PDA

View Full Version : Buying only a cd-key for CoD4?

Pages : [1] 2

Uberpwnage
04-18-09, 05:43 AM
Back in December, I was banned from CoD4 punkbuster servers because I tried playing on an early build of Windows 7. I tried contacting both Activision and Punkbuster to resolve my issue, but they wouldn't do anything and accused me of hacking or of being hacked. I really loved CoD4, and have been hoping it will drop in price more out of spite than anything, I just don't feel like paying full price for a game I feel cheated out of.

Anyway, it's finally getting to me, so I was wondering if any of these sites that allow you to purchase only CD-keys are actually legitimate. I don't trust forums on their own sites, I was wondering if anyone here has personal experience with these sites, specifically one that sells CoD4 keys?

Badboy_12345
04-18-09, 05:53 AM
g2play.net ;)

bought many games there

Blade
04-18-09, 06:18 AM
Just bought a COD 5 key, works well, very happy.

Dreamweavernoob
04-18-09, 01:21 PM
you can have my cod 4 code if i can find it. :)

ViN86
04-18-09, 05:29 PM
Back in December, I was banned from CoD4 punkbuster servers because I tried playing on an early build of Windows 7. I tried contacting both Activision and Punkbuster to resolve my issue, but they wouldn't do anything and accused me of hacking or of being hacked. I really loved CoD4, and have been hoping it will drop in price more out of spite than anything, I just don't feel like paying full price for a game I feel cheated out of.

Anyway, it's finally getting to me, so I was wondering if any of these sites that allow you to purchase only CD-keys are actually legitimate. I don't trust forums on their own sites, I was wondering if anyone here has personal experience with these sites, specifically one that sells CoD4 keys?

They banned you for using Windows 7? :wtf:

For some reason I think there was something else involved in why you were banned. Others would have had the same issues and I am sure they would have realized this and unbanned you...

Anyways, just buy it off Steam. That will give you a new CD key too.

Also, this whole post is really sketchy. :|

Badboy_12345
04-18-09, 05:56 PM

Cod4 on steam in europe = 49.99€
On g2play.net = 14.59€
In stores in Sweden = 17.69€

See anything completely retarded there? :rolleyes:
No one from europe with a brain buys from steam...

Uberpwnage
04-18-09, 07:36 PM
They banned you for using Windows 7? :wtf:

For some reason I think there was something else involved in why you were banned. Others would have had the same issues and I am sure they would have realized this and unbanned you...

Also, this whole post is really sketchy. :|

Well I was kind of stupid too, I thought I could get punkbuster to work with it. I dont remember what I did exactly, but I tried compatibility mode and some other things. I installed cod4 first thing to test out gaming performance, and I couldn't join servers because it said something about "unknown api function", wasn't a firewall issue and I had updated the punkbuster files.

here's a link to a forum discussion similar to mine around the same time...
http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/572-punkbuster-3.html

The problem was I took it a bit too far in trying to fix it I think. I figured it was something simple like a mismatch of expected build numbers, I was running 6801 and it was expecting 6001. Compatibility mode was a simple enough fix in theory, but I guessed and tested too much for its liking and it banned me I assume. Obviously I can't know for sure that that was the cause, but the only thing that was different was Windows 7 instead of Vista. I was banned the next day I tried to play on Vista, seems like more then a coincidence.

Punkbuster informed me that they didn't collect any information that would be able to verify my story, so they couldn't unban my key. They told me it was either me hacking or someone hacking with my key. I know they probably get similar stories from actual hackers and they need to be careful. However, given the fact that I know more about what I was doing on my PC at the time, I find it more likely that it was my attempts at getting it to work. If I was hacked, none of the security measures I had in place noticed it, and the only thing of any value that has affected me in the last 5 months, is the key, which again, I find unlikely.

The game came out in November 2007, and it's still $50 on steam. I understand it's a popular game, but I think that's a bit much, especially with CoD:WaW out. As I said, it's more of annoyance then anything, I don't feel like spending the full $50 or even $40 on a game I feel cheated out of.

As for G2Play.net, might go for that if nothing better shows up, thanks for the feedback.

rudedog
04-18-09, 09:29 PM
Working closely with Activision on the CoD franchise I can tell you those CD key sites are NOT legit.

