PDA

View Full Version : Official Detonator 40.xx Feedback Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

slidey
08-29-02, 02:23 PM
Is there somethin similar for OpenGL to get this kind of refresh rate fix menue?

I'm wondering the same thing - I have always been able to override Direct3D refresh rates using dxdiag...OpenGL is the bigger problem, which I have used RivaTuner to combat in the past...

Rattatattat
08-29-02, 02:26 PM
ToastGodSupreme, I spoke to soon. Your still the man but the overides aren't working. I now have the option in the the control panel and have changed the settings but my monitor still reports 60Hz for every setting. Should that be all I have to do or is there something else?

RAST
08-29-02, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by monkeydust
Tried them on WinXP Pro and I was getting a NvTwk.dll (or something like that) error everytime I booted up. Tried running the installer and installing them manually with the same results.

MonkeyDust (and anyone else getting the NvTwk.dll error)

The reason is because you have a 3rd party tweak utility loaded which calls NvTwk.dll. This DLL is no longer used by Nvidia Dets so naturally the tweak utility can't call it. But the utility doens't know that and tries any way.

I foudn this out by playing around with my 2 systems that have different tweak utilities loaded.

NvMax says "Detonator 20.00 or greater not installed"
NvTweak dies with the "NvTwk.dll" error

I haven't tried all the utilities but it looks like they won't work with the 40.xx series (yet).

Dave

5150 Joker
08-29-02, 02:29 PM
Awesome drivers! I scored 14, 151 using max performance settings. My highest score achieved before was 13,328 so there was a substantial boost in my overall score. The biggest boost of course came from the nature test but all the other tests showed some improvement as well. Overall I'm impressed with these drivers so far. Now to try them in BF 1942 and Asherons Call 2 to see how they hold up.

Zarich
08-29-02, 02:31 PM
I dont get how to enter the information into the registry for the pages to appear. I dont have anyway to enter a hex value. Hex isnt an option. Is there another way to fix the refresh rate?

RAST
08-29-02, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by d1rX

It's in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run

key: RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize

I will just take out the NvQTwk part since this DLL is not present in 40's

I'd be cautious about editing the Hkey_Current_Users hive because that can get overwritten on the next reboot.

hedrums
08-29-02, 02:35 PM
I still play Janes F/A-18, and it has a problem with the new drivers (Det 40), at least on my system. Water now looks, well, stupid. The water texture is messed up (big, flat areas that tile poorly), plus the radio text is superimposed on the water in huge, backwards lettering!

It looks very odd. Does anyone else here still play this sim? Have you experienced the same thing, or does it work for you?

volt
08-29-02, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by RAST

I'd be cautious about editing the Hkey_Current_Users hive because that can get overwritten on the next reboot.

I just did that.

Open Regedit

Open HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run

Delete the key that contains the following: RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize (My key is gone so I forget what was the name of it lol)

When you leave NvCplDaemon in that key it will brag that it's not present. Mine works now, though I dont know any drawbacks to it.

jbirney
08-29-02, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by hedrums
I still play Janes F/A-18, and it has a problem with the new drivers (Det 40), at least on my system. Water now looks, well, stupid. The water texture is messed up (big, flat areas that tile poorly), plus the radio text is superimposed on the water in huge, backwards lettering!

It looks very odd. Does anyone else here still play this sim? Have you experienced the same thing, or does it work for you?

Try changing the default setting for Anisotropic filters from x0 (which appears to be a blurry mess) to x2.

It appears that x0 is the default and its results are something like point sampling. x1 looks to be isotropic, while x2, x4 * x8 working like they should:

From Neeyik over on B3D:

http://freespace.virgin.net/neeyik.uk/aniso/morrow0x.jpg
http://freespace.virgin.net/neeyik.uk/aniso/morrow1x.jpg
http://freespace.virgin.net/neeyik.uk/aniso/morrow2x.jpg
http://freespace.virgin.net/neeyik.uk/aniso/morrow4x.jpg
http://freespace.virgin.net/neeyik.uk/aniso/morrow8x.jpg

hedrums
08-29-02, 02:47 PM
Sadly, I'd already tried that. It did clear up the "blurry mess" on the land textures, but water was unaffected. I turned off "water shimmer" in the game to see if it helped, but it made no difference either.

I also tried moving the texel origin to center from upper left, turned on/off sharpening, etc., all with no effect on water. Sigh.

When I get home tonight, I'll methodically go through as many combinations as I can, but it sure looks like they've changed some obscure D3D semantic and messed up an older (but still great) game.

If anyone else sees the same problem (especially if you fix it), I love to know.

RAST
08-29-02, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by ToastGodSupreme

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"CoolBits"=dword:ffffffff
"NvCplEnableRotatePage"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\nv\Device0]
"NvCplEnableHardwarePage"=hex:01,00,00,00
"NvCplCpqConfiguration"=hex:01,00,00,00
"NvCplEnablenForcePage"=hex:01,00,00,00

Sweet!!

