PDA

View Full Version : Official Detonator 40.xx Feedback Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12

saturnotaku
08-30-02, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by cmsmith

You totally missed the point of the post. Satire and reflection seems to be totally lost on this group...

Well it sure as hell didn't sound like sarcasm to many of us. :rolleyes:

pelly
08-30-02, 11:14 AM
You idiot, I'm not the one who puts up an Nvidia website and reposts Nvidia PR releases as news items.

What a waste of space ( in between his ears )... :p
I just want to say thank you for boosting my self-esteem this morning...Reading your posts makes me chuckle and lets me know that no matter how bad my day may be, I will never be as miserable as someone else ( take a wild guess ). Despite the sheer joy I receive when I read your posts, I must ask you to post your thoughts in another thread. All posts here should pertain to the subject of these new drivers...

On a subject more related to this topic, has anyone tried playing around with the "hidden functionality" keys Typedef referenced on the front page?

cmsmith
08-30-02, 11:16 AM
At any rate...

Has Nvidia ever so publicly put up what they call Beta drivers before?! They are saying these are beta up front. I know that Nvidia has released some drivers and then put some WHQL version up afterward. 30.82 comes to mind. I think they at least thought those were final versions of the driver though. I don't recall them putting up obviously beta drivers and letting everyone know before hand. Just something I noticed...

volt
08-30-02, 11:17 AM
I have played with those, but they dont actually boost the performance. I get a serious slowdowns in GTA3 when aniso slider is at 4

ToastGodSupreme
08-30-02, 11:17 AM
So sad that it's come to this. Nvidia releasing these just for 3dmark. Personally, in games, I noticed no difference in performance.

On the upside, it seems Nvidia is listening somewhat by giving us the refresh rate fix built in now (too bad not for OGL).

Basically, I had one game that just wouldn't run with them (my Freedom Force issue), and the rest ran like they had before the update. Hopefully once they go through WHQL they'll be fixed up and whatnot. Though, with all the problems these are having, I'm betting that they'll be stuck repairing these half-assed drivers for quite some time. :rolleyes:

volt
08-30-02, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by cmsmith
At any rate...

Has Nvidia ever so publicly put up what they call Beta drivers before?! They are saying these are beta up front. I know that Nvidia has released some drivers and then put some WHQL version up afterward. 30.82 comes to mind. I think they at least thought those were final versions of the driver though. I don't recall them putting up obviously beta drivers and letting everyone know before hand. Just something I noticed...

I gotta agree here. I don't remember them putting betas online. Though WHQL is still pending I think we will see another set of these soon. I don't understand nvidia's politics with this one ;/

Typedef Enum
08-30-02, 11:19 AM
I've got to believe that defaulting to a Aniso. level of 0 was a mistake...There doesn't seem to be any difference at all, as far as performance goes, from 0 -> 1. It's not as if this one setting provided a massive boost in performance.

Of course, I'm curious why it's even in there to begin with, but that's a different story altogether.

cmsmith
08-30-02, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by ToastGodSupreme

On the upside, it seems Nvidia is listening somewhat by giving us the refresh rate fix built in now (too bad not for OGL).

It is nice they did that. However, on a somewhat related but yet different topic:

I could've sworn I read somewhere that MS was going to fix this in Service Pack 1 for WinXP. Is this not going to be true? Why then is Nvidia doing this?

saturnotaku
08-30-02, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by d1rX
Saturn: so how was your GTA performance ?

I was able to play the game smoothly at 1024x768 with quincux AA and 2x aniso, which is not something I could claim with previous driver sets. However, I experienced problems with flashing textures and other small visual anomalies that were enough to ruin my playing experience and revert back to the 30.30 drivers.

And cmsmith - you're the one who made first comments. You can't expect to become a member on this forum, make the kind of comments you did and expect to be given any kind of respect. We don't condone fanboyism, but at the same we don't appreciate anyone coming in and making comments about nV staff like you did and we will stick up for them. Your first comment provided no constructive feedback. Perhaps you could have provided us with a link to your "NVIDIA newsgroup" so we might be able to look at the comments there?

