PDA

View Full Version : IE 8 screws up Windows Explorer double click

Greg
04-15-09, 09:44 AM
After installing Internet Explorer 8, double clicking a Windows Explorer folder to drill down causes it to always open in a new window.

Yes, I have made sure the Tools -> Folder Options -> Open each folder in the same window is set.

The only work around I've found is to uninstall IE8, not a big deal for me since I use FireFox, but I'd still like the useless software to coexist.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Vista 32 SP1, IE 8.

nekrosoft13
04-15-09, 12:39 PM
vista64 here, 3 machines no issue

Sazar
04-15-09, 02:18 PM
Vista64 here too and no issues.

Greg
04-15-09, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the responses so far. I wonder what is special about my config? I also disabled all Windows Explorer plugins / extensions to no effect. Uninstalling definitely resolves the issue, but that is silly.

Drolfrawd
04-20-09, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the responses so far. I wonder what is special about my config? I also disabled all Windows Explorer plugins / extensions to no effect. Uninstalling definitely resolves the issue, but that is silly.

Simple, your doing it wrong

ViN86
04-20-09, 05:12 PM
Vista x86 and x64, no issues here.

mailman2
04-20-09, 07:21 PM
no problems here either.

3 machines Vista x64, 2 Windows 7 7077. All have IE 8.

nekrosoft13
04-20-09, 08:22 PM

try uninstalling mouse software, maybe it is mouse software specific. for example logitech mouse have issues with older id engine games, have to either disable or enable something (don't remember, need to look it up)

either way, it is worth the try.

Bman212121
04-20-09, 09:47 PM
After installing Internet Explorer 8, double clicking a Windows Explorer folder to drill down causes it to always open in a new window.

Yes, I have made sure the Tools -> Folder Options -> Open each folder in the same window is set.

The only work around I've found is to uninstall IE8, not a big deal for me since I use FireFox, but I'd still like the useless software to coexist.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Vista 32 SP1, IE 8.

Did you try changing it to open each folder in own window apply it, then try changing it back?

Greg
04-20-09, 10:10 PM
Did you try changing it to open each folder in own window apply it, then try changing it back?
Yes, so far I've tried these things...
1) Control Panel -> Folder Options -> Open each folder in the same window (back and forth)

2) Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View -> Launch folder windows in a separate process (and reboot)

3) Uninstall all recently installed software in the last week. Including nVidia driver.
(It turned out that Internet Explorer was the cause.)

4) Downloaded ShellExView too and disabled every explorer extension except 2 that are required to run explorer at all.

5) Ran Regedit and checked HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell for value other than 'none'

6) Ran command regsvr32 /i shell32.dl to restore some shell default behavior

7) Regedit check HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder and copy all common values from another working Vista install.

Sazar
04-20-09, 10:58 PM
/me shrugs

x64 on 2 systems, x32 on another, no issues.

Greg
04-20-09, 11:11 PM
try uninstalling mouse software, maybe it is mouse software specific. for example logitech mouse have issues with older id engine games, have to either disable or enable something (don't remember, need to look it up)

either way, it is worth the try.
Thanks for that suggestion. I can plug in another mouse, but I hesitate to completely remove drivers for the logitech mouse because I have so many macros/apps/games configured for it and I wouldn't want to reconfigure if I screw up the un/re-install. If I was simply getting (the effect of) a double click from the mouse, the issue should not occur if I use the keyboard to select the folder. I'll try that first.

Greg
04-20-09, 11:38 PM
Looks like I'm not alone...

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2009/03/19/internet-explorer-8-final-available-now.aspx
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=748876&st=0
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=131307
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/32958968/ie8-beta-2-problem-new-t.aspx

mullet
04-20-09, 11:53 PM
Windows 95A phat-16, no issues.

/me shrugs fast a lot.

Greg
04-21-09, 02:32 AM
This fixed it....

Source: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/conversation.aspx?messageid=34297087&threadid=32958968

* open a new "Command Prompt" window by right-clicking and selecting "Run
as administrator";
* at the prompt, run the command "regsvr32 actxprxy.dll".

Apparently this particular DLL does not get registered correctly for some
users. I have no idea why. Microsoft probably needs to research the various
software conflicts with the install, and correct this.

Merely running IE As Administrator once as suggested elsewhere was not adequate.