PDA

View Full Version : Official Detonator 40.xx Feedback Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

pelly
08-29-02, 12:49 PM
I'm sure you'd see some improvements......Personally, I think 5minutes of time is worth taking if it means better performance.

Worst case scenario, you take another minute or two and revert back to the previous driver.

I imagine you'll have great luck with these new 40's though, good luck!

:D

ToastGodSupreme
08-29-02, 12:51 PM
Clean install, no go... :( sad

I'm going to fire up some other D3D games, see if it affects all of them

Philibob
08-29-02, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Smokey
You do know that even ATI has stopped supporting Win98 in thier drivers:confused:
They can't release drivers for Win98 anymore because MS has dropped support for it and aren't signing the drivers anymore.
The WinME drivers will probably work fine though.

kill`em`all
08-29-02, 12:59 PM
Hmm in games Im getting about 10fps extra, but in 3dmark 2001se (updated) I get 100 points less!?.

I never trusted that benchmark anyway, at least gaming benchmarks like quake2/quake3 and rtcw give a better idea of real world performance.

When I installed these new drivers I went back to AGP 2x. I have enabled AGP4x by going into the registry, you can also enable the hardware page from the registry.

Anyway to enable AGP4x and to show the Hardware control panel under display nvidia options do the following

1) run regedt32.exe
2) Head on over to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Video\

Here you will see the various display adaptors in your PC, on my PC I have 5 listed probably from previous drivers etc but the 1st and 5th entry seem to correspond to the new 40.41 drivers. I added the registry entries into both the display profiles\0000 to save rebooting if I picked the wrong one!.

The reason why I know that these two are the real display 40.41 nvidia profile is because of the way the resolutions are stored in the registry i.e. S 2048x1536x32=1; 800x600 848x480=1DFF; etc etc Anyway the registry entries I added were

type=dword
NvCplEnableHardwarePage
value = 1

type=dword
EnableVia4x
value=1

Reboot and then AGP4x should be enabled and when you go into the display properties panel of nvidia there should be an extra menu 'Hardware Options'

kill`em`all
08-29-02, 01:02 PM
I had a peek in the registry at

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\System]

"UseIntelCompat"=dword:00000000
"UseViaCompat"=dword:00000000
"UseNvidiaCompat"=dword:00000000

Anyone know what these settings actually do?.

volt
08-29-02, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by kill`em`all

Anyone know what these settings actually do?.

looks like chipsets to me
Intel, VIA, nforce :o

|JuiceZ|
08-29-02, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by pelly
Let me address this current trend of dismissing 3dMark...Personally, I do not live by benchmark numbers and I do not brag to everyone about my scores. However, I do feel that they represent solid information regarding the performance of my system.

Here, I can witness the weight each component has upon the overall system performance. ( ie: CPU scaling and/or differences between graphic cards )

If there is a large jump in performance in 3dMark, I think it is safe to assume that there will be a good jump in performance across the boards with games. Granted, some will be effected more than others. My point is that they generally all have performance increases.

3dMark is great when you don't have the time to fire-up half a dozen games or so and you just want to see if there are any major changes. In this case, there are and I am a happy camper because of it.

tru dat! rarely do I have time to run individual benches of my fav games. I think of 3dmark more as a generalized benchmark prog like pelly, if I see an overall speed increase I'm happy. Can't wait to give this puppy a try in UT though:)

Monolyth
08-29-02, 01:14 PM
If you can't get to them, here's a mirror I've setup on my webserver...

http://www.theddr.com/downloads/Detonator 40/40.41_winxp.zip

Enjoy!

ToastGodSupreme
08-29-02, 01:19 PM
Tired other D3D games. Seems to be Freedom Force only that's having problems with these new drivers... :(

hordaktheman
08-29-02, 01:24 PM
Actually there seems to be some loss of IQ, in that if you look at the grates in the Lobby scenes in 3dmark2k1, there is definite loss of quality. I may be mistaken but it also feels like general texture shimmer is a bit worse. Don't know if its just my comp., but feedback on the grates/vents in scene 3 would be great.

Gator
08-29-02, 01:31 PM
Warp2Search says "The new 40.41 Detonators' Control Panel doesn't work if you had installed a localized older Detonator before. To solve the problem, simply delete the 2 obsolete Files nvrsXX.dll and nvcpXX.hlp in your windowssystem32 folder , where XX is your language code. Additionally the file nvqtwk.dll from older drivers isn't needed anymore so you should also delete it to be sure."

b5fan
08-29-02, 01:31 PM
Hi,
tried the new 40.41 drivers and got these results on my system

AthlonXP 1700
256mb DDR PC2100
ECS K7S5A
Geforce 2 pro 64mb
Hercules Fortissmo 2 sound card

Quake 3 demo
176.9 fps ( no difference there, ran slightly smoother )

3DMark 2001 SE
4510 ( only 10 extra :( )

