PDA

View Full Version : Official Detonator 40.xx Feedback Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

nutball
08-29-02, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Richthofen
that is what i did.

I uninstalled the previous drivers, did a reboot and after that i installed the new Detos 40.41.
But when i try to klick on advanced options in the display settings the whole panel just quits.
So i uninstalled the 40.41 did a reboot again and installed my old ones.

Gues what?
Now i have the same problem with my old drivers.

What the hell is that?
Any idea?

I got that problem. I uninstalled the drivers (from the Add/Remove Programs dialogue), then rebooted. When Windows tried to detect the VGA card, I told it to skip it. Then re-installed 40.41 and rebooted again (twice actually), now the control panel seems to work OK.

Well, that's what worked for me anyway.

intercede007
08-29-02, 11:01 AM
I'm finally on the verge of breaking through to the 12k's with these drivers!!! All I need is 60 more 3dMarks..thats all!!!! 11940...hmm..I wonder if my baby could squeek out one more megahert on the FSB....bleh..no go..died on post...soo close yet so far away..... :(

http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4309223

volt
08-29-02, 11:04 AM
OMG so excited lol :D
Finally something new from nvidii ;)

MikeC
08-29-02, 11:04 AM
Links to screenshots of the new control panels can be found in this thread:

http://www.beyond3d.com/~beyond3d/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2279

volt
08-29-02, 11:09 AM
Thanks Mike. Will we see a review of some sort by the way ? :)

nin_fragile14
08-29-02, 11:14 AM
Initial impressions:

Quake 3 is very, very dark. Adjusting the brightness setting, which worked on the 30.82 drivers, no longer does anything. The higher the resolution I set it, the darker it gets, and it's not due to the brightness setting on my monitor.

When I ran Quake 3 at 1280x1024, the game ran inside a tiny little window in the middle of the screen, while everything else was surrounded by black.

My nature score went from 35 fps to 41 fps.

I haven't run the entire 3dmark yet, but based on what happened with Quake 3, I don't think I'll be keeping these drivers. I'm going to try Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed in a bit, and I'll update my experience with that.

Update: Need for Speed works great, runs about the same, looking at FRAPS. Played with 2x anisotropic (1x, 2x, 4x and 8x are available), and it only ran about 8 fps less on average. I'll try 4x and 8x later.

Ran Nature demo with 2x anisotropic, and my score went from 41 fps to 33 fps.

Another update: Medal of Honor runs fine, with none of the problems I'm having with Quake 3. My Quake 3 is version 1.17, so that might have something to do with it.

Cstirke runs fine.

Here's the Quake 3 problem: (Also notice how dark it is)

saturnotaku
08-29-02, 11:14 AM
Anisotropic filtering adjustments for D3D!!!!

OMG, I about cr@pped myself after seeing that screenshot. I just downloaded the drivers onto my laptop and will be installing them on my Ti4600-enabled desktop when I get home.

Now, Azreal needs to modify these drivers so they'll work on my laptop. :)

John Reynolds
08-29-02, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by pelly
Case in point, NVIDIA is the king of drivers...
A 1000 point jump is absolutely insane! I wish I wasn't at work right now...

:D

Score increases mean nothing until IQ has been double-checked.

ExitWound
08-29-02, 11:19 AM
Anyone else seeing this? I can't fix it:

I seem to have 1/2 a screen. Meaning, that the Windows XP Professional: For Testing Purposes Only has been moved to halfway down the screen (beta WMP9). All programs Maximize to halfway down the screen as well. all web browsers exibihit this behaviour as well as all windows open. I can't stretch screens below 1/2 way down, but i can move them down there, then stretch them up. Doesn't seem to affect Gaming, but it's annoying nonetheless.

Maximill
08-29-02, 11:19 AM
I've just finished installing the new 40.00 and I must say WOW! a 1100 points more on 3d mark from 12070 to 13171 and I tested it 4 times! How the heck do they do it? My nature demo was running up to 112 frames a sec!! Not only that on my VULPINE openngl benchmark I was never able to get higher than 119 fps no matter how much higher I overclocked my vid card or cpu, NO WAY IT WOULD GO PAST 119 fps!!!
NOW IT PAST IT BY 14 FPS MORE :D NOW I GET 133 fps!!!!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK NVIDIA, I'm one satisfied puppy:cool:

Here's my specs
P4 2.0 @ 2.46
P4B533 MB
768 megs of ram @ 333
MSI GEFORCE 4 4600ti 326/740
HD maxtor 40 gig
HD maxtor 80 gig
Soundblaster Audigy

pelly
08-29-02, 11:21 AM
IQ hasn't really been an issue as of late, as NVIDIA has really come on-track and is on par with their competition.......I'd be surprised to see NVIDIA release a driver with decreases in performance.

:rolleyes:

Score increases mean ( to me ) that I am getting extra mileage out of my purchase. Essentially, you are getting a free upgrade.

volt
08-29-02, 11:30 AM
Just a thought. Why do people care so much about 3DMark. It's just a synthetic benchmark and a war of "scores". I would worry more about how games perform rather how many points I gain heh ;)

Haven't installed 40's yet, though I will when I get to my rig :D

John Reynolds
08-29-02, 11:33 AM
IQ hasn't really been an issue as of late, as NVIDIA has really come on-track and is on par with their competition.......I'd be surprised to see NVIDIA release a driver with decreases in performance.

