PDA

View Full Version : V-Sync on or off, and Triple buffering

Marius_M
04-26-09, 10:46 AM
Hello, im new here :)
Whan to ask what settings do you use in Nvidia CP for modern games? Do you use V-Sync and Triple buffering?

henrybravo
04-26-09, 03:00 PM
Yes I use both, but I don't enable them in the CP. Most (if not all) current games have the option to turn on v-sync within the game itself, so there is no need to force it on with the nv control panel. The triple buffering option in the control panel is only for OpenGL games, so for d3d games (the majority of the games on the market now) you will need to force triple buffering on using other methods.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_10.html

Quick420
06-21-09, 04:00 PM
Wonder why triple buffering doesnt work in d3d unless forced through nhancer?

|MaguS|
06-21-09, 05:57 PM
vsync always on with Triple Buffer...

SLippe
06-22-09, 03:01 AM
I have VS set to App Controlled and Triple Buffer set to On.

saturnotaku
06-22-09, 06:14 AM
Wonder why triple buffering doesnt work in d3d unless forced through nhancer?

IIRC, it has something to do with the DirectX specification itself. There's something in there that Microsoft doesn't allow video card makers to allow the users to alter triple buffering in D3D games.

Fieryphoenix
06-27-09, 08:09 PM
I always leave vsync on, who gives a flip about framerates when the image is constantly tearing.

Amen.

iron99
06-27-09, 08:55 PM
I always leave vsync on, who gives a flip about framerates when the image is constantly tearing.

Amen from me also.

dandano
06-29-09, 01:41 AM
Anandtech article on triple buffering

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3591

CaptNKILL
06-29-09, 02:40 AM
Anandtech article on triple buffering

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3591

Fantastic article.

I read through most of it a few days ago.

mcolbourn
06-30-09, 05:02 AM
I use Triple buffering on most games bar multi player FPS's

Mike89
08-08-09, 12:58 AM
While triple buffering is an interesting subject, the fact remains it's only able to be used in maybe 10% of games (at most). As the article says, something needs to change big time to get this function in all games. No telling if that will ever happen or how long it would take. It's one of those scratch your head wondering why it's not mainstream deals.

mullet
08-08-09, 09:35 AM
Triple buffering during sex is awesome.

Monkish
11-29-09, 09:41 AM
I've been playing Tomb Raider Underworld on a GTX 295 card and this game has a built-in triple buffer mode. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work under SLI mode (which for this game is alternate frame). Whenever I enable triple-buffering in the game it always disables vsync even though it is ticked in the game. Forcing it on in the drivers has no effect. Using DXTweaker (in Rivatuner) to force triple buffering also disables vsync, even though DXTweaker is supposed to force vsync as well. Under a single GPU everything works fine.

I know I don't really need triple buffering in this game on this card as I get full-refresh frame rates 100% of the time anyway, but for future reference, is this yet another feature broken by SLI mode?

I know D3D doesn't support triple buffering unless the game specifically codes for it, but this game does, and it works perfectly under a single GPU.