Fire up regedt32.exe and head create a new DWORD called CoolBits under

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"CoolBits"=dword:00000003

This lets you turn off VSYNC for direct3d games/applications

Thanks very much.

volt
08-29-02, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku

D@mn straight. I don't know about anyone else, but my OpenGL gaming performance as well as impact on GTA3 are going to be my own personal benchmarks for determining the worthiness of these drivers. And I can't wait. :D

Yea, I can't wait my self. I want to see HOW will GTA3 and Mafia perform after applying new drivers. Should be interesting.

saturnotaku
08-29-02, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by MikeC
I think it's more a matter of convenience since 3DMark is a pretty easy benchmark to run.

Also, don't discount name recognition and the fact that soooo many hardware sites use it as a gold standard, so to speak.

jackmaninov
08-29-02, 11:49 AM
I've just installed the Det 40's on my system with a Geforce2 Pro, and I can't set refresh rates above 85Hz anymore. They are available, but, for example, if I select 100Hz as a refresh rate, I still get 85Hz.

This is annoying!

saturnotaku
08-29-02, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by jackmaninov
I've just installed the Det 40's on my system with a Geforce2 Pro, and I can't set refresh rates above 85Hz anymore. They are available, but, for example, if I select 100Hz as a refresh rate, I still get 85Hz.

Are you using Refresh Force or RivaTuner to make your adjustments or are you using the standard Windows refresh rate selection system through advanced display properties?

Richthofen
08-29-02, 11:57 AM
"
IMPORTANT

It is strongly recommended to uninstall previous versions of the Detonator Drivers, reboot, and then do a clean install.

This helps eliminate many of the problems some users are experiencing with the new 40.41 drivers such as:
- ultra-high monitor refresh rates becoming available,
- problems accessing the nVidia tab in the advanced Display Properties control panel,
- problems relating to nView settings, etc.

Cheers,

-- Jeex
"

Damn that is what i did but guess what i cant get into the Nvidia Driver Control Panels anymore.
If i try that the display properties just quit.
And i do not have this problem only with the new drivers - i have it now with older drivers too.
What the **** is going on?

Sinisterz
08-29-02, 12:02 PM
Anyways without uninstalling 31.00 drivers, I just simply installed the 40.41 drivers over the 31.00 drivers and the results were amazing!!

There is a new option in your antialiasing menu to turn on Texture Sharpening which i saw a difference and a noticable performance hit but still, with it on i got 40 fps for nature and w/o it around 65 FPS on nature test!! Also everything else such as rtcw or sof2 I gained over 10 FPS

These drivers are sweet!! get them now!

Radiator
08-29-02, 12:08 PM
Just installed..

I'm seeing the dark Q3 problem (v 1.31) ... and 3Dmark now exits to desktop 2/3's the way through the tests.. (on point sprites I think but will need to check)..

Using a GeForce DDR on a dually 1ghz PIII, Win2K... haven't tried with the Geforce3 yet... (and yes, I did uninstall, reboot and install)...

Richthofen
08-29-02, 12:09 PM
texture sharpining is somewhat 2* Aniso.
This Option was available in Rivatuner for months now.

And now this stupid control panel works :)
I don't know what i did but now it works just fine.

3DMark scores increased 800 to 1000 points.

OWA
08-29-02, 12:14 PM
Agree with those suggesting to remove previous drivers first. I didn't but then had to before things worked correctly.

About an 800 pt. increase in 3DMark 2001SE.

I think someone mentioned things being too dark and I'm having that problem as well. I haven't tried to correct that yet though.

ToastGodSupreme
08-29-02, 12:29 PM
Disapointment here:

Anyone else running Freedom Force v.1.1?

Sinisterz
quake 3 ran dark for me as well, turning up the brightness and the game was getting a bit washed out in colors.

Evil Homer
I have the same probelm with quake 3. My gamma is all borked. But i can fix with in game slider. Now this floored me. I play Urban terror (q3 mod) only. Now before i could play 1280x1024 w/2x AA and 2x AF and get about 60-70fps. If i went above that IQ i would get ~35-40fps and lag. Just for the hell of it i changed to 4x AA and 8x AF and at the same res. im getting the same FPS ~60-70 and looks great albeit the gamma thingy. Now thats amazing. Sucks they do this now after i just ordered my radeon 9700 (which is in the mail now) just for the IQ. Oh, well. Cant win em all. Also, my ti4600 is NOT overclocked.