Grand Prix 4
recommended 30 fps ( More graphics being drawn, slightly smoother fps and the image quality of graphics was improved too)

Only lost 3fps on recommended fps but i got better looking game :)

This is where i got my improvement was too busy looking at the graphic detail to drive round track on monaco, more trees, extra cranes, new crowd stands and people on building watching race etc.
Got to admit i was amazed new drivers improved it :)

I like them at moment

If nvidia not releasing morew drivers for win9x then looks like i need to buy winxp home edition :(
Thats 90 wasted on software

pelly
08-29-02, 01:34 PM
Given the fact that I love being miserable and loaded with work, I think I'll try to throw something together comparing these drivers to a good previous set. Expect resolutions limited to 1024 though because I am not in the mood to dig out the 17" CRT to replace my LCD....

Don't worry, I'll still have different levels of eye-candy.......

I'll try to get it wrapped-up and sent to Mike late tonight....maybe we could have it polished and cleaned-up for tomorrow afternoon?

John Reynolds
08-29-02, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by hordaktheman
Actually there seems to be some loss of IQ, in that if you look at the grates in the Lobby scenes in 3dmark2k1, there is definite loss of quality. I may be mistaken but it also feels like general texture shimmer is a bit worse. Don't know if its just my comp., but feedback on the grates/vents in scene 3 would be great.

That's what I was worried about. I noticed texture aliasing increasing in quite a few games with the latest drivers (29.42s, 30.xx). Hmmm, and at the same time the aniso scores keep making significant jumps upwards. These drivers look like little more 3DMark boosters with some added functionality (functionality that should've been there years ago!). :(

Disturbed
08-29-02, 01:39 PM
I have a HUGE problem with these drivers on my system.

When running Counter-Strike or Neverwinter Nights, I get a double of the image plus lots and lots of blinking. When I ran the Werewolf demo after I restarted I saw Neverwinter Nights screen before the werewolf. Then the double image and blinking came.

If anyone has any ideas please email me at sevastra@hotmail.com or just reply in the thread.

Im running a Xtasy Geforce 4 MX 440 on a NForce motherboard with an Athlon XP 2k and 512 megs of PC2100 ram.

slidey
08-29-02, 01:41 PM
Has anyone tried RivaTuner with these drivers? Does the refresh rate fix still work?

ToastGodSupreme
08-29-02, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by slidey
Has anyone tried RivaTuner with these drivers? Does the refresh rate fix still work?

Rattatattat
08-29-02, 01:59 PM
Interesting that I don't have that option. Anybody have a clue as to why?

ToastGodSupreme
08-29-02, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Rattatattat
Interesting that I don't have that option. Anybody have a clue as to why?

because you don't have them enabled... :rolleyes:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"CoolBits"=dword:ffffffff
"NvCplEnableRotatePage"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\nv\Device0]
"NvCplEnableHardwarePage"=hex:01,00,00,00
"NvCplCpqConfiguration"=hex:01,00,00,00
"NvCplEnablenForcePage"=hex:01,00,00,00

Matthyahuw
08-29-02, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by kill`em`all

Anyone know what these settings actually do?. My guess is you enable your chipset if you have compatability issues....

digitalwanderer
08-29-02, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by VoodooNinja
I think they will be releasing WIN98/ME drivers very soon. If you look at Nvidia's site. They removed all WIN98/ME drivers, even the 30.82's. They wouldn't do that unless they had something to replace them.

Thanks for the encouraging news mate, when I hit nVidia this morning they still had the 30.82s up for downloading. Progress is good. :)

BTW-Isn't MS still supporting ME though? (Well, I guess they're not supporting "me" if they ain't supporting ME.... :p )

volt
08-29-02, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
My guess is you enable your chipset if you have compatability issues....

If you substitute 1 for the last zero it means it's enabled.
I will give it a try and see what happens :o

Rattatattat
08-29-02, 02:18 PM
Thank you ToastGod it works to perfection. Ill have to start reading these forums a little better for interesting little tidbits like this. Your the man!

Richthofen
08-29-02, 02:20 PM
"
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"CoolBits"=dword:ffffffff
"NvCplEnableRotatePage"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servi
ces\nv\Device0]
"NvCplEnableHardwarePage"=hex:01,00,00,00
"NvCplCpqConfiguration"=hex:01,00,00,00
"NvCplEnablenForcePage"=hex:01,00,00,00
"

Is there somethin similar for OpenGL to get this kind of refresh rate fix menue?

volt
08-29-02, 02:23 PM
Hmm, anyone figured out how to get rid of that NVQTwk.dll error?
Or should I just move that dll where it was before, so it doesnt brag about it :o

EDIT:
It's in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run

key: RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize

I deleted the whole key, because when I left NvCplDaemon alone it bragged that it's not present. SO if you want to try just delete that key and it should be fine. Mine works now, though I dont know any drawbacks to it.