PDA

View Full Version : FX5900 card size

DSC
06-09-03, 11:18 PM
Anyone seen this?

http://www.hardocp.com/images/news/1055185973En1xomDtkl_1_4_l.jpg

http://www.darkcrow.co.kr/image/preview/2003/0306/Gainwardu1200/12s.jpg

Retail cards seems to be smaller than the sample cards that were shown in the previews. :)

pgn.inertia
06-10-03, 04:03 AM
Thought this was the case since the beginning; retail cards miss a lot of capacitors the review samples did have...

pgn.inertia
06-10-03, 04:04 AM
Still a big card though, Ti4600 size or something...

bkswaney
06-10-03, 05:20 AM
The gainward looks cool.
I also like the MSI.

I just wish they were not red.
At least they look better than the 9800. :)

Anyone know where there's a pic of the leadtek 5900?

I just might take my FlowFX off my 5800u and put it on a 5900 ultra. :D
It's the best cooling on a card besides water.
If it fits. Not sure with the 5900 being longer tho.

Kombatant
06-10-03, 06:00 AM
I am so tempted to post "omg it's huge":) The reviewed FX5900 was bigger than a V5 5500! Thank god nVidia decided to make it smaller, lots of people would have probs with their PCs otherwise...

pgn.inertia
06-10-03, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Kombatant
I am so tempted to post "omg it's huge":) The reviewed FX5900 was bigger than a V5 5500! Thank god nVidia decided to make it smaller, lots of people would have probs with their PCs otherwise...

I think the majority of the people who buy these cards (me! ;) ) have large enough cases to fit those cards in...

Hanners
06-10-03, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by pgn.inertia
I think the majority of the people who buy these cards (me! ;) ) have large enough cases to fit those cards in...

It's not so much the case size as the motherboard layout - If you have too long a card, it can cut across the clips for the RAM slots or even block off the IDE/floppy connectors.

It still amazes me the number of motherboard manufacturers who put the RAM slots so close to the the AGP slot that longer cards get in the way, and you end up needing to remove your video card to fit or remove RAM.

ChrisRay
06-10-03, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Hanners
It's not so much the case size as the motherboard layout - If you have too long a card, it can cut across the clips for the RAM slots or even block off the IDE/floppy connectors.

It still amazes me the number of motherboard manufacturers who put the RAM slots so close to the the AGP slot that longer cards get in the way, and you end up needing to remove your video card to fit or remove RAM.

My motherboard is like that, But is removing a video card that much a hassle? takes like 15 seconds ;)

Hanners
06-10-03, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by ChrisRay
My motherboard is like that, But is removing a video card that much a hassle? takes like 15 seconds ;)

Agreed, but it's still careless on the motherboard manufacturers part.

vampireuk
06-10-03, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by bkswaney

I just wish they were not red.

Dude red makes it go faster!:D

Skuzzy
06-10-03, 07:12 AM
There is a good design reason for why the rams are that close. Trace length between the CPU and AGP bus need to be as short as possible.
This is especially true on high FSB motherboards.

As Northbridge must be close to both buses, the layout options are pretty slim.

Longer traces increase capacitance. This is a bad thing and will cause instability problems. You also have to be careful with resistance as the voltage levels are already low. Move the ram or Northbridge further away from the CPU/AGP, then you increase the chance for false triggers, which would crash a system.
Noise becomes a problem as well. It does not take much noise to cause a trigger on these low voltage devices.

Hanners
06-10-03, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by vampireuk
Dude red makes it go faster!:D

So that's the real reason ATi cards have been so good over the past year! ;)

jAkUp
06-10-03, 09:36 AM
my fx5800 already hardly fits in my case... its sitting right against my harddrive...:rolleyes:

EMunEeE
06-10-03, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by jAkUp
my fx5800 already hardly fits in my case... its sitting right against my harddrive...:rolleyes:

Whoa:eek: ...fire hazard...lol...ok thats old. The nVIDIA cards are getting bigger and bigger.

GlowStick
06-10-03, 11:01 AM
To me it looks like the tape as 9", i meased and it will fit in my coolermaster case, BTW coolermaster cases are smaller on the inside than they look!