But as I'm looking, your most recent comments have been very constructive and if you had posted those in the first place, we wouldn't even need to discuss this. :)

volt
08-30-02, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
I was able to play the game smoothly at 1024x768 with quincux AA and 2x aniso, which is not something I could claim with previous driver sets. However, I experienced problems with flashing textures and other small visual anomalies that were enough to ruin my playing experience and revert back to the 30.30 drivers.

I think it has to do with the aniso slider, as the textures look pretty weird after you go over 1x

JonathanM
08-30-02, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Typedef Enum
I've got to believe that defaulting to a Aniso. level of 0 was a mistake...There doesn't seem to be any difference at all, as far as performance goes, from 0 -> 1. It's not as if this one setting provided a massive boost in performance.

Of course, I'm curious why it's even in there to begin with, but that's a different story altogether.

I recall seeing the point-sprites filtering option in NVmax way back... so it's been in there, just not as the default filtering method. (As is the case now). And yes, when I chose that method it did provide a performance boost. How much? I don't quite recall...

Anyways, i'd love to know why it's the deault setting now though. It looks like utter crap as displayed here (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=12743#post12743).

saturnotaku
08-30-02, 11:33 AM
I don't understand nvidia's politics with this one ;/

This has to be 9700 related because many online retailers are getting this card en masse and shipping them out to eager consumers who have been waiting for this card that I think will prove to be ATI's salvation.

There's no other rational explanation I can think of. :confused:

pelly
08-30-02, 11:33 AM
But as I'm looking, your most recent comments have been very constructive and if you had posted those in the first place, we wouldn't even need to discuss this.

Exactly.....

Thank you for the useful insight in your more rescent posts...

Could we have a link for that newsgroup? It sounds as though there's some good information to be had in there...

:)

volt
08-30-02, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku

This has to be 9700 related because many online retailers are getting this card en masse and shipping them out to eager consumers who have been waiting for this card that I think will prove to be ATI's salvation.

There's no other rational explanation I can think of. :confused:

That's what I'm thinking, but they never done that before.
By the way, take a look at this:

http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/40.41/NVWinRel40_Features_10.pdf

Adobe Acrobat Reader format
(Release 40 Features Bulletin)

Interesting read...

EDIT: werid that link doesnt work anymore

Fluke
08-30-02, 11:46 AM
Funny you all base you finding on what someone says. They weren't released for better marks in 3DMark. They were released to allow us to have fun with new features on the card and improvements in overall driver functionality.

Amazing that what one person says everyone bases their opinions on it. 3DMark is just some homo that came up with a bunch of demo's which test features most of us don't even enable in games and a point system completely derrived from someones imagination. I have better things to do than use someones interpretation of speed and performance to rate my drivers. I play games, if they are smooth when I play I'm happy. All you need is 30+ FPS and after that, who cares.

For me the drivers have improved my speed/smoothness in general and at the same time I have extra options to play with and tweak.

WHQL is a bunch of BS anyhow.. MS propaganda that means zip. You think they sit there and test every game?!? LOL. Some homo with a big salary at MS sits there, installs them, if it works they pass.

Wake up people and quit arguing and complaining with each other, you all look like fools. Want to argue, get off this board and meet in person and then argue.

volt
08-30-02, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Fluke
Funny you all base you finding on what someone says. They weren't released for better marks in 3DMark. They were released to allow us to have fun with new features on the card and improvements in overall driver functionality.

Amazing that what one person says everyone bases their opinions on it. 3DMark is just some homo that came up with a bunch of demo's which test features most of us don't even enable in games and a point system completely derrived from someones imagination. I have better things to do than use someones interpretation of speed and performance to rate my drivers. I play games, if they are smooth when I play I'm happy. All you need is 30+ FPS and after that, who cares.

For me the drivers have improved my speed/smoothness in general and at the same time I have extra options to play with and tweak.

WHQL is a bunch of BS anyhow.. MS propaganda that means zip. You think they sit there and test every game?!? LOL. Some homo with a big salary at MS sits there, installs them, if it works they pass.

