PDA

View Full Version : 16:9 Display vs 16:10 Display - Which one is better & safe?

apoorvasheth
04-14-09, 02:31 PM
Dear All Experts,

Hello! My name is Apoorva. I am from India, Mumbai. I would like to ask few questions about 16:9 & 16:10 video format.

* Firstly, what's the difference between the two?

* Are there any videos available on the internet which contains the format of 16:9 & 16:10? So that I can burn these videos to a DVD media and play it on an LCD that supports 16:9 such as Benq e2200HD and on an LCD that supports 16:10 such as AOC 2230FM LCD Monitor found at the link: http://www.aocmonitor.co.in/22_2230.html

* What are the limitations of 16:9 video & 16:10 video?

* What are the limitations of an LCD that supports 16:9 & an LCD that supports 16:10?

* Which one could create an issue while playing a normal or a 3Dgame and while viewing a video - an LCD supporting 16:9 or an LCD supporting 16:10?

* What will happen when a 16:9 video is being played on an LCD that supports 16:10 and when a 16:10 video is being played on an LCD that supports 16:9?

Also which Graphics Card can be the best for an LCD that supports 16:9 & an LCD that supports 16:10 respectively?

Kindly assist me with an effective solution since my plan of purchasing one of these LCDs will be in next 25 days and e'm really worried that I simply don't end up buying an LCD with a wrong format which might create issues for me in a later stage.

Also, I request to kindly answer my above mentioned question exactly in the order asked please.

And if you have to suggest me between Benq e2200HD LCD and AOC 2230FM in terms of performance, clarity, stability, etc... than which one would that be?

Benq e2200HD Specification:
http://www.benq.co.in/products/LCD/?product=1368&page=specifications

AOC
http://www.aocmonitor.co.in/22_2230.html
(Technical Specification mentioned on same page).

Thanks in advance for going through my query and replying!

Regards,
Apoorva

Yaboze
04-14-09, 05:03 PM
16:9 and 16:10 are both very close and you shouldn't have any problems with a 16:9 screen.

In this case, you are talking about HD resolutions.

16:9 is also 1920x1080 or 1080p, which is used for HD Movies, TV's, BluRay, and Video game consoles. It can also be used with no problem on a PC.

16:10 is bigger, 1920x1200, which is mainly used on PC's. It gives a little more vertical space.

If you play a 16:9 movie on a 16:10 screen, you will get 2 black bars on the top and bottom, no big deal. 16:10 just gives you a little more viewable area on the PC side of things (text, Windows, etc).

WeReWoLf
04-15-09, 09:30 PM
I'm suspicious... Smells of spam to me.

apoorvasheth
04-17-09, 04:53 AM
Well abtomat74, could you kindly clarify what you mentioned below? What are you exactly trying to point towards to?

Secondly, I do not see where a Technical forum is being hosted.
All I feel is that if it’s the right or relevant place where I can ask my query, than I go ahead and do so, no matter where that forum is being hosted at. Why should anybody on the internet need to worry about where the forum could be located at.

Also, everybody across the globe has the freedom to register on any type of forums and help others with their expert opinions & expertise. So abtomat74, forget one thing that only people from the U.S. are allowed to register and post their queries. Are you a new born kid on this earth? Or are you a newbie on the internet....wired.

@Moderator:
Request you to kindly check with abtomat74 in regards to this comments posted.
I sense of him making fun of my country...which nobody is being given the rights to do so.

Regards,
Apoorva.

Wait a second...a guy from India calling the U.S. for tech help? :)

apoorvasheth
04-17-09, 04:57 AM
It seems to me like your comments mentioned below should have been in some other thread that you were trying to follow up and have wrongly posted here.

Regards,
Apoorva.

I'm suspicious... Smells of spam to me.

Monthigos
04-17-09, 08:27 AM
Apoorva,

Don't take abtomat74's comment too personally. He's just making a joke at the stereotype that much of America's tech support is outsourced to companies in India. I'm sure he meant no serious offense by it.

WeReWoLf
04-17-09, 09:33 AM
It seems to me like your comments mentioned below should have been in some other thread that you were trying to follow up and have wrongly posted here.

Regards,
Apoorva.

