PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XIII Demo is 5GB+

|MaguS|
04-16-09, 09:41 PM
Wow, This might be a hint at how many discs the game will be on the X360. The 1 hour demo released on the Blu-Ray version of Advent Children is coming in at over 5GB in size.

Now lets say they get some compression going and lower the resolution of FMV for the X360 version, we can be looking at most an hour per GB, maybe. With the average game time of a Final Fantasy hitting 25 hours+ the game could be possibly 5 discs or so (mind you that multiple discs often need more data repeated then on a single disc, especially if the game allows you to backtrack).

We all know that the X360 version will be multiple discs but the question is how many. Lost Odyssey used the Unreal 3 Engine and was 4 discs... Final Fantasy XIII could easily be over 6 it looks like.

http://kotaku.com/5215534/just-how-big-is-that-final-fantasy-xiii-demo

Zelda_fan
04-16-09, 10:38 PM
tEEE hEEE

i aM tEH mAgU|s aDn i h4T3 tEH sEXb0X3060!!!!

Medion
04-16-09, 10:48 PM
Part of me says that it won't really matter how many discs there are, provided the two versions are identical. But let's be real here, I now like to install my console games. If FF13 is "only" 4 discs, that's going to end up being up to 27GB installed, or nearly a quarter of my HDD. I'll just take the PS3 version provided the 360 version isn't noticeably superior.

Ninja Prime
04-17-09, 01:40 AM
Wow, This might be a hint at how many discs the game will be on the X360. The 1 hour demo released on the Blu-Ray version of Advent Children is coming in at over 5GB in size.

Now lets say they get some compression going and lower the resolution of FMV for the X360 version, we can be looking at most an hour per GB, maybe. With the average game time of a Final Fantasy hitting 25 hours+ the game could be possibly 5 discs or so (mind you that multiple discs often need more data repeated then on a single disc, especially if the game allows you to backtrack).

We all know that the X360 version will be multiple discs but the question is how many. Lost Odyssey used the Unreal 3 Engine and was 4 discs... Final Fantasy XIII could easily be over 6 it looks like.

http://kotaku.com/5215534/just-how-big-is-that-final-fantasy-xiii-demo

Why would you care about this? FF7, one of the big favorites before they dropped in the crapper in terms of quality, and the best selling FF game ever, was 3 discs on PS and 4 discs on PC. It had terrible load times. Ehh?

Not to mention, so far, the large games we've seen on PS3 on a single disc have load times longer than it would take to change a disc and install times longer than it takes to grow a beard...

jlippo
04-17-09, 04:41 AM
Why would you care about this? FF7, one of the big favorites before they dropped in the crapper in terms of quality, and the best selling FF game ever, was 3 discs on PS and 4 discs on PC. It had terrible load times. Ehh?

Not to mention, so far, the large games we've seen on PS3 on a single disc have load times longer than it would take to change a disc and install times longer than it takes to grow a beard...
According to the reporst the demo didn't require any install, so theres a good possibility to actually have a nice Ps3 version.

It will be interesting to see how they will divide and duplicate data for a several disks on X360.

Moo
04-17-09, 09:32 AM
tEEE hEEE

i aM tEH mAgU|s aDn i h4T3 tEH sEXb0X3060!!!!

:D:D:D

Toss3
04-17-09, 09:42 AM
Game looks simply awesome - can't wait for next year! :)

|MaguS|
04-17-09, 09:46 AM
Game looks simply awesome - can't wait for next year! :)

Yeah, Im seriously thinking about importing it. I hope they release a PSN demo soon. :)

saturnotaku
04-17-09, 10:11 AM
4.85 GB of that is cut scene.

|MaguS|
04-17-09, 10:26 AM

Most likely... 1080p FMV :o

Toss3
04-17-09, 10:29 AM

Rofl true, but FF games still give you at least 100+ gameplay hours so that's not an issue! ;)

jeffmd
04-18-09, 01:30 AM
I would actually be surprised if any of the demo was streamed. Its usualy more bother to design and create scenes outside the game engine and then seamlessly splice them in then if you just do it all in game.

I think last remnant is a good example of when movies are still needed. Generaly 1), any time you have a mass army of something onscreen (And intend to make them look all high quality and high frame rate), and 2), any scenes that have the camera go back and forth between 2 very different geographical locations.

Anyways, the day ff13 comes out could be the day I get a ps3. ;) Sort of like ff10 on the ps2.

Mr. Hunt
04-18-09, 02:17 AM
I am just hoping Squaresoft doesn't screw PS3 owners over by over compressing it so it will fit on a "few" discs for 360.

NaitoSan
04-18-09, 03:18 AM
I wonder which is better, PS3 or X360. (doesn't matter how many discs 360 will have, I care about in-game graphics)

Only time will tell.

Badboy_12345
04-18-09, 03:40 AM
Crap.. I need to get up every 10+ hours and change disc! But I am a lazy fat bastard!

:rolleyes:

|MaguS|
04-18-09, 08:12 AM
Crap.. I need to get up every 10+ hours and change disc! But I am a lazy fat bastard!

:rolleyes:

Um, less then 10 hours... more like 3-5 hours. And I rather have a seemless experiance then be greeted with a "Please insert disc 2", Those days should be over.

That is unless they compress alot of the content to fit it on the DVD overall lowering the quality of the product to fit the lowest common denominator (which I will put money on will sell the least amount of units).

XDanger
04-18-09, 08:27 AM
Maybe they'll do an HD-DVD version ;)

six_storm
04-18-09, 09:12 AM
I've seen a few videos for XIII and I'm rather impressed so far. Makes me wanna go grab a PS3 in a sense. Oh well, if the wifey decides to let me get a new TV, I'll be getting a PS3 for Blu-Ray anyways! ;)

fizzelopeguss
04-20-09, 02:55 PM
Um, less then 10 hours... more like 3-5 hours. And I rather have a seemless experiance then be greeted with a "Please insert disc 2", Those days should be over.

That is unless they compress alot of the content to fit it on the DVD overall lowering the quality of the product to fit the lowest common denominator (which I will put money on will sell the least amount of units).

this argument was used for MGS4 but didn't that game have 2 installs?

|MaguS|
04-20-09, 03:43 PM
this argument was used for MGS4 but didn't that game have 2 installs?

Because it was designed like that... its possible to have a single install or no install with perfectly streaming.