PDA

View Full Version : COD 4 modern Warfare - very poor performance - SLOW!!

Pages : [1] 2

kaptkarl
04-21-09, 03:46 PM
Can someone give me some feedback on this game. Just installed it and it runs like ass....slow as Christmas. I let it use the optimized settings it detected, and it runs horribly. I can't even get 10fps consistantly. I have no problems running any other games in my library...incl Crysis and Crysis Warhead @ 1900x1200 4AA. Yet I can't even run COD 4 at 1280x1020 decently w/o cutting back on the eye candy.

There's got to be something wrong here......help???

Kapt

NarcissistZero
04-21-09, 03:49 PM
Something is definately wrong.

Maybe you need to update your drivers, if your signature is correct.

Sazar
04-21-09, 04:12 PM
Yah, there is something definitely wrong with your setup.

I was able to get acceptable frame-rates even with my G92 card at the higher specs you listed and my 4870 plays perfectly fine at that res. You should be getting playable frame-rates and not have to drop all the way to 12x10 to play :eek:

There has to be something fubared with the drivers or something. Make sure you are not running Folding At Home in the background when gaming.

methimpikehoses
04-21-09, 04:32 PM
Reinstall... COD4 will never be worse than Crysis at similar res.

Sazar
04-21-09, 04:48 PM
Reinstall... COD4 will never be worse than Crysis at similar res.

YES IT WILL if you drop all the effects to the lowest possible levels on Crysis and stare at a blank wall

methimpikehoses
04-21-09, 04:51 PM
(wack)

kaptkarl
04-21-09, 04:59 PM
Something is definately wrong.

Maybe you need to update your drivers, if your signature is correct.

Yes my sig is correct. I'm going to try a different driver. I'm currently using forceware 177.79 - the newer 180"s always screw up something - mainly DOOM3 when I exit out of it - f's up the desktop and I have to reboot to fix it.

Kapt

Sazar
04-21-09, 05:05 PM
Did you have another gpu in your system before (i.e. and AMD/ATi card)?

Something is definitely acting up and perhaps cleaning the legacy drivers with reg cleaner or something will fix it all up for you.

What apps do you run in the back-ground? It shouldn't really matter as the other games run fine but, you never know :)

kaptkarl
04-21-09, 07:17 PM
Did you have another gpu in your system before (i.e. and AMD/ATi card)?

Something is definitely acting up and perhaps cleaning the legacy drivers with reg cleaner or something will fix it all up for you.

What apps do you run in the back-ground? It shouldn't really matter as the other games run fine but, you never know :)

Never had another GPU in system. This was a new build a few months ago. With 4MB RAM the couple of apps running in the background should not effect it. I hate changing vid drivers 'cause everything else runs perfectly. I guess I don't have much choice though.

Too tired to do it tonight...I'll do it later and post back my results.

Kapt

BioHazZarD
04-22-09, 12:57 AM
You cant use such an old driver for that kind of card. grab the new ones from nvidia.com

kaptkarl
04-22-09, 06:34 PM
Update - changed vid drivers and went w/ the 182.50 straight off the nvidia website. Well COD4 Modern Warfare plays smooth now.....BUT.....when I exit from DOOM3 my desktop is screwed up - reduced background to 3/4% of screen and the icons are screwed up. I've heard/seen this same thing on several other friends pc's. This is the reason I stayed away from the 180's drivers in the first place!!:headexplode:

Way to go Nvidia! :thumbdwn:

I don't want the hear anymore complaints about ATI's drivers, when the green team can't seem to make a driver that works 100%. I've tried several 180's drivers.....all with the same result.

Btw, I closed all background apps, uninstalled the vid driver thru control panel, rebooted, used driver sweeper, rebooted, then installed new driver.

Any ideas guys??

Kapt

NarcissistZero
04-22-09, 07:05 PM
I haven't loaded Doom 3 in a while, but when I did it was with 180-somethings, and I did not have that problem.

I'll load it up later tonight and see what happens.

t3hl33td4rg0n
04-22-09, 08:48 PM
With 4MB RAM the couple of apps running in the background should not effect it.

:bleh:

Destroy
08-22-09, 09:17 AM
Sorry to steal thread a bit but is the PC version of CoD4 LOTS better than the 360 version? I've got the 360 version from a friend and can play it for free but if the PC version has much better visuals and control I'd rather spend $15 and buy it on PC. Talking SP here only.

ATi
08-22-09, 09:30 AM
Sorry to steal thread a bit but is the PC version of CoD4 LOTS better than the 360 version? I've got the 360 version from a friend and can play it for free but if the PC version has much better visuals and control I'd rather spend $15 and buy it on PC. Talking SP here only.

DID you really had to ask! of course my dear friend;)

mailman2
08-22-09, 10:32 AM

Thats like asking if the sky is blue....:captnkill:

Destroy
08-22-09, 11:11 AM
DID you really had to ask! of course my dear friend;)

Well some ports aren't so impressive, wasn't sure of this one is all. Sounds like it's a great improvement on PC so guess I'll just wait some more and buy it, thanks.

ViN86
08-22-09, 11:26 AM

:headexplode::headexplode::headexplode:

Crow_Nest
08-22-09, 11:27 AM
PC ftfw. Free online play, mouse and keyboard control and free DLC.

Logical
08-23-09, 10:25 AM
T3h xb0x 36o v3si0n !s t3h best c0s i can sit at my c0uch with my w!r3l3ss p4d and play on my 500" uber LCD telly and t3h aliasing looks aw3s0me and mak3s t3h game look mor3 r34l.

NarcissistZero
08-23-09, 01:36 PM
Where the hell can you get CoD4 for $15?

bob saget
08-24-09, 12:53 AM
Where the hell can you get CoD4 for $15?

something like ebay?

ragejg
08-24-09, 01:12 AM
T3h xb0x 36o v3si0n !s t3h best c0s i can sit at my c0uch with my w!r3l3ss p4d and play on my 500" uber LCD telly and t3h aliasing looks aw3s0me and mak3s t3h game look mor3 r34l.

If you typed all that way deliberately, then please stab yourself in the eyes for a few minutes with a spoon. That's basically what your communication string did to the rest of us.

waow.

EDIT: Oh wait, After my eyes cleared up from the initial stabbing I realized you might have been being sarcastic.

Speaking of COD4, it works well with a 360 controller, right? Or do I have to fiddle with the button settings for an hour? Lost Planet & GoW spoiled me.

NarcissistZero
08-24-09, 01:13 AM
something like ebay?

It's useless used though, isn't it? I mean, if you like multi.

Even then, buy it somewhere official... give the developers money, not some random ebayer.

bob saget
08-24-09, 01:15 AM
It's useless used though, isn't it? I mean, if you like multi.

Even then, buy it somewhere official... give the developers money, not some random ebayer.

Why?

The way i see it, if someone else already gave their money to buy it, it doesn't hurt to buy from the person (people selling games in for sale section...).