I apologise and take that back. It's just we've been over-run with spam bots lately.

apoorvasheth
04-17-09, 01:04 PM
Hello Monthigos,

Oh yes, that's correct! I didn't think of that. Maybe I misunderstood his comments. Anyway'z, thanks for bringing that point to my notice.

Also, LCD Monitors are still slightly costly in India these days though I wonder how the LCD Monitor Manufacturers can keep prices higher when "Recession" has hit the world globally. Will wait and hope the prices to fall down in the month of May...I hope so.

Here's what being priced in India, Mumbai for LCD Monitors:

Benq e2200HD > Rs. 12'000 = USD $ 241.378
AOC 2230FM > Rs. 17'200 = USD $ 345.975.

Let's hope for the best....:)

Regards,
Apoorva.

Apoorva,

Don't take abtomat74's comment too personally. He's just making a joke at the stereotype that much of America's tech support is outsourced to companies in India. I'm sure he meant no serious offense by it.

Gaco
04-17-09, 01:05 PM
Hello Apoorva and welcome to the boards.

I think you would find it interesting to read through a thread I started recently of a related topic here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=130681

As Yaboze, I also think it's not that much of a deal. However there is a certain difference in terms of flexibility, where 1920*1200 resolution monitors hold an advantage simply because it has an additional resolution standard available, namely the 1680*1050 resolution. Check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vector_Video_Standards2.svg (Note that I'm talking about 1920*1200 16:10 monitors here, not 1680*1050)

A 1920*1200 monitor will look a little bit nicer in daily usage in desktop, surfing etc. because of the slightly higher resolution but it will also be slightly more demanding in games because of the same. But the point is that 16:10 monitors can downscale to the still respectible 1680*1050 for gaming if 1920*1200 is too much for your hardware to play with good framerates. But if you pick a 16:9 monitor with 1920*1080 res, if you ever have to lower that resolution the next available will be 1280*720 which is considerably lower and also a good deal lower than 1680*1050. If you want to watch 16:9 material (for example Blurays) I see no problem in tiny black bars in top and bottom of the monitor because it's still displaying as many pixels as a 16:9 1080p monitor just over a very slightly lower area.

In conclusion, I'd go for the 16:10 monitor instead of the 16:9, given that they're 1920*1200 and 1920*1080 monitors respectively because of the forementioned flexibility in gaming. If they're ONLY to be used for high definition movies and surfing the internet etc., the resolution doesn't really matter that much IMO, and I'd look much more into the design, ergonomics etc.

Gaco
04-17-09, 01:15 PM
Looking at the two monitors, The BenQ and the AOC to which you first posted, I can see that the 16:10 monitor is actually a 1680*1050, not a 1920*1200. This means that you won't be able to watch 1080p resolution content (for example Bluray or h264 1080p encoded media) on the AOC monitor. But seeing that the two monitors are entirely different not only in brand and price (and probably also in launch date?), I would want to see them both in real-life and judge their picture quality on other parameters than the resolution only. See them and in the stores for yourself and compare things such as contrast, brightness, colors and refreshrate/smoothness. If they are kind of similar I'd definitely go with the BenQ of those two since it's much cheaper and have a greater resolution. Good luck and always be on the lookout for alternatives ;)

apoorvasheth
04-27-09, 07:31 AM
Hello All again!

Off lately, I just shortlisted one more LCD Monitor in the LCD HD race and that is: Acer H233H - 23" Wide 16:9 Full HD, the link for which is:

http://www.acer.co.in/acer/seu30e.do?LanguageISOCtxParam=hi&link=ln374e&CountryISOCtxParam=IN&acond125e=45188&kcond48e.c2att101=45188&sp=page17e&ctx1g.c2att92=904&ctx2.c2att1=158&ctx1.att21k=1&CRC=3039254852

Request you to kindly visit that link for complete product information.

It’s a 23inch LCD Monitor with 16:9 HD Aspect Ratio and has all 3 inputs which are VGA, DVI & HDMI.
Provides 3 years warranty and reasonably priced at INR Rs. 11'400 which is $ 227.169 USD.
Also has speakers but no Audio input but that's fine b'coz anyway'z, I am not going to use LCD’s Speaker since they are completely useless.

I have following questions to ask you all:

Q.1 Have you heard about Acer? If Yes, than how good & stable are their products compared to its competitors’ products such as LG, Samsung, Benq, Viewsonic, etc... to name a few.

