PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a laptop, please.

Medion
04-11-09, 09:44 PM
I have a few ideas in mind, including possibly waiting until they start shipping with Windows 7. However, I want to see if the experts here can surprise me with a few suggestions. Below are my requirements.

-I will mainly be using it for office type work on the go. A large HDD is not required (my home PC has a 160GB HDD, and I'm using less than 1/3 of that).
-Gaming isn't a concern, so integrated video and shared memory is actually preferred, due to heat and battery life.
-I want at least a dual-core and 4GB of RAM for Vista/Win7 performance, and a bit of future proofing. I want to get a good 5 years out of it.
-The longer the battery life, the better.
-I'd like to stay at or below $1,000, but will consider going as high as $1,500 if necessary, though I don't think that's needed for anything other than a gamer focused laptop.
-As little bloatware as possible. Preferably a brand that comes with a Windows instlal disc so that I can do a clean reformat.
-Yes, I'll consider an Apple.

|MaguS|
04-11-09, 09:54 PM
This looks like a good once, If you want a nice 17" then look at the Gateway FX Series. They offer great gaming capabilities at a great price.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9190038&type=product&id=1218052535546

Medion
04-11-09, 11:10 PM
Edited the original post. I found the answer to my MS Office question, so I'm good on that (box states that it can be installed on up to 3 PCs). Also, wanted to re-emphasize the fact that gaming is not only unimportant to me, but a gaming PC might be a detriment. Dedicated GPUs in laptops lead to shorter battery life, and more heat/noise. I'd prefer an integrated solution.

LaZeR
04-11-09, 11:27 PM
Get one of these:

http://www.ecarepackage.org/ecareshop/images/calculator.jpg

/thread

a12ctic
04-11-09, 11:33 PM
An AMD laptop with a 3200 mobility in it. That'll definitely give you the best bang for the buck.

bob saget
04-12-09, 12:03 AM
Get one of these:

http://www.ecarepackage.org/ecareshop/images/calculator.jpg

/thread

boo!
get Ti-83

CaptNKILL
04-12-09, 12:14 AM
An AMD laptop with a 3200 mobility in it. That'll definitely give you the best bang for the buck.

Do you know if the mobile 3200 is the same as the one in the 780G for desktops? That's a damned nice graphics chip considering the price of the systems they put it in.

|MaguS|
04-12-09, 12:28 AM
Edited the original post. I found the answer to my MS Office question, so I'm good on that (box states that it can be installed on up to 3 PCs). Also, wanted to re-emphasize the fact that gaming is not only unimportant to me, but a gaming PC might be a detriment. Dedicated GPUs in laptops lead to shorter battery life, and more heat/noise. I'd prefer an integrated solution.

Most mobile GPUs are very battery efficient, but if you want to go with intergrated then get a Levano Thinkpad... can't beat those.

a12ctic
04-12-09, 09:22 AM
Do you know if the mobile 3200 is the same as the one in the 780G for desktops? That's a damned nice graphics chip considering the price of the systems they put it in.

Yeah, I'm also pretty sure that the board its based on the 780G, if not a replication with some power saving features added to it. The 780G was also touted by most review websites as one of the most efficient chipsets, power usage wise, that you could buy at the time of its release. It wouldn't surprise me if that still held true. Meaning that it would make a great mobile platform, even though I think their mobile CPU's might be a little more power hungry the the c2d's. AMD is just pretty unbeatable in the low/mid range market, the 780G combination is just unparalleled by anything Intel has.

Medion
04-12-09, 02:48 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115539

Honestly, it's tough to beat this for the price. For a laptop that won't see a game more demanding than Warcraft 3, this laptop is a winner. They had a similar model using integrated (Intel GMA 4500HD), but it was the same price.

a12ctic
04-12-09, 03:34 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115539

Honestly, it's tough to beat this for the price. For a laptop that won't see a game more demanding than Warcraft 3, this laptop is a winner. They had a similar model using integrated (Intel GMA 4500HD), but it was the same price.

I would stay away, the failure rates on Nvidia notebook chips have been a nightmare. Acer's customer service is pretty bad too from what I've heard.

Medion
04-12-09, 04:34 PM
I was under the impression that the bad mobile GPU chipsets happened over a year ago, back when the 8800 series came out...I thought the problem was fixed long ago.

It was. The 9 series of mobile GPUs are a winner. Of course, the names are a bit misleading. For example, the 9800GS mobile is slightly weaker than the desktop 9600GT. The 9600GS is a relatively weak card, doesn't even compete well with the desktop 9500GT.

If I cared about PC gaming on a laptop, I'd go with an ASUS G-Series. However, the laptop is all about mobile productivity. An Intel GMA integrated solution is more than enough for me by today's standards.