For anyone that's curious you can simply copy & paste that code into notepad and save it as a *.reg file (I call mine Coolbits.reg) then double-click on it. You'll get a pop-up message and you're ready to go.

Saves you from having to edit the registry manually and look up all those cryptic keys.

Thanks T_G_S! You're awsome!

Brimstone7
08-29-02, 03:00 PM
Just installed the drivers and ran 3DMark2001SE. There was no 1000 point performance jump; my score went up "only" 600 points (from ~8200 to 8760). My framerate for the first 3 tests was almost exactly the same as it was with the previous detonators, but the Nature test ran between 20-40fps faster. I assume the tests with DX8.1 features received the largest boost from the new drivers. Haven't had a chance to try any games, though.

I thought that nvidia's previous drivers were squeezing every last bit of power from my GeForce4, but I guess not. Very impressive to say the least.

kill`em`all
08-29-02, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by d1rX

looks like chipsets to me
Intel, VIA, nforce :o

Yep I gathered that

But what EXACTLY do they do?

Aynone with the technical know how care to explain :)

Matthyahuw
08-29-02, 03:03 PM
yeah thx TGS!
I put it in a reg file for all you lazy bums...DL here:
OH, rename the .txt file to .reg, then run it! koo!

slidey
08-29-02, 03:05 PM
ToastGodSupreme, I spoke to soon. Your still the man but the overides aren't working. I now have the option in the the control panel and have changed the settings but my monitor still reports 60Hz for every setting. Should that be all I have to do or is there something else?

Rattattattat, if you are running an OpenGL game it is my understanding the settings would not work - they are only for Direct3d. Can anyone confirm this?

cmsmith
08-29-02, 03:12 PM
Before everyone hops on the "OMG!! these are awesome" bandwagons, you need to really use these drivers. It appears that Nvidia is up to their old tricks here. To get the higher framerates, they are.... <drum roll>... dropping frames again!!! The smoothness of the display compared to the previous drivers is shocking to say the least.

Also, someone touched on this earlier but the IQ is dropping and has steadily continued to drop. If you take screenshots of games using pre-29.xx series drivers (older the driver, the better) and compare them to the newest drivers, you'll a fair amount of difference in the Anti-Aliasing (Quincunx) quality. This is another way they are "improving" performance.

Before anyone gets too rosy a picture, you need to head to the Nvidia Newsgroup and read up on what's happening. People are having big time problems with these drivers.

Hey NvNews, instead of being a fanboy site, how about doing a real review for once?

Zarich
08-29-02, 03:27 PM
confirmed.. fix does not work for opengl

sebazve
08-29-02, 03:40 PM
so it seems that IQ sucks. What about Aniso performance and the multitexturing thingy with aniso enable.

:mad: :rolleyes:

ToastGodSupreme
Originally posted by Zarich
confirmed.. fix does not work for opengl

hence the refresh rate fix settings to be located in the D3D area... not to be an ass, but it's quite obvious that since it's not in a system area, but instead, renderer-specific area, that it would apply to that specific renderer

JonathanM
Originally posted by cmsmith
Hey NvNews, instead of being a fanboy site, how about doing a real review for once?

LOL This guy cracks me up. ;)

Mojo
08-29-02, 03:43 PM
Image quality seems fine after youve played with some settings - just make sure you have D3D Aniso set to 1x... otherwise some textures will appear nasty and pixelated as jbirney showed so well...

-Mojo

JonathanM
08-29-02, 03:43 PM
Was it just me or did that .reg file ass Vsync options under D3D as well? I sort of recall seeing an empty space there in the more Direct3D tab.

RAST
08-29-02, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by cmsmith

Before anyone gets too rosy a picture, you need to head to the Nvidia Newsgroup and read up on what's happening. People are having big time problems with these drivers.

Thank you for posting your feedback in the Detonator 40.xx Feedback Thread. While it may sound like a "fanboy" thread it is in fact a Feedback thread and so far the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.

As these were just released today (or was it yesterday...) we don't really have the final word on how they do what they do.

sebazve
08-29-02, 03:50 PM
Can anyone show some picture comparing IQ the Det 40 and the last official detonators (all at default settings). Also what is Aniso x1???.

I want the best IQ, the days of bad IQ for speed are all gone so i will try this set if it has great IQ.

hehe maybe it is too much to ask:D

slidey
08-29-02, 03:51 PM
hence the refresh rate fix settings to be located in the D3D area... not to be an ass, but it's quite obvious that since it's not in a system area, but instead, renderer-specific area, that it would apply to that specific renderer

So has anyone attempted the RivaTuner (or any other) fix, to see if it works in OpenGL? I'll try it, but can't until later tonight...