Wake up people and quit arguing and complaining with each other, you all look like fools. Want to argue, get off this board and meet in person and then argue.

huh?
dude that's what the forums are for, and if you don't like it take a hike okay ?

crawdady
08-30-02, 12:02 PM
Anyone got a fix for this.Tried clean install,det.destroyer.No luck.

XP home edition
Gainward G3TI200

volt
08-30-02, 12:05 PM
I posted how to fix it, go back a few pages.

If you guys have problems getting that PDF here are the highlights:

N V I D I A C o r p o r a t i o n – C O N F IDENTIAL
R e l e a s e 4 0 F e a t u r e s B u l l e t i n – V e r s i o n 1 . 0 1
NEW FEATURES IN RELEASE 40
Overview
In this Document
This document provides a summary of the new features and enhancements provided with
the NVIDIA Release 40 drivers for Windows.
In addition to overall performance and stability improvements, the following are the
specific areas that have undergone significant changes:
• Enhanced Display Driver, DirectX, and Video Capabilities
• Enhanced nView Desktop Manager Features
• New Graphical User Interface
• OpenGL Enhancements
Other Documents
• See the latest edition of the Release 40 Notes for a description of changes between
Release 40 versions.
• See the Release 40 Display Properties Guide and nView Desktop Manager Guide for
detailed descriptions of these NVIDIA utilities.
N V I D I A C o r p o r a t i o n – C O N FIDEN T I A L
2 R e l e a s e 4 0 F e a t u r e s B u l l e t i n – V e r s i o n 1 . 0
CH A P T E R 1
N e w F e a t u r e s i n R e l e a s e 4 0
Enhanced Display Driver, DirectX, and Video Capabilities
WindowsXP SP1
• Release 40 supports WindowsXP SP1, including support for Windows XP Tablet PC
and eHome technology.
• Release 40 provides support for bugcheck EA callbacks, enabling OCA EA failures to
be resolved more quickly while assisting to identify failure causes—such as due to chip
instability or overclocking.
Rotation Support
Release 40 supports desktop rotation1, which allows the user to rotate the desktop by 90,
180, or 270 degrees.
• Controls
Desktop rotation is controlled through the NVIDIA display properties panel, or
integrated seamlessly with WindowsXP TabletPC.
• Graphics API Support
NVIDIA Rotation includes support for windowed and full-screen applications in all
rotation modes for Direct3D and OpenGL applications.
• Hardware Platforms
Rotation functionality is supported on desktop, mobile, and Tablet PCs.
DirectX 9 Support
When Microsoft releases DirectX 9 runtime, Release 40 will provide support for DirectX
9, which includes the new vertex shaders, antialiasing modes, and multi-display device
support.
Robust Channels
Robust Channels significantly improves driver stability by detecting and recovering from
hardware errors.
With NVIDIA’s Robust Channels feature, hardware problems—such as system errors
caused by corruption on the AGP bus or GPU errors caused by transient thermal or power
management conditions—will not cause the driver to fail.
1. Rotation is not supported on graphics cards based on the TNT, TNT2 or Vanta product families.
R e l e a s e 4 0 F e a t u r e s B u l l e t i n – V e r s i o n 1 . 0 3
C H A P T E R 1
Video Enhancements
Changes in the video driver include:
• Flip Sync functionality support
• Support for multiple Macrovision clients
• Simplified Video Mirror controls
TV Overscan Support
Depending on the TV encoder used, Release 40 supports TV overscan—allowing the user
to eliminate the black borders around the TV display screen. This option is accessible
through the NVIDIA display properties control panel.
Additional Enhancements
• Improved support for wide aspect ratio screen resolutions.
• Improved memory management support for Dualview.
• Improved memory management support for OpenGL.
N V I D I A C o r p o r a t i o n – C O N FIDEN T I A L
4 R e l e a s e 4 0 F e a t u r e s B u l l e t i n – V e r s i o n 1 . 0
CH A P T E R 1
Enhanced nView Desktop Manager Features
Feature Enhancements
The following features have been enhanced in the new version of NVIDIA nView:
• OS Support:
NVIDIA nView supports WindowsNT 4.0, Windows9X/Me, and Windows2000/XP.
• Profile Feature
Display Modes are now saved to—and loaded from—each profile
• Multiple Desktop Support
The following have been added to the NVIDIA nView multiple desktop feature:
• Support for multi-monitor wallpaper selection
• Graphical display in explorer shell extension
• Support for icons to represent desktops
• Support for arbitrary positioning of windows on the desktops
• Zoom Support
• New fixed-frame zoom
• Bi-directional zoom editing capability
New Features
The following are features that have been added to the new version of NVIDIA nView:
• NV-Switcher
• Improved Alt+Tab switcher which also supports Desktop switching
• NV-Switcher is expandable to other NVIDIA features
• Color Keyed Windows
Allows the user to color key windows for easy identification when activating them on
the desktop.
• Keystone Support2
• Taskbar and Menu Transparency
• New window actions, such as ‘Collapse’
• New applications settings, including a full set of application launch and disable
settings.
2. Keystone is not supported on graphics cards based on the TNT, TNT2 or Vanta product families.
R e l e a s e 4 0 F e a t u r e s B u l l e t i n – V e r s i o n 1 . 0 5
C H A P T E R 1
New Graphical User Interface
Media Center Tray Application
The Media Center Tray is a new application that replaces QuickTweak.
The Media Center tray is accessible through the Windows taskbar, and contains menu
items that provide access to all NVIDIA user interface software applications in addition to
the same display settings that the QuickTweak menu contained.
New Display Properties Panel
The NVIDIA control panel (accessed through the Windows Display Properties ->Settings-
>Advanced page) has been redesigned to make navigating easier and to improve control
over the display adapter settings.
Some of the new features include the following:
• Slider trays allow all pages to be available from the top level page.
• Dynamic tracking allows the pages to adapt to the state of the driver, and user interface
controls are modified, or even created, accordingly.
• Driver configuration changes are maintained across driver installations.
OpenGL Enhancements
OpenGL 1.4 ICD with Nvidia Extensions
• New extension includes ARB_vertex_program, which co-exists with
NV_vertex_program.
• Meets new conformance tests.
Enhancements for Workstation Applications
• NV1x line stipple enhancements
• NV2x 2-sided lighting optimizations
• Immediate mode optimizations for Solid Edge.
• Display list tuning for UGv17.
CH A P T E R 1
Additional OpenGL Enhancements
• Multi-monitor Improvements
New accelerated spanning mode is enabled by default.
• Reduced Power Consumption
Release 40 utilizes CPU cycles more efficiently, resulting in reduced power
consumption without sacrificing performance.
• Dynamic AGP/Video memory management
• Accommodates multiple applications open at the same time
• Dynamic Memory Resizing
• Allowance for additional memory tuning

