PDA

View Full Version : Question about RAM

Trailer
05-01-09, 09:11 AM
Hello, long time reader here since 2003. I have always found great advice or answers to my questions here and I would like to say thank you. I'm using an ASUS P5Q3 motherboard with 2x1gigs of Corsair DDR3 ram and XP32bit. I'm going to get the Windows7 64bit release candidate when it comes out in a few days. I am going to order 2x2gig sticks. So would I be better off adding the 2x2gig sticks to my system and having 6gigs total or just using the new 2x2gig sticks by themselves? Both sets run the same timings just the size difference. Thanks in advance

CaptNKILL
05-01-09, 12:36 PM
6Gb should work fine if they're the same speed. Just make sure they're set up so that you have 3Gb in each channel. Put your 2Gb sticks in the black slots and the 1Gb sticks in the red slots.

That should give you 6Gb in dual channel. :thumbsup:

Revs
05-01-09, 01:13 PM
What CaptN said. Try it, if you're getting problems then take the two older sticks out to see if that helps. Should be OK but I've have problems in the past by mixing brands, even with the same timings. I would set RAM timings to 'Auto' for now though if you haven't already.

Welcome to the forums, Trailer :). Hold on, it's gonna be a bumpy ****ing ride :lol:

Trailer
05-01-09, 01:57 PM
Yep, I have ram timings set to AUTO. Thanks alot for the help!

Phoking
05-06-09, 02:06 AM
I'm also planning on going to Windows 7 with a memory upgrade and had a related question.. Does timing really matter when going from DDR2 667 to DDR2 800? I'm planning on getting an additional 4GB but my current setup is 2GB is at 667 so should I just go w/ 6GB at 667 or 4GB at 800?