PDA

View Full Version : Official Detonator 40.xx Feedback Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12

Zarich
08-29-02, 02:56 PM
refresh force works just fine.

Mojo
08-29-02, 02:58 PM
In addition to the built in refresh tool, i found that Refresh Force (http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rl/) seems to work fine (for both D3D and OGl)

note: Refresh Force doesnt work with Battlefield 1942 whereas the 40.41 built in one does

-Mojo

Zarich
08-29-02, 02:59 PM
battlefield 1942 will be fixed with the new battlefield patch.

MikeC
08-29-02, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by cmsmith
Hey NvNews, instead of being a fanboy site, how about doing a real review for once?

Yes sir! I'll quit my regular job, so I can get on that right away. But I've got an even better idea. You can do it yourself and post the results in this thread. Just be sure to give yourself a week or two to do a complete investigation.

saturnotaku
08-29-02, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by MikeC
But I've got an even better idea. You can do it yourself and post the results in this thread. Just be sure to give yourself a week or two to do a complete investigation.

Dang, Mikey, 'ya beat me to it. :)

sebazve
08-29-02, 03:22 PM
yeah Mike quit your job:D

Raptorman
08-29-02, 03:37 PM
Anyone else think the new control panel on the 40.41 drivers looks similar to 3dfx Tools? Anyways, the new drivers work great.

aeroblade
08-29-02, 03:37 PM
nVidia still overwrites the menuspeed registry value when you use nView. I don't see why they can't just leave the menuspeed value alone. I would like to use some of the nView features but want to be able to set the value for menuspeed. nView forces either 400 or 0, nothing else!!

Matthyahuw
08-29-02, 03:41 PM
I noticed I can't play nV Pinball well at 1600x1200 anymore...frames are in the 20s it looks like, ball is hard to track...

pelly
08-29-02, 03:43 PM
The last time I checked, we ( nV News ) haven't said anything about these drivers. All we have done is post information and facts taken directly from the press release. I should now, I'm the one who posted it...I took extra care to avoid any case where someone might say that we were slanted or that we were praising them without having tried them. As a result, we had no complaints and nobody had any issues with the post. That is, until some mental-midget decided he was in a bad mood and wanted to go rain on someone's parade.

Unfortunately, this "seasoned-reviewer" failed to open his eyes when he read through this forum. For, if he had actually spent the time to read the posts he would see that all positive remarks are made by people outside of nV News. People wrote positive remarks when they witnessed positive results. I can't imagine how that is biased or false in any way....

There have been a few bugs which have been reported in the thread as well. It should be noted that these drivers are "Beta" and a few bugs are to be expected. Resources such as this thread provide useful feedback to NVIDIA so they can fix these issues for the final release of the driver.

Hey cmsmith, instead of being an ignorant fanboy, how about making a useful and intellignet post for once?

Further proof that some people are miserable and feel as though it is their job in life to make everyone else miserable as well....

:rolleyes:

Uttar
08-29-02, 03:44 PM
After setting D3D AF to 1x ( This is really essantial, since 0x is default and it's nearest-point - that's pre-Voodoo stuff! ) , which decreases speed compared to 0x in theory ( not sure in practice, since i didn't have time to test it ) , i tried 3dMark 2001 SE ( just to see how nice the improvements were )

Score increased 6% - Not bad at all :)

Nature FPS increased by 50% from 40 FPS to 60 FPS.

High Polycount Count ( 8 Light Sources ) remained at 10.4.

Vertex Shader test performance actually DECREASED by about 3% ( Yes, i run EVERY test twice ) - as did a few other tests who decreased by about 2% or less. In other words, nothing major, but certainly no improvement!

Conclusion? This is a GREAT driver set. However, it only gives a boost to PIXEL shaders, not Vertex Shaders, Point Sprites, ...

It is, naturally, a very welcome improvement. But i wonder... What about Geforce4 MX? I'm pretty much certain those cards hardly got any improvement here - but who knows. Anyone got such a result?