You should be able to pick up a copy cheap now or wait for one of those killer deals on steam.

ViN86
04-18-09, 09:34 PM
Well I was kind of stupid too, I thought I could get punkbuster to work with it. I dont remember what I did exactly, but I tried compatibility mode and some other things. I installed cod4 first thing to test out gaming performance, and I couldn't join servers because it said something about "unknown api function", wasn't a firewall issue and I had updated the punkbuster files.

here's a link to a forum discussion similar to mine around the same time...
http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/572-punkbuster-3.html

The problem was I took it a bit too far in trying to fix it I think. I figured it was something simple like a mismatch of expected build numbers, I was running 6801 and it was expecting 6001. Compatibility mode was a simple enough fix in theory, but I guessed and tested too much for its liking and it banned me I assume. Obviously I can't know for sure that that was the cause, but the only thing that was different was Windows 7 instead of Vista. I was banned the next day I tried to play on Vista, seems like more then a coincidence.

Punkbuster informed me that they didn't collect any information that would be able to verify my story, so they couldn't unban my key. They told me it was either me hacking or someone hacking with my key. I know they probably get similar stories from actual hackers and they need to be careful. However, given the fact that I know more about what I was doing on my PC at the time, I find it more likely that it was my attempts at getting it to work. If I was hacked, none of the security measures I had in place noticed it, and the only thing of any value that has affected me in the last 5 months, is the key, which again, I find unlikely.

The game came out in November 2007, and it's still $50 on steam. I understand it's a popular game, but I think that's a bit much, especially with CoD:WaW out. As I said, it's more of annoyance then anything, I don't feel like spending the full $50 or even $40 on a game I feel cheated out of.

As for G2Play.net, might go for that if nothing better shows up, thanks for the feedback.

Bah, that sucks. I was running the Windows 7 Beta for a while and I got COD4 to work with it after I ran PB update a few times. I think they should at least have a 3 strike rule for banning CD keys completely. :(

Tbh, you may just want to wait for Modern Warfare 2...

Cod4 on steam in europe = 49.99€
On g2play.net = 14.59€
In stores in Sweden = 17.69€

Is the OP even from Europe? Second off, the probability that those 15 and 17 Euro CD Keys are legit is practically 0%, but Steam's legit probability is 100%. See anything completely retarded there? :retard:

nekrosoft13
04-18-09, 10:00 PM
Working closely with Activision on the CoD franchise I can tell you those CD key sites are NOT legit.

You should be able to pick up a copy cheap now or wait for one of those killer deals on steam.

considering that g2play.net is owned by a czech felon that ran similar site in czech and was shutdown. yeah posibility that the site legit is slim

Sazar
04-18-09, 10:02 PM
Cod4 on steam in europe = 49.99
On g2play.net = 14.59
In stores in Sweden = 17.69

People in Europe without a brain typically use pirated stuff anyways :)

And to actually PAY for pirated keys == even more brain dead tbh.

Blade
04-19-09, 03:17 AM

So how come mines working fine both online & off with a purchase from G2PLAY?

Not trying to pitch business for them btw but please dont scaremonger when it's not neccessary Activision bot.

Badboy_12345
04-19-09, 04:27 AM
Is the OP even from Europe? Second off, the probability that those 15 and 17 Euro CD Keys are legit is practically 0%, but Steam's legit probability is 100%. See anything completely retarded there? :retard:

ehh.. so all stores in sweden sell illegal game boxes? :lol: :lol:
The price for Cod4 in sweden IS about 17€ for the box
And g2play.net IS legit. They buy the game boxes, open them and sell the keys on the site.

The ****ed up economy means they sell games cheaper in other countries because people arent as "rich" there. Same as they are selling it cheaper in russia and asia.

the "killer deals" on steam still makes most games in europe cost more than in the retail stores.
Steam is dead in europe after they changed the pricing.

ViN86
04-19-09, 09:30 AM
ehh.. so all stores in sweden sell illegal game boxes? :lol: :lol:
The price for Cod4 in sweden IS about 17 for the box
And g2play.net IS legit. They buy the game boxes, open them and sell the keys on the site.

