09, 08:15 PM
Do any one these vims support tvtuners?

I wanna run a tvserver inside of a xp vertual machine so i can host off the tv cards tv through media portal.

Drolfrawd
05-08-09, 06:30 PM
Virtual bucket shake.....

teh bugman shpells agin