PDA

View Full Version : Official Detonator 40.xx Feedback Thread


Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12

Nemesis77
08-30-02, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by imtim83 oh my god my score just about increased 1000 points!!!!!! I was getting 100 fps in nature at some points now!!!!!!!!!! Oh my god!!!!!!!! oh my god!!!!!!!! The lowest in nature i got was like 53 fps but most of the time 60 to 80 fps. I am like amazed that these drivers increased my nature fps and the other game demos of 3dmark2001SE pretty much. Espically nature. I mean heck i never even got close to 100 fps ever. And then i did!!!!!! I know 3dmark2001SE is just a benchmark tool but still oh my god!!!!! Now let me go try out FSAA and AF performence speed now, and real games i play!!!!

Yep, improvements in benchmarking-software is the greatest, isn't it? I mean, none of us uses these expensive 3D-cards to PLAY GAMES right? We just use 'em to run 3DMark.

Dazz
08-30-02, 05:59 AM
these driver suck ass not only with the hassle of getting them to work but now i can't use my TVout! all i get is a black & white picture and 40% snow these drivers are a disgrace for any manufacture!!!!

Radiator
08-30-02, 06:41 AM
Still can't figure out this Q3 engine problem...
Using a GeForce1 Quake3 is way dark, adjusting the brightness in-game or the gamma in the control panel washes everything out...

Using a GeForce3 with the same Q3 setup, everything is fine and lovely!
(and v.fast - anyone else notice 2xaa performance seems better!?!?)..

Anyone know a good driver set for the Geforce 1 ?? I can't play quake like this...

Danzig
08-30-02, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Dazz
these driver suck ass not only with the hassle of getting them to work but now i can't use my TVout! all i get is a black & white picture and 40% snow these drivers are a disgrace for any manufacture!!!!

You should be happy as I get no tv-out AT ALL on my gf4mx420
:mad:

Dazz
08-30-02, 07:04 AM
Sure it's like watching a movie with a aerial hanging off the roof :D

b5fan
08-30-02, 07:24 AM
hi,
tried the new drivers and odd games have improved a lot with more graphic detail being drawn :) but others got problems with playing dark :(

Athlon xp 1700
ECS K7S5A
Geforce 2 pro 64mb
256mb PC2100 DDR
Hercules Fortissmo 2


Grand Prix 4 - More graphics being drawn and slightly smoother fps

Unreal Tournament - Dark graphics and turned brightness up nearly full and no improvement, fps wise simular to before but felt slightly jerky odd times :(

Quake 3 demo - Ran timedemo 1 and got same fps as before 176.9fps

3Dmark 2001 se - gained 50 marks to 4551 from 4500 with 30.82 drivers.

Not tried anymore games, if Nvidia sort the problems out people having with dark graphics and get the smoothness back from 30.82 drivers these will serious rock in score and games.

So back to 30.82 drivers for me

pelly
08-30-02, 07:25 AM
Bad TV-Out? Weird...

Ben emailed this to us:
The new Detonators are very nice. In addition to the extra performance this new driver provides, the TV out function has better quality than previous drivers. Just thought I would give a heads up.

:confused:

legion88
08-30-02, 07:43 AM
I've been reading the reviews at other sites plus comments here.

Inconsistencies abound. Some say huge increases in Aniso performance in Quake 3 (http://www.3dgpu.com/reviews/det40.php), other says insignificant (http://www.boogletech.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=11&page=5).

Other say IQ was tampered with in a negative way. Others say that games now look better, with more detail.

The only common theme so far is that 3DMark2001 scores get a boost (due to the nature test) and the darkness problem in Quake 3 (and others). And oh yeah, the refresh rate thing.

Uttar
08-30-02, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by legion88
I've been reading the reviews at other sites plus comments here.

Inconsistencies abound. Some say huge increases in Aniso performance in Quake 3 (http://www.3dgpu.com/reviews/det40.php), other says insignificant (http://www.boogletech.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=11&page=5).

Other say IQ was tampered with in a negative way. Others say that games now look better, with more detail.


R1: I'd personally think 3dGPU scores are incorrect because Serious Sam 2 scores are HIGHER with 4x AA enabled!

