PDA

View Full Version : Really good article on SSDs

Gaco
04-28-09, 03:55 PM
I wholeheartedly recommend reading this article on Solid State Drives at Anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531

It's from March 18th. It's pretty long actually, but well worth the time invested. I myself have become pretty convinced that I'm buying an SSD within the next 12 months :)

Toss3
04-28-09, 06:15 PM
I wholeheartedly recommend reading this article on Solid State Drives at Anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531

It's from March 18th. It's pretty long actually, but well worth the time invested. I myself have become pretty convinced that I'm buying an SSD within the next 12 months :)

Thanks for posting that article(can't believe I missed it), but my sentiment is the exact opposite of yours after having read the article. Getting an SSD now would feel like a waste of money. :)

Maverick123w
04-30-09, 11:35 PM
Thanks for posting that article(can't believe I missed it), but my sentiment is the exact opposite of yours after having read the article. Getting an SSD now would feel like a waste of money. :)

I would only get one as a boot drive right now, but as one they have to be unreal.

Gaco
05-10-09, 08:03 AM
Really? He said several times in the article that buying an SSD is the one hardware upgrade you can do right now that will make the biggest difference in overall computer performance by far. Anand went on to make it clear how rare an event a ten-fold performance factor is for a hardware component in the computer world.

To keep things in perspective: the performance decline of the intel SSD is 20% in the worst case scenario by an extreme drive torture scheme as far as I remember, but that would still make it about 8 times (I think) as fast as the velociraptor. 8 or 10 times as fast, tomato, tomato? I was really thrilled about SDD's after reading that article, but I didn't say that I wanted to buy one right away, but within 12 months. I'm only waiting primarily because I don't have the money (even though it has become affordable), and secondarily but also somewhat importantly, I want at least 160gb instead of 80gb for the price of the Intel 80gb model (more likely I want 200+ gb). But I can understand that some people are jumping on the 80gb model today for pwnage performance and total silent PC. I just don't want to think about perhaps not being able to install all the games and apps I use at the same time :)

Toss3
05-11-09, 03:11 AM
Really? He said several times in the article that buying an SSD is the one hardware upgrade you can do right now that will make the biggest difference in overall computer performance by far. Anand went on to make it clear how rare an event a ten-fold performance factor is for a hardware component in the computer world.

To keep things in perspective: the performance decline of the intel SSD is 20% in the worst case scenario by an extreme drive torture scheme as far as I remember, but that would still make it about 8 times (I think) as fast as the velociraptor. 8 or 10 times as fast, tomato, tomato? I was really thrilled about SDD's after reading that article, but I didn't say that I wanted to buy one right away, but within 12 months. I'm only waiting primarily because I don't have the money (even though it has become affordable), and secondarily but also somewhat importantly, I want at least 160gb instead of 80gb for the price of the Intel 80gb model (more likely I want 200+ gb). But I can understand that some people are jumping on the 80gb model today for pwnage performance and total silent PC. I just don't want to think about perhaps not being able to install all the games and apps I use at the same time :)

I wouldn't mind having an SSD, but right now the only SSDs worth owning are the intel X25-E and M series and those are pricey. Their life-expectancy is also quite short and you'll have to do a clean format to maximize its performance every once in awhile, so it wouldn't be suited as a main OS drive.

Pros:
-very fast
-small physical size
-generates no audible noise

Cons:
-life expectancy
-detereorating performance after use
-High price-premium compared to regular drives
-Small size(GBs wise)

Gaco
05-12-09, 04:32 AM
I wouldn't mind having an SSD, but right now the only SSDs worth owning are the intel X25-E and M series and those are pricey. Their life-expectancy is also quite short and you'll have to do a clean format to maximize its performance every once in awhile, so it wouldn't be suited as a main OS drive.

Pros:
-very fast
-small physical size
-generates no audible noise

Cons:
-life expectancy
-detereorating performance after use
-High price-premium compared to regular drives
-Small size(GBs wise)
Make that pro: very, very, very fast! :D

From what I've been able to gather that the life expectancy problem was more of an infancy issue, and Intel now says that X-25M has a minimum of 5 years of life with heavy usage, in practice probably more. In other words the life expectancy is now outliving their planned time of usage anyway.

The performance deterioration was kind of bothering me as well until I put things in perspective: The X-25M fell from fresh 29879 to 23252 points at simulated torture in vantage's HDD test. A fresh Velociraptor got 6313 points! Also it only dropped from 11902 to 11536 in PC Mark, that's 3%! I'm not suggesting that the performance issue is not an annoyance, but considering:
1. That it's a fundamental problem with the technology that's not likely to be fixed overnight, only slowly getting better.
2. That this 20% decrease was the worst case scenario in one synthetic benchmark problem and the felt effect according to the article was less
3. It's still approximately an order of magnitude faster in access time anyway!

To sum up I agree about the pros and cons you list except the life expectancy I wouldn't worry about (I think some FUD about SSD's in general was spread during an Asus eee launch) and I don't think the performance deterioration is that bad on the high-end drives for reasons mentioned. The primary reasons I'm waiting is price and capacity :)