Q.2 After visiting the above link & going through the product information and specification completely, if asked to compare among Benq e2200HD, AOC 2230FM and Acer H233H, which one would you people go ahead with & why?

Q3. Though the company says that it is 16:9 aspect ratio with native resolution of 1920 x 1080, but can it be true for a 23inch LCD Monitor screen size?

Q4. How stable is this Acer H233H LCD Monitor and how about its performance?

Q5. How does a higher DCR (Dynamic Contrast Ratio) value help a user?

Q6. I checked out with the Authorized ACER Dealer and they say that if Acer LCD Monitor has 7 pixels (dots) or more, then only Acer will consider replacing it. And he says that though other companies such as LG, Samung, Benq may claim replacement for 1/2/3/4 pixel(s) appearing on LCD Screen but they all too would replace the LCD Monitor only if 7 or more pixels appear on the screen. What’s the truth? Whom should I believe? Did you people ever faced any of such issues?

Here’s the link to PCMag and their review about this Acer H233H LCD Monitor:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2342886,00.asp

Kindly take a look at it as well.

Kindly let me know your opinion at the earliest…

And one more request, please answer all of my above asked questions.

Regards,
Apoorva.

saturnotaku
04-27-09, 08:14 AM
Acer monitors are decent, but God help you if something goes wrong. Their customer support is terrible, and they don't offer cross-shipment of warranty replacements, meaning you have to send the defective product back to them first before they send you a new one. I personally wouldn't buy a monitor without any sort of advance exchange service. Samsung and Dell offer it.

nekrosoft13
04-27-09, 12:10 PM
Q4. How stable is this Acer H233H LCD Monitor and how about its performance?

how stable is a monitor? what do you mean? it shouldn't tip over if that is your question.

apoorvasheth
04-28-09, 01:16 AM
Dear Saturnotaku,

Could also kindly answer these questions of mine?

Q1. After visiting the Acer link:

http://www.acer.co.in/acer/seu30e.do?LanguageISOCtxParam=hi&link=ln374e&CountryISOCtxParam=IN&acond125e=45188&kcond48e.c2att101=45188&sp=page17e&ctx1g.c2att92=904&ctx2.c2att1=158&ctx1.att21k=1&CRC=3039254852

and going through the product information and specification completely, if asked to compare among Benq e2200HD, AOC 2230FM and Acer H233H, which one would you people go ahead with & why?

Q2. Though the company says that it is 16:9 aspect ratio with native resolution of 1920 x 1080, but can it be true for a 23inch LCD Monitor screen size?

Q3. How does a higher DCR (Dynamic Contrast Ratio) value help a user?

Q4. I checked out with the Authorized ACER Dealer and they say that if Acer LCD Monitor has 7 pixels (dots) or more, then only Acer will consider replacing it. And he says that though other companies such as LG, Samung, Benq may claim replacement for 1/2/3/4 pixel(s) appearing on LCD Screen but they all too would replace the LCD Monitor only if 7 or more pixels appear on the screen. What's the truth? Whom should I believe? Did you people ever faced any of such issues?

Regards,
Apoorva.

Acer monitors are decent, but God help you if something goes wrong. Their customer support is terrible, and they don't offer cross-shipment of warranty replacements, meaning you have to send the defective product back to them first before they send you a new one. I personally wouldn't buy a monitor without any sort of advance exchange service. Samsung and Dell offer it.

mcolbourn
04-28-09, 09:06 AM
I always look at reviews on the internet before I purchase any monitor (or even TV come to think of it) to get a general idea of the quality of the product as they could say the image is great to them but it could be poor to you. So then I like to see one in the flesh before I buy it just to make sure the picture etc is up to what I think it should be. So really I would take a look at one in action first.

I would say that res is fine for its screen size. Its only 1 inch smaller than my one that runs at 1920 * 1200

IMO really high Contrast Ratios don't make that much of a difference to me one thay get that high(but as I said one person can think a monitor has a great display and another can think its really bad as we all differ in eyesight and working prefs)

Well its down to each manufacture to state how many dead pixels it takes before they can replace a monitor so you need to ask Acer direct (e-mail them maybe).

Logical
04-28-09, 10:21 AM
Isnt 16:10 the obvious choice ?