The ****ed up economy means they sell games cheaper in other countries because people arent as "rich" there. Same as they are selling it cheaper in russia and asia.

the "killer deals" on steam still makes most games in europe cost more than in the retail stores.
Steam is dead in europe after they changed the pricing.

I suggest you write to Infinity Ward to verify if the games are legit...

Read nekro's post too.

Logical
04-19-09, 10:05 AM
Punkbuster dont usually ban for something like that...have you got a link to your global ban ?

Badboy_12345
04-19-09, 10:34 AM
I suggest you write to Infinity Ward to verify if the games are legit...

Read nekro's post too.

yeah nice there.... you have anything else to come with? ;)

Show me anywhere where the site is proven illegal? Anyone after them? anything at all?
They have been running for 1 year...

kazna
04-19-09, 11:35 AM
I've gotten the Unknown API Function message from punkbuster many times and my keys still good. Tried every work around for it without any luck.

I can't stand punkbuster, its been nothing but a headache especially in the early days. Windows 7 is very similar to Vista, its just pure laziness not to support it by now. VAC works great, but it has always gotten the job done without kicking legitimate players.

ViN86
04-19-09, 12:01 PM
yeah nice there.... you have anything else to come with? ;)

Show me anywhere where the site is proven illegal? Anyone after them? anything at all?
They have been running for 1 year...

Come with? :confused:

What are you talking about? And what the hell is with the confrontational swedes that signup on Nvnews? :rofl

You can justify whatever you want in your own mind, but the truth is, most things that are too good to be true, are probably not legit. And until you get a letter from Infinity Ward verifying the legitimacy of that site, I will consider you to be wrong and advocate that no one buys anything from it.

Badboy_12345
04-19-09, 12:51 PM
Come with? :confused:

What are you talking about? And what the hell is with the confrontational swedes that signup on Nvnews? :rofl

You can justify whatever you want in your own mind, but the truth is, most things that are too good to be true, are probably not legit. And until you get a letter from Infinity Ward verifying the legitimacy of that site, I will consider you to be wrong and advocate that no one buys anything from it.

As its not a offical reseller they will say no to buy there.
The site is legal, what they are doing is legal, the keys bought there work and are legal.

I dont see why anyone shouldnt buy there. And many many do. Look all over the net.. just search for g2play.net on google and see everyone praising the site.

NarcissistZero
04-19-09, 01:16 PM
I dont see why anyone shouldnt buy there. And many many do. Look all over the net.. just search for g2play.net on google and see everyone praising the site.

Of course people love the site, people are cheap. People love The Pirate Bay as well.

LurkerLito
04-19-09, 02:45 PM
G2play are AFAIK legit though I have only bought one thing from them. They are nothing more than a Game exporter/importer just like play-asia or gogamer. It's no different than if you yourself went to the country selling the games for 60% of the US MSRP and bringing it home and installing it on your PC. Since all the games they are selling are available via Digital Download and the services used do not require the physical media to install they can get around ever having to ship the original discs to the buyer. There is nothing illegal about what they do, though it might be against the distribution agreement on exporting the release to other regions, but that is most likely taken care of by going through a middle man. ie Publisher sells to middle man says no exporting middle man sells to g2play and doesn't have any export clauses in their contract so it's OK.

Bottom line you want to buy from them go for it but don't be surprised if one day the various digital download services no longer accept keys from outside your region. The game devs are still getting paid, just less because their royalties would be based off the cheap region official releases. And also note that if they start changing patches like censored versions for those regions you will get that not necessarily the US release version. Steam originally tried to stop the practice and made those other region releases unplayable if your IP wasn't in the region but there was enough of a backlash that they reenabled the games.

Activision and other publishers should hate g2play only because if that game in that region is distributed by another company they get no royalties from the sale unless the publisher helped fund the game development. Game devs will still get a royalty from the sale, but a lower one based from the region so I would guess they would discourage this practice g2play does also.

NarcissistZero
06-21-10, 09:46 AM
Because we all know on a struggling platform saving a couple bucks is key!

Intel17
06-21-10, 12:18 PM
Because we all know on a struggling platform saving a couple bucks is key!

:clap2:

bob saget
06-21-10, 12:40 PM
Nicker is reported.

bob saget
06-21-10, 12:41 PM
I have a Cod4 key I wouldn't mind selling.