I put up a mirror (http://rootforce.phpwebhosting.com/nvidia/40.41/NVWinRel40_Features_10.pdf) for the PDF in anyone is interested

sebazve
08-30-02, 12:21 PM
So this drivers suck?

should i install it?:confused:

volt
08-30-02, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't bother sebazve. Wait for another release ;)

sebazve
08-30-02, 12:29 PM
I wouldn't bother sebazve. Wait for another release ;)

ok thks its a no go then.
see you

pelly
08-30-02, 12:35 PM
should i install it?

Changing drivers takes less than five minutes....they are great for some and not great for others...why not try?

:D

saturnotaku
08-30-02, 12:41 PM
If you're stuck on a 56k connection, I say don't bother. It's 9 megs you don't need to waste. However, if you're on any type of broadband connection, in addition to me hating your guts, you should give them a try. You may have better luck than some of us. :)

Matthyahuw
08-30-02, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
I noticed I can't play nV Pinball well at 1600x1200 anymore...frames are in the 20s it looks like, ball is hard to track... Actually, I lied, for some reason FSAA was enabled by default :confused: so I disabled it, and it's fine! :D
I'm still on a GF3, so 1600x1200, and FSAA is a no-go for any game...

monkeydust
08-30-02, 01:06 PM
I just wanted to say thanks to everybody in this thread that gave pointers to resolve some of the issues that people were having with these drivers. After uninstalling all of my previous versions of NV drivers (which I had never done before), using the registry patch, and deleting the nvqtwk reference from my registry, things are working much better.