PDA

View Full Version : Dual boot question..

Tactics
08-30-02, 01:32 PM
I just got my new HD and i'm going to put 98SE on one partition and XP on another.

Question when I install my games on 98SE (hince XP still has issues with some games) do I have to install them in the XP partition also if I want to play them when I'm in XP? Silly question I think but I never had a partition before so I would assume it's like having 2 different OS on one drive.

Also there was a liknk here I believe like 2 weeks ago that had to do with an XP tweaking guide. I was pretty indepth. I can't find it and I been trying to get my grubby little hands on stuff like this so I can see what people have been doing to get make sure XP runs at it's best. Service pack 1 hopefully will be out soon so I don't have headaches like some folks had with XP. Was it nvnews that had that XP guide??

Thanx

Switch
08-30-02, 01:53 PM
The problem with playing games using both OS's is that, say you install game X in Windows 98, well the files are going to be there when your in XP but the registry entries the game has made will not be entered in the XP registry...

When I was dual booting Windows 2000 and Windows 98 what I did was installed the game in one OS and then went to the other OS and installed it in the same directory... In doing so both OS's have the registry entries and both are using the same files. It's a little primative, but it works.

Tactics
08-30-02, 03:17 PM
well the files are going to be there when your in XP but the registry entries the game has made will not be entered in the XP registry...

ok cool thx. I did hear that before and I guess what you said is the only way to do it and have both games work in each OS.
:)

Tactics
09-02-02, 02:48 PM
Well I was just doing some reading and read that XP can be setup as NTFS

What's the best setup? 98SE will be FAT32 and XP can do FAT32 and NTFS... what should XP be set at? I figure it would be NTFS because it's going to be on a totally different partition then 98 so it won't mess with 98 being FAT32. thx

:cool:

Switch
09-02-02, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Tactics
Well I was just doing some reading and read that XP can be setup as NTFS

What's the best setup? 98SE will be FAT32 and XP can do FAT32 and NTFS... what should XP be set at? I figure it would be NTFS because it's going to be on a totally different partition then 98 so it won't mess with 98 being FAT32. thx

:cool:

I'd use NTFS for XP only if you don't plan to use that partition at all when in 98SE.

The Baron
09-02-02, 03:55 PM
If it's NTFS, 98SE can't read it AT ALL. Maybe there are some 3rd party utilities you can install, but it can't straight out of the box.

Of course, that's not a bad thing, I wouldn't want 98SE coming near XP either :p

Tactics
09-02-02, 05:30 PM
I won't be using that partition at all when in 98SE

Baron when you say "can't read it at all" do you mean I won't be able to view/access any files? If so is that a bad thing? I would assume not since I have 2 totally seperate OS's and I don't want them interacting at all. thx man.

Switch
09-02-02, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Tactics
I won't be using that partition at all when in 98SE

Baron when you say "can't read it at all" do you mean I won't be able to view/access any files? If so is that a bad thing? I would assume not since I have 2 totally seperate OS's and I don't want them interacting at all. thx man.

95/98/ME Cannot read NTFS AT ALL, unless it's through a network. Being you have two seperate OS's it's not a bad thing.

Chiles4
09-04-02, 02:22 PM
You might want to consider an alternative that I use. I use a Nicklock hardware dual-boot manager. It cost $20 and you simply connect it to two hard drives with different OSes and turn the key corresponding to that drive. It fits in a 5" or 3.5" inch bay. They have them at Newegg.

It's greatly simplified my life as wife runs our online store on one drive while I frag on the other. It gives you alot of flexibility to screw up one system without affecting the other. BTW, we're both running Win98SE.

Tactics
09-04-02, 02:56 PM
It cost $20 and you simply connect it to two hard drives with different OSes and turn the key corresponding to that drive.

That seems kind of cool but I only want to use one hard drive since I have 80 gigs to play with and I pretty much only play games. :)

The Baron
09-04-02, 04:29 PM
Only problem with those kind of drive switching arrangements is that if you turn the thing while the box is on, you can really kill a drive.

Just kind of risky, don't want anybody knocking it.

de><ta
09-06-02, 08:19 AM
stick with 98 if you are just playing games.

If you must have XP set it to NTFS and 98 to fat32. Once some of my ME files got corrupt when i tried to check my ports and it picked up the registry setting from 98.

However i seriously do not think you need XP and 98. The space used by XP can be used more productively by...:rolleyes:.... installing and playing games on that space:D

Tactics
09-06-02, 01:11 PM
True.. but I want to slowly convert over to XP and leave 98 going for a while since M$ and Creative and whoever else -- will stop making drivers that support our video cards, sound cards and the new VIA drivers are totally geared toward XP. I can't use them for 98. It says for all OS's but many people are getting fooked for using them according to VIA forums. I like AMD and don't want to switch over to intel or non VIA motherboard. ;)

Chiles4
09-06-02, 02:02 PM
if you turn the thing while the box is on, you can really kill a drive. Actually, I do that all the time...I start the shutdown process on one side and before the Windows screen turns black I turn the key to boot the other side. If I wait until the screen goes black it will still boot the same side not the other.

I'm not familiar enough with the POST process to comment but the system acts as if it only needs the key in the right position during the start of the POST process. Once it identifies the drive, you can play hacky-sack with the key if you want.

Have you heard of any problems with doing this, Baron?

The Baron
09-06-02, 03:45 PM
Basically, I've heard that it can corrupt data REALLY fast, and if it also controls the power (I'm not too familiar with these things), it wouldn't surprise me if it could kill a drive while the heads are moving on one...

Chiles4
09-07-02, 10:39 AM
The Nicklock is probably the simplest model on the market today. It doesn't control power - both drives are powered up at boot. It simply has a keylock with two sets of wires ending in a jumper. It's so simple it almost looks laughable. One jumper goes on each drive's Master jumper pins. When you turn the key it simply gives continuity to that drive's jumper pins so that that bios detects that drive and not the other. In the bios, you set Primary Slave to NONE so that the other is not detected at all. Or if like confusing setups, you can leave the bios' Primary Slave to Auto and the other drive will be slaved to the "new" master.

As you can see, this is an extremely simple model. I don't think I'd consider anything model more complex than this - especially one that controlled power to the drive! In this case, the simplest method truly is the best!