PDA

View Full Version : Steam is making me STEAM

Crow_Nest
04-23-09, 08:11 AM
Ok all of a sudden steam just refuses to connect online. I just get the connecting to account sign but it stays there. Did the old deletion of the clientregistry.blob file in the steam dir but it didnt do any good. Did a full reinstall of steam and this time it managed to take me to the main store page. When i try to play any steam game it gives me a box that says scanning for game updates and it never disappears. I open up my games list, but it says scanning for updates as well. And here i am now, after doing a clean reformat of my PC and attempting to run steam, it gives me the steam updating progress box that is stuck at 1%.

Come on, what gives? I cant play the new L4D content. :thumbdwn:

Revs
04-23-09, 08:28 AM
Had the same problem. Just try again in a few hours :o. It's a pain in the ass, I know. I thought someone had fooked my account, but I popped out and when I got back it was OK. I just happens every now and then, like the updates that don't want to update.

Crow_Nest
04-23-09, 08:31 AM
Had the same problem. Just try again in a few hours :o. It's a pain in the ass, I know. I thought someone had fooked my account, but I popped out and when I got back it was OK. I just happens every now and then, like the updates that don't want to update.

It better! Already been like that for a day or two. Never had such problems with steam before.

crainger
04-23-09, 08:38 AM
I've gone to start Crysis Warhead a few times recently and the game while it reports in 100% downloaded says it's unavailable at this time and I can't be run. WTF? ::(: and what's with this Gamespy **** that keeps trying to install itself? FFS!

Revs
04-23-09, 08:59 AM
If you've got an update that isn't updating, it sometimes helps to pause and unpause the update. It's really annoying how it won't let you play the game until the update has finished downloading. It should just download it in the background and prompt when it's ready.

It's a pitty Steam has these problems because when it's running properly it's really good. They don't seem to be in a rush to sort them though.

six_storm
04-23-09, 09:44 AM
Save your steamapps folder, remove Steam, reinstall it and put your steamapps folder back. Give that a shot.

Crow_Nest
04-23-09, 10:43 AM
It still isnt working. I cant even install the damn game! When i try to install it has to take me through the stupid update process. Man i hate this.

mailman2
04-23-09, 11:33 AM
I've gone to start Crysis Warhead a few times recently and the game while it reports in 100% downloaded says it's unavailable at this time and I can't be run. WTF? ::(: and what's with this Gamespy **** that keeps trying to install itself? FFS!

Im getting a key error with Warhead. I've always hated steam because I've feared at some point it will goto hell and you'll prolly lose everything you had bought through it. Or their servers crash and all the authentication / key info will be lost. I opened a ticket 2 days ago... nothing yet.

Kaguya
04-23-09, 01:59 PM
Another thing that sometimes works is to choose the 'log in as a different user' option so you get completely logged out and then you can log back in.

Another thing, as some have noted that you can do, is to remove everything from your steam folder other than steam.exe and your games and it should redownload and update. Sometimes that fixes issues... I can't recall EVER having a game tell me it wasn't available.

Albo
04-23-09, 02:17 PM
I had this error. Make sure you don't have peer gaurdian on, or any other anti-stuff

Revs
04-24-09, 02:54 AM
Just remembered, XFire can reak havoc with Steam.

EDIT: In fact just close anything you don't need running and have another go.

crainger
04-24-09, 04:49 AM
I have to break up with my last gf to get Steam running...

poullos
04-24-09, 12:02 PM
Exit steam, delete ClientRegistry.blob, restart steam, enter username/password, wait. :)

NarcissistZero
04-24-09, 12:26 PM
I have to break up with my last gf to get Steam running...

Not exactly a big loss.

Crow_Nest
04-24-09, 02:07 PM
Ok its working fine again. Steam sure took its time.

crainger
04-24-09, 03:59 PM
Not exactly a big loss.

Yeah. Now I have Steam and better gf!