:rolleyes:

Score increases mean ( to me ) that I am getting extra mileage out of my purchase. Essentially, you are getting a free upgrade.

Umm, not necessarily. No one said the performance will decrease. What I did write is that performance increases mean nothing until IQ has been carefully examined (double-checked). IQ has been an issue as of late because there's been strange changes in the texture LOD from driver to driver (strange in my mind since these changes certainly shouldn't be occurring on an architecture this mature and on the market for this long). Moreover, 3DMark scores really mean very little since there's no enforced IQ baseline in the benchmark itself. . .users are free to tweak and twiddle anything under the sun.

Having said the above, as a GF4 owner I definitely hope there is a substantial performance boost with no IQ loss in all games. But I'm just a wee-bit skeptical that a real 25% boost can be pulled out this late in a product's lifespan.

Smokey
08-29-02, 11:34 AM
K so far so good, but has anyone got a refresh rate fix for this :confused: Ive looked in the nv4 file but cant see any refresh rates.

imtim83
08-29-02, 11:35 AM
Quake 3 arena works fine for me! i know you have some setting wrong in quake 3 arena. If you go to the latest 1.31 point release it should reset those setting if you wanted to do it that way.

Sinister
08-29-02, 11:35 AM
Heck people, could you PLEEEEASE be clear about which are our rigs? I have a Ti500, and want to figure out first, based in your reports, if itīs going to be worth it for me!!!

Rodrigo

saturnotaku
08-29-02, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by d1rX
Just a thought. Why do people care so much about 3DMark. It's just a synthetic benchmark and a war of "scores". I would worry more about how games perform rather how many point I gain heh

D@mn straight. I don't know about anyone else, but my OpenGL gaming performance as well as impact on GTA3 are going to be my own personal benchmarks for determining the worthiness of these drivers. And I can't wait. :D

kill`em`all
08-29-02, 11:39 AM
Like everyone else has said, you need to go into Add/Remove and choose Nvidia Display Adaptors (mine was 140meg!) and remove everything, right back to VGA driver. Then reboot and choose the Nvidia 40.41 drivers.

I was sceptical at first about the performance but my two benchmarks (quake2 and rtcw) give me a good idea how a driver performs and 40.41 is a keeper!.

p3 + geforce3 ti200

I tried quake2 @ 1024x768 32bit demo1.dm2
30.82=247fps
40.41=259fps

I tried rtcw @ 1024x768 32bit checkpoint
30.82= 77fps
40.41= 87fps

http://www.3dcht4u.de/3dc/5zdg5w/rtcw-checkpoint.zip is the benchmark I use for testing out the new display drivers. You will need to rename the extension to dm_59 for wolfmp 1.33. I have a bench.cfg in my wolf\main directory which basically does this to save time typing..

timedemo 1
demo checkpoint

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

JonathanM
08-29-02, 11:41 AM
hmmm i'm missing the device selection and color correction tabs here... quite odd.

Jeex
IMPORTANT

It is strongly recommended to uninstall previous versions of the Detonator Drivers, reboot, and then do a clean install.

This helps eliminate many of the problems some users are experiencing with the new 40.41 drivers such as:
- ultra-high monitor refresh rates becoming available,
- problems accessing the nVidia tab in the advanced Display Properties control panel,
- problems relating to nView settings, etc.

Cheers,

-- Jeex

pelly
Let me address this current trend of dismissing 3dMark...Personally, I do not live by benchmark numbers and I do not brag to everyone about my scores. However, I do feel that they represent solid information regarding the performance of my system.

Here, I can witness the weight each component has upon the overall system performance. ( ie: CPU scaling and/or differences between graphic cards )

If there is a large jump in performance in 3dMark, I think it is safe to assume that there will be a good jump in performance across the boards with games. Granted, some will be effected more than others. My point is that they generally all have performance increases.

3dMark is great when you don't have the time to fire-up half a dozen games or so and you just want to see if there are any major changes. In this case, there are and I am a happy camper because of it.

kill`em`all
08-29-02, 11:42 AM
Fire up regedt32.exe and head create a new DWORD called CoolBits under

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"CoolBits"=dword:00000003

This lets you turn off VSYNC for direct3d games/applications

MikeC
08-29-02, 11:42 AM
Thanks Mike. Will we see a review of some sort by the way ? :)

I had no idea that new drivers would be released today. If I had been given a weeks notice, I would have certainly written a review.

I'll do some testing during the next couple of days and post my results in the news. But I'm pretty excited to get home from work today :)

JonathanM
08-29-02, 11:44 AM
Let me address this current trend of dismissing 3dMark...Personally, I do not live by benchmark numbers and I do not brag to everyone about my scores. However, I do feel that they represent solid information regarding the performance of my system.

Here, I can witness the weight each component has upon the overall system performance. ( ie: CPU scaling and/or differences between graphic cards )

If there is a large jump in performance in 3dMark, I think it is safe to assume that there will be a good jump in performance across the boards with games. Granted, some will be effected more than others. My point is that they generally all have performance increases.

3dMark is great when you don't have the time to fire-up half a dozen games or so and you just want to see if there are any major changes. In this case, there are and I am a happy camper because of it.

I second that. ;D

MikeC
08-29-02, 11:46 AM
Just a thought. Why do people care so much about 3DMark

I think it's more a matter of convenience since 3DMark is a pretty easy benchmark to run.