PDA

View Full Version : Zune HD specs --- NVIDIA Tegra powered!!

nekrosoft13
04-15-09, 07:54 PM
Over the last week there has been a ton of buzz around Microsoft's upcoming device update which we have confirmed will be labeled as the Zune HD. We've teamed up with Ryan Rea (aka volvoshine) from LiveSide.net and are going to let the world know what we do and do not know about the Zune HD. We've got the green light to go ahead and share the specs that our sources within Microsoft have confirmed to us.

An overview of the Zune HD specs:

3.6 inchish OLED full touch screen.
NVIDIA Tegra powered.
4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, and 120GB versions.
HDMI Connection to stream straight to your TV.
HD Radio.
Web Browser.
WiFi compatible, with wireless marketplace.
Released, early fall.
International release of the Zune device itself.
Home AV packs, Car packs, Charge packs.
Unconfirmed rumors (A Microsoft spokesperson declined to comment or confirm):

Camera?
Company insiders tipped us off with the possibility of a limited edition dock accessory in various colors.
3D Xbox Game Support?
Windows Mobile 7 preview bits included? (Maybe these reports mean an early WinMo 7 beta?)
There has been a tremendous amount of buzz created throughout the past week regarding the Zune HD, with a ton of speculation regarding the device. We were asked by some members of the Zune team to remember, the device is still months away. The specs, UI, and the device form factor itself can change before the launch later this year. We're excited, just as many of our international viewers are excited.

The entire Zune platform is being completely overhauled, just as Steve Ballmer mentioned back at CES earlier this year. You've got the software division and the hardware division. There have been reports and speculation that this could possibly be the last Zune release, however I'm very confident that Microsoft is going to be competitive this time around with the Zune.

As we reported earlier this year, the Zune is here to stay. As soon as more information is available regarding the Zune HD, we'll pass it on. Remember, take the speculation and rumors with a grain of salt before getting too excited. Keep your eyes open on May 14, your Zune software might just be updating.

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/04/15/exclusive-lets-talk-some-zune-hd-specs

Buenamos
04-15-09, 08:05 PM
OLED screen! That's gotta be expensive for them to manufacture with that feature alone...

saturnotaku
04-16-09, 05:04 AM
What is HD Radio, 1080p FM? :p

You could think of it that way. It's basically CD quality AM and FM broadcasting. There are also additional "hidden" stations that can only be accessed via HD Radio. For example, you might have a station on 97.1 FM. They also might run one or two additional HD feeds, which would be 97.1 FM-1, FM-2, etc. It's pretty cool, when it actually works. I've used it in a few BMW cars, but a lot of times the HD signal will simply drop for no good reason. I could be standing still in an open parking lot on a bright, sunny day, and the HD signal would frequently cut out. IMO, it's a technology that's not quite ready for prime time.

Badboy_12345
04-16-09, 07:29 AM
If it also was a phone then I would be interested...

I dont want to carry around multiple gadgets.

a12ctic
04-16-09, 07:43 AM
More interested in that $100 terga/arm based nettop that can play 1080p video and last a day on a charge. **** x86 haha.

K007
04-16-09, 07:47 AM
if the price is good i am keen.

Absolution
04-16-09, 12:30 PM
Hopefully it doing run hot/have a short battery life. nVidia isn't exactly been known for their power/watt efficiency.

Bman212121
04-16-09, 01:55 PM
It's definitely sounding interesting to me. It would be more like a portable game system than anything. If you had HDMI out and could play any videos you had on it on a tv. It would be completely badass to pull that out of your pocket at a friends house and be able to show a movie you have.

kazna
04-16-09, 04:53 PM
**** x86 haha.
I know right! Who needs Flash support nettops and netbooks?!?

Now if Flash does get ported to ARM11 (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2334753,00.asp), we can talk...

Getting back on topic, Tegra totally wipes the floor with the iPod Touch/iPhone when it comes to cpu and graphics power. Coupled with an HD screen, there could be some pretty awesome games to spring up for the Zune HD platform!

a12ctic
04-16-09, 05:52 PM
I know right! Who needs Flash support nettops and netbooks?!?

Now if Flash does get ported to ARM11 (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2334753,00.asp), we can talk...

Getting back on topic, Tegra totally wipes the floor with the iPod Touch/iPhone when it comes to cpu and graphics power. Coupled with an HD screen, there could be some pretty awesome games to spring up for the Zune HD platform!

Symbian has been able to play flash pages for ages. Its not like the processor isnt capable.

Aphot
04-16-09, 06:20 PM
So they are going to release this then come out with a phone? Why don't they just go straight to the phone then people don't have to waste their time.

Bman212121
04-16-09, 08:54 PM
I'd rather it not be a phone. I'm already content with what I have, so it would be useless for me if it doubled as a phone. If they design a well rounded device first, then can then try to incorporate a phone into it. That way they don't end up with a device that is only halfway done.

nekrosoft13
04-16-09, 09:13 PM
I'd rather it not be a phone. I'm already content with what I have, so it would be useless for me if it doubled as a phone. If they design a well rounded device first, then can then try to incorporate a phone into it. That way they don't end up with a device that is only halfway done.

same here, don't want it to be a phone.

bob saget
04-16-09, 11:28 PM
will be nice to see how it performs.
lovin my 30 gig....

josiahsuarez
04-20-09, 01:01 AM
is this really HD resolution? on a 3.6 inch screen? D: