PDA

View Full Version : 9800 gtx+ keeps crashing

djhandz
04-16-09, 09:38 AM
hi guys my inno3d card keeps crashing when i am playing games i have tried all drivers i have used driver sweep i have tried everything i really feel like the bios needs flashing on my card when i say crash i can be playing a game and the machine will lock up will get a blank screen mouse will move for a couple of seconds and thats it i have to reboot the system i have even changed powersupply from winpower to antec 700 what thinking it was that but it is just the same i even tried using a friends card in my system a 9800 and it was fine played all day with no crashes ..i have read a few storys of this and a bios flash seem to fix it for them please help me ..my specs

phenomII 940 be
4 gb 800 ram
500 gig hd
2 x inno3d 9800gtx+ 512mb

cheers

jcniest5
04-16-09, 01:17 PM
Have you checked on the temp of your GPU? It could be overheating. Use EVGA's Precision program and check on temperature or force the fan to spin 100% and see if it helps.

djhandz
04-16-09, 05:53 PM
hi guys my inno3d card keeps crashing when i am playing games i have tried all drivers i have used driver sweep i have tried everything i really feel like the bios needs flashing on my card when i say crash i can be playing a game and the machine will lock up will get a blank screen mouse will move for a couple of seconds and thats it i have to reboot the system i have even changed powersupply from winpower to antec 700 what thinking it was that but it is just the same i even tried using a friends card in my system a 9800 and it was fine played all day with no crashes ..i have read a few storys of this and a bios flash seem to fix it for them please help me ..my specs

phenomII 940 be
4 gb 800 ram
500 gig hd
2 x inno3d 9800gtx+ 512mb

cheers

thankyou i have tried all that its not heat related it does it at 55c -60c

jcrox
04-16-09, 10:58 PM
My first guess would be that it's a memory issue. Not video card memory, System Memory.

Monthigos
04-17-09, 09:13 AM
My last build had a memory module that went bad and it was giving me BSODs with all sorts of errors like video & sound dlls. It wouldn't hurt to run memtest86 overnight and see if anything pops up.

However I think it really is a heat issue. I just got a 9800 gtx+ and I was having crashes similar to yours. The screen would go black, but I could still see the mouse cursor and move it around and then ultimately it would lock up. I checked and monitored the temps through a variety of programs: GPU-Z, SpeedFan, SensorView & RivaTuner. None of them reported the GPU going over 75c under load. Finally I got EVGA precision, and much to my surprise the program reported that the temperature was going all the way up to 90c on full load!

The first thing I did was throttle back the GPU clock from 740 to 700 and that dropped the temperature a few degrees. I didn't see a noticeable drop in frame rate. I tried to set the fan to 100%, but my graphics card like to set it back to auto mode on its own. Finally I bit the bullet, took the card out and separated the heatsink from the GPU.

You wanna know what I found? So much damn thermal paste that it was spilling over onto the circuit board. So I went looking through my stuff and got out my ArcticClean kit and syringe of Arctic Silver 5. I cleaned all that gunk off and put a small gob of AC5 in the middle.

My temperatures IMMEDIATELY dropped dramatically. I'm get about 60c under load for most games, and the really intensive ones are hitting about 68c. And the AC5 still hasn't set in (I believe its about 200 hours of usage before it takes full effect). No more crashing though!

One point of note if you do decide to re-seat your fan/heatsink - I've been reading reports that Ceramique is actually safer to use on the GPU than AC5 because it doesn't conduct electricity. Supposedly its more of an issue with GPUs than CPUs. I haven't seen any problems yet, though.