Reason i say this is because most 16:10 monitors will run 16:9 aspect ratio's anyway, giving the best of both worlds.

nekrosoft13
04-28-09, 10:27 AM

Reason i say this is because most 16:10 monitors will run 16:9 aspect ratio's anyway, giving the best of both worlds.

yes it is

plus with 16:9 you are using quite a bit of screen size. 23inch 16:9 monitors appear tiny next to 22 inch 16:10 screen.

apoorvasheth
04-28-09, 11:19 AM
Hello All,

There's a question arising in my mind that if this Acer LCD Monitor is 23inch in size, then why its native resolution is supporting only 1920 x 1080 resolution which is supported by a 21.5inch Benq e2200HD LCD Monitor? Don't you think its logical for a bigger screen size like Acer with 23inch to support higher native resolution compared to Benq e2200HD with 21.5 inch? B'coz here, I am trying to compare the screen size with the native resolution and I strongly believe that larger the screen size, higher the native resolution needs to be for an LCD Monitor else what's the point of buying a 23inch LCD Monitor?

Benq e2200HD: http://benq.com/products/LCD/?product=1368&page=specifications

And nekrosoft13, I must say that your Avtar Image is really very funny! :)
But it also appears from the image you selected that you must be angry in nature and might be getting frustrated very easily...apologize if you felt bad or If I am wrong but that's what the face structure of that person says. Anyway'z, you can do Yoga to keep your mind cool & calm!

Heheheheh!!!!!

You All Have A Great Day / Afternoon / Mid Afternoon / Evening / Mid Evening / Night / Mid Night / Morning / Mid Morning !!!!!!! (nana2)

Regards,
Apoorva.

nekrosoft13
04-28-09, 11:35 AM
Hello All,

There's a question arising in my mind that if this Acer LCD Monitor is 23inch in size, then why its native resolution is supporting only 1920 x 1080 resolution which is supported by a 21.5inch Benq e2200HD LCD Monitor? Don't you think its logical for a bigger screen size like Acer with 23inch to support higher native resolution compared to Benq e2200HD with 21.5 inch? B'coz here, I am trying to compare the screen size with the native resolution and I strongly believe that larger the screen size, higher the native resolution needs to be for an LCD Monitor else what's the point of buying a 23inch LCD Monitor?

Benq e2200HD: http://benq.com/products/LCD/?product=1368&page=specifications

it is not logical just because the screen is bigger it must have higher resolution.
Here is some good reading for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_pitch

Even if it was logical for it to support higher resolution, someone first would have to make a standard higher resolution, then all graphic cards would need driver update, etc..

Gaco
04-28-09, 02:49 PM

That's what I told him earlier although he didn't pay too much attention I think, and apparently he's just went on to ponder about other monitors :D

apoorvasheth you should know that there comes a time where one must quit researching and just make a purchase. Believe me, you can get to a point where you overspend the time because you want THE perfect, THE best hardware or whatever. But at some point you've just got to make a choice. Just look what your local stores or local webshops have available, know what your minimum required specs are, read some reviews on the ones you like the most, THEN (;)) ask in the forums and finally make a choice and get it overwith. That's the best advice I can give you at this point ;)

j0j081
04-29-09, 08:06 AM
It seems they are pretty much switching everything to 16:9 now. Are they going to completely get rid of 16:10 lcds?

nekrosoft13
04-29-09, 12:03 PM
It seems they are pretty much switching everything to 16:9 now. Are they going to completely get rid of 16:10 lcds?

they are not switching, they are just making 16:9 monitors as well. 16:9 is just a bad idea for a pc.

j0j081
04-30-09, 07:02 AM
they are not switching, they are just making 16:9 monitors as well. 16:9 is just a bad idea for a pc.

Are you sure? Most new models are 16:9 only and retail stores like Best Buy seem to be favoring 16:9 screens by far as they are released.

Maverick123w
04-30-09, 01:33 PM

I use my PC for watching movies as well as gaming and the black lines kill it for me. (I can't stand letterbox) So for me a 1920x1080 screen was the better choice.

You're also getting quite a bit of horizontal real estate for not much coin. I paid a smidge over $199 for my acer and I love it. Lots of 22"/24" monitors were significantly more expensive.