R2: Reporting IQ problems mostly comes from people who got 0x aniso enabled - that's nearest point ( pre-Voodoo days! )

Uttar

styles-T
08-30-02, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by legion88
I've been reading the reviews at other sites plus comments here.

Inconsistencies abound. Some say huge increases in Aniso performance in Quake 3 (http://www.3dgpu.com/reviews/det40.php), other says insignificant (http://www.boogletech.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=11&page=5).

Other say IQ was tampered with in a negative way. Others say that games now look better, with more detail.

The only common theme so far is that 3DMark2001 scores get a boost (due to the nature test) and the darkness problem in Quake 3 (and others). And oh yeah, the refresh rate thing.

I know something is defintely wrong to be getting 12 more FPS and Having Q3 look so dark - Im not doubting nvidia and their capabilities but I think we all have to wait and see a detailed review on what NVIDIA actually did to get this performance boost so high.

I also cant wait for an updated tweaker for these new det drivers.

But I think D1rx said it best


Just a thought. Why do people care so much about 3DMark. It's just a synthetic benchmark and a war of "scores". I would worry more about how games perform rather how many points I gain.

saturnotaku
08-30-02, 08:40 AM
For what my $0.02 is worth, OpenGL in the 40.41 drivers seems to be improved. I did have the Quake 3 darkness issue but it wasn't terrible by any stretch. 1600x1200 with 8x aniso had me consistently at my framerate limit of 90 with no dropping. UT at 1280x960 with 8x aniso and Quincux AA looked great and was consistently between 70-90 fps with no noticable loss in IQ.

D3D was buggy, buggy, buggy, though, so much so that I reverted back to the 30.30 drivers. I think all the pieces are in place with these drivers, they just need some fine tuning.

BTW, I felt DVD quality was improved with the new drivers.

pelly
08-30-02, 09:00 AM
I noticed something strange with the new drivers....for one reason or another, the card did not like the "usual" overclocked settings I had with the previous 28.32 drivers.

The card would still run all the games and benches, however there were a few artifacts at this settings. I backed of a few MHz and everything was fine...

Strange...not the end of the world though...

:D

Fluke
08-30-02, 09:18 AM
Hmm. I installed these drivers.

I don't know what all the belly aching is about them. They work fine for me. I noticed the changes and put my drivers back to how the prior 30.82 were. Everything works fine.

I'm a FPS kind of person. I couldn't give a rats ass about quality improvements as I don't sit staring at my screen all day to notice any changes. All I know is the frame rates are working fine, they still work with Refresh Lock and my game work as they did before, including brightness/gamma.

I have tested these drivers among a bunch of online games, only thing I notice, which is really nice, is that these drivers have really smoothed out my gameplay.

Thanks Nvidia.

PreservedSwine
08-30-02, 09:26 AM
http://www.3dcenter.org/artikel/2002/08-30.php


You have got to scroll down, and "mouse" over the pic for illuistrative purposes.... Very cool.....

When the aniso setting is re-set via the new det's at "0", there is no bi-linear OR tri-linear filtering. This allows an increase in synthetic benchmarks, yet still doesn't speed up gameplay at all, while drastically reducing the Image Quality. This release should be an embarassment.

|JuiceZ|
08-30-02, 09:30 AM
posted by mike89:


Modifying the inf for the 40.41.s?
I have been modifying my own inf (before installing the drivers) for my refresh rates since there was a thread awhile back with lot of info on how to do it. I then found the Nvidia PDF on modifying the inf and used that also.

Now the 40.41 comes out and I can't make heads or tails out of the inf. Nvidia changed up again.

Has anyone figured out how to do this?

I would much rather set the refresh rates that way if I can figure out how.


__________________
AMD XP2000+, DFI AK76-SN (761 Chipset), 512 DDR, Visiontek Ti4600, Santa Cruz, WD 60 & 20.5 Gig HDDs, Kenwood 72X, Lite-on 32X Burner, Winfast TV2000XP TV Tuner, Logitech Z560s, Addtronics 6896A Case, Windows XP Pro

Lamentation
08-30-02, 09:39 AM
As for the nature thing, I ran 3dmark a couple of times with the lod set as high as it would go with 29.80 and didn't get anywhere near the increase these drivers give, so it ain't just that.