Intel p4 1.6a@2.72ghz
512mb Corsair pc 3200@2 CAS
Visiontek geforce 4 ti 4600 @stock speed
Winxp PRo v2600

ToastGodSupreme
08-29-02, 12:30 PM
By the way, that's an in game shot...

Worked before new dets... going to do a clean install of them now though...

30.xx before this all worked fine with the game.

digitalwanderer
08-29-02, 12:34 PM
I do believe some gentlemen inquired as to the release status of the 9x/me version of these drivers....which I also must profess I am most partial to aquiring for my own analysis.

PLEASE nVidia, cut us 98se dinosaurs some slack and make with the goods!!!! We want better gaming too!!!!

Rattatattat
08-29-02, 12:37 PM
IQ seems great with these drivers and my nature scores have increased as well. Actually my fps on each test of 3dMark seem to have gone up but my final score has dropped from 13486 to 12380.

Have tested MOHAA and WarcraftIII and both games appear to run smoother and look better. Not sure whats up with 3dMark but I'm gonna leave them on for now.

Have installed these drivers twice. After the first install and using Refresh Force 1.10 I had severe corruption in 3dMark and in games. After uninstalling and reinstalling no corruption. What's a good program to fix the refresh rate?

Sinisterz
08-29-02, 12:37 PM
i have a feeling these drivers were just tweaked for benchmarks . ^_^ cuz in Codecreatures demo, i went from 31.00 @ 20 fps to 40.41 @ 10 fps (1024x768x32)and this demo is heavy on graphics lol

VoodooNinja
08-29-02, 12:38 PM
I think they will be releasing WIN98/ME drivers very soon. If you look at Nvidia's site. They removed all WIN98/ME drivers, even the 30.82's. They wouldn't do that unless they had something to replace them.

Spectral
08-29-02, 12:39 PM
Let me address this current trend of dismissing 3dMark...Personally, I do not live by benchmark numbers and I do not brag to everyone about my scores. However, I do feel that they represent solid information regarding the performance of my system.

Thank you pelly.. Ive been trying to say the same thing... This bandwagon 3dmark dissathon has become irratating. Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows that it is a decent benchmark.

peeon
08-29-02, 12:41 PM
lol. Improvement in nVidia drivers one day before 9700 shipments arrive at newegg.com. What a coincidence, eh?

Smokey
08-29-02, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I do believe some gentlemen inquired as to the release status of the 9x/me version of these drivers....which I also must profess I am most partial to aquiring for my own analysis.

PLEASE nVidia, cut us 98se dinosaurs some slack and make with the goods!!!! We want better gaming too!!!!

You do know that even ATI has stopped supporting Win98 in thier drivers:confused:

TheTaz
08-29-02, 12:45 PM
Anybody know if these performance enhancements work on a Geforce 3 Ti500?

I'm not sure I want to install them. I've lost a little performance on EVERY driver since 23.11's. And if the Performance enhancements only work for Geforce 4's... I'm gonna be pissed.

jbirney
08-29-02, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Spectral

Thank you pelly.. Ive been trying to say the same thing... This bandwagon 3dmark dissathon has become irratating. Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows that it is a decent benchmark.

Actually a benchmark of ones system then its decent. But is it a decent benchmark to comapare two differnet systems? Not really. Then does it predict how other D3D games will run? No way in hell. Sorry 3dmarks is only good for tweaking ones system, finding out how driver changes perfrom or testing the specs of your card, thats about it. 3dmarks != real world perfromance.

Glad to see the improvement and I can not wait to try them. But you realize looking at the detailed 3dmarks scores about the only thing that went up is the Nature scores? And since that is a pixel/vertex shader score and we have sooo many games out there that use pixel/vertex shaders..... again, glad to see improvement but I will wait until I try them in a bunch of different games with Ansio on off before I can make any call....

BTW were those 3dmark scores with Splash screens on or off :)

MuFu
08-29-02, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Smokey

You do know that even ATI has stopped supporting Win98 in thier drivers:confused:

To be fair, they still continue to release drivers that function under Win98, even if they are not "officially" supported.

Alternate Driver - CATALYST™ 02.2
Driver Build 4.13.01.9050
7.74-020709A-004733C
Posted August 01, 2002
This is a Windows ME display driver supprting DirectX 8.1 and OpenGL. This display driver should also function under Windows 98/98SE.

MuFu.

ascully
08-29-02, 12:49 PM
http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4310647

I actually got a better score than my ti4600 with the older drivers :)

I am very happy