PDA

View Full Version : Acer X223H/EVGA 8800GTS

seeker
04-27-09, 03:33 PM
This monitor just arrived and I tried setting it up along with my current CRT in a dual monitor configuration, but despite whatever I try, no signal goes to the monitor...or the monitor is faulty. The monitor does power on, and Windows and the Nvidia Control panel see it and report no problems, yet the LCD remains black.

I tried swapping connector positions on the video card, and then both monitors remained black, and I got a single bios beep, which if I recall, means that no video card is found (I think). So I swapped the back to the original positions, and the same black screen and beep. I then disconnected the LCD completely and left the CRT connected to where the LCD had been originally, and a black screen and beep. I then moved the CRT to it's original position, and the picture returned. That is the point that I'm at now.

I'm a bit confused, because even if the video card had a bad connector on one side, it would seem that the LCD should have worked on the other. That brings me to the question about the compatabibiltiy of the LCD and/or cable with the video card. From what I found online, the connectors on the video card are DVI-I , having a crossbar slot on one side, with 2 square sockets above and below it, with a solid field of rectangular slots aside those. If I understand, this is a DVI-I dual link connector, at least according to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Even though the sales rep told me that the monitor used a DVI-I connector, it doesn't have the square sockets above and below the crossbar socket, so it appears that it is DVI-D instead. Also, the cable is single link, whereas the connector on the video card is dual link. Is this cable/connector difference the cause of the problem, or is it something else?

EDIT: I should also mention that the cable that I'm using is not the one bundled with the monitor, because it is too short. I bought a DVI to HDMI, which has the same socket configuration on the DVI connector as the one bundled with the monitor.

seeker
04-29-09, 06:50 PM
I got part of the problem figured out...the monitor will not work with a DVI to HDMI cable, like I tried to use, it requires DVI to DVI. I've been fiddling around with the setup, and I have both monitors working properly, once at desktop, but the only monitor that displays the BIOS screens is the one connected to the left DVI connector (viewed from the rear). Would this be true with all video cards, or is it just the EVGA 8800GTS that acts this way? Is thee a way to make it display the BIOS screens on both monitors at the same time, without changing video card?