Uttar

Quale
08-29-02, 03:48 PM
Hey Matthyahuw whats nV pinball?

Quale

CraigGen
08-29-02, 03:50 PM
The built in refresh fix didn't work for me.
3DMark, GTA3, and all D3D stuff just ignored what I set and went for the same refresh rate as my desktop, in any resolution.

I'm not a fan of WinXP for gaming, So I'm waiting patiently for WinME drivers. As this OS is still way better for gaming, emulators, and old dos gaming which I still enjoy.

PaiN
08-29-02, 03:52 PM
For the first time in forever an official Detonator release as given me problems. They were a complete distaser I wasn't even able to run one bemch mark. Plus they confused my monitor settings and wouldn't hold any settings. I had to go back to the 30.82s

ExitWound
08-29-02, 04:08 PM
Somewhere way back on page 1 or 2 I had posted about my maximum screensize being halved. NEver did find out why that happened. I uninstalled the 40's and went back to whatever i was using before, 29.42 i think. Thing was, the bug was still there. So i had no idea what It was all about. If i wanted to I probably could have put massive chunks of my day into fixing it, but a clean OS install was an easier way. 1 hour later I was back up with XP running and everything installed. I have most of my stuff backed up on another drive so the core OS can just be reinstaled easily. Problem fixed this time. i have the whole screen to work with again.

GeForce3. The celeron 566@953 showed very little increase in any of the hi-poly scenes in 3dmark2k1SE, but low-poly's increased a tad. NAture demo went from 17 to 33fps though!! that's nearly 100% :) I'm sure not too many of my games will improve THAT much since my cpu is a huge bottleneck, but i'll take what I can get.

Dazz
08-29-02, 04:11 PM
I recived no increase either :( with a TI4400.

saturnotaku
08-29-02, 04:17 PM
All these comments/feedback are reeking of when the original 21.81 detonator set was released last year. God willing, in less than 2 hours I'll be able to experience these drivers myself.

JonathanM
08-29-02, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Quale
Hey Matthyahuw whats nV pinball?

Quale

It's a small demo program that NVIDIA programmed to show off some of it's features. forceware was bundled with PNY cards if I'm correct. But soon enough, it spread upon the web which is where most people got it.

besides some smaller programs, it contained nvchess and nvpinball which were quite cool. heh

volt
08-29-02, 04:24 PM
"WHQL Certification Pending"

w0rd.

cmac0303
08-30-02, 03:51 AM
I just went back to the 30.30 after getting a blue screen saying that it was the display driver that caused it. It happenned in Madden 2003 and nascar racing 2002. They were faster drivers but if they are,nt stable then it is a no go.

Essense
08-30-02, 04:24 AM
Well, they are Beta "use at your own risK" drivers, it even says so on Nvidia's site. Not sure i'd even call them an "officail" release.

Regards,
Mike

Crippler
08-30-02, 04:45 AM
Just uninstalled the 31.00 drivers and installed the 40's.

Fired up Jedi Knight 2 , Its dark...

Oh man !!!!!!

OliverRedfox
08-30-02, 05:15 AM
I tried out the monitor rotation feature. It works okay. I fired up Jedi Knight2 but the screen resolution never changed, it just windowed the game. (The screen resolution changed fine when the monitor wasn't rotated) On the up side, the game still ran stable and fast as ever even when played sideways on my monitor. It isn't a feature of much use with my current monitor, but I've got some friends with LCDs who would love it.

Gehenna_CA
08-30-02, 05:24 AM
Anyone else getting artifacting in nature test on 2001se? I never have before but I am since going to 40.41. It pops up in other places too in the benchmark but is most noticeable in the nature test. NFS:PU seems to crash on replays now but thats the only game I've tried.

Crippler
08-30-02, 05:43 AM
Has anyone been able to overcome the darkness problem with quake 3 engines without addional 3rd party software/hacks...

Edit... Solider Of Fortune 2 is fine, only Jedi Knight 2 atm has the darkness problem.