JamesDax
08-30-02, 09:39 AM
The drivers seem fine to me. All my games seem faster or atleast smoother. Madden2k3 at 1024x768x32bit c/ Quincunx AA, texture smoothing and 1x AF and all game settings on high looks and plays beautifuly.

cmsmith
08-30-02, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by pelly
Hey cmsmith, instead of being an ignorant fanboy, how about making a useful and intellignet post for once?


Ignorant fanboy?! You idiot, I'm not the one who puts up an Nvidia website and reposts Nvidia PR releases as news items. Yeah, I'm a fanboy. <snicker>

How about making a useful and intelligent (notice the correct spelling...) post for once?

::rolls eyes::

cmsmith
08-30-02, 09:59 AM
Somebody earlier made a comment that the new control panel looked like 3dfx's. I owned a v5500 then they went out of business. I since moved to a Geforce 3 then onto a Geforce 4 (would've waited for a 9700 Pro if I'd known it was comming out, oh well...). I don't recall the 3dfx control panel looking like that mess (having the options hanging off the sides like that is a mistake, IMO). However, it's been a while so maybe my memory is off a bit? C-ya!

saturnotaku
08-30-02, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by cmsmith
Ignorant fanboy?! You idiot, I'm not the one who puts up an Nvidia website and reposts Nvidia PR releases as news items. Yeah, I'm a fanboy. <snicker>

How about making a useful and intelligent (notice the correct spelling...) post for once?



You've obviously never worked for any sort of news organization. NVIDIA releasing any new driver set is news no matter how you look at it. Rage3D and any other video card site does the exact same thing.

So take a hike junior.

volt
08-30-02, 10:02 AM
On a final note I'm a bit disappointed with those drivers. Though WHQL is still pending nvidia should not release them just to battle 9700. Obviously that's what they thought they would do: boost your scores in 3D Mark. If you look at other sites everyone brags that they got 48922333++++ point increase in 3D Mark. I could care less because they don't perform in GAMES.
I played GTA3, Mafia and SOF2 and seen no performance at all. Someone even pointed out to me on other board that I should try Aquanox and Morrowind because this set of drivers improves pixel shader performance (where does it say that?). I will check that. Anyway those scores in 3D Mark look fishy. In my opinion those drivers were optimized for 3D Mark, and since "everyone" bases their opinion on that benchmark they thought they could get away with it :mad:. Yea they give you flashy new features but that does make them perform better? Not at all. I'm a bit confused here with nvidia. They are either trying to battle 9700 in 3D Mark or simply this set didn't come out "right". My 2 cents :)

cmsmith
08-30-02, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku


You've obviously never worked for any sort of news organization. NVIDIA releasing any new driver set is news no matter how you look at it. Rage3D and any other video card site does the exact same thing.

So take a hike junior.

You totally missed the point of the post. Satire and reflection seems to be totally lost on this group...

volt
08-30-02, 10:07 AM
cmsmith: you might want to tone down on your comments.

Saturn: so how was your GTA performance ? :)

cmsmith
08-30-02, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by d1rX
On a final note I'm a bit disappointed with those drivers. Though WHQL is still pending nvidia should not release them just to battle 9700. Obviously that's what they thought they would do: boost your scores in 3D Mark. If you look at other sites everyone brags that they got 48922333++++ point increase in 3D Mark. I could care less because they don't perform in GAMES.
I played GTA3, Mafia and SOF2 and seen no performance at all. Someone even pointed out to me on other board that I should try Aquanox and Morrowind because this set of drivers improves pixel shader performance (where does it say that?). I will check that. Anyway those scores in 3D Mark look fishy. In my opinion those drivers were optimized for 3D Mark, and since "everyone" bases their opinion on that benchmark they thought they could get away with it :mad:. Yea they give you flashy new features but that does make them perform better? Not at all. I'm a bit confused here with nvidia. They are either trying to battle 9700 in 3D Mark or simply this set didn't come out "right". My 2 cents :)

Indeed. I was about to post that the one consistent places that this driver performed well in was 3dmark and it looked "fishy". However, in the newsgroup several people are reporting they can't make it all the way through this benchmark so I held back. Apparently the driver is buggier than I thought.

cmsmith
08-30-02, 10:08 AM
I have no need to tone down my comments. I haven't attacked anyone any more directly than I've been attacked and my comments have been held in check.