PDA

View Full Version : my new rig stopped working all of a sudden :(

wysiwyg
05-04-09, 09:00 AM
here is a direct copy and paste from what i sent to the store. (cant be bothered to retype what the problem)

I have been using the new components without any issue since I received them about a month ago since ordering 25 march. the new ram, cpu and motherboard on the order number ***** which were replacements to a q6600, asus mobo and ram. New components had been running perfectly the past month. then on the weekend I turned the pc and it powers on like a cold boot as if the mains had been off (there were no power cuts).

it just keeps restarting after a second and restarts automatically and this continues until power is turned off at the psu switch.

The system does not even show a POST.

I have tried with the memory sticks in different slots and one at a time as well as testing some spare memory I have, I have also tried with a spare 600w psu I have and get the same issue. I have tried with out anything except just the memory and cpu on the board attached and still no difference.

there are no obvious signs what the reason is, when it powers on there is no POST but the boards diagnostic led's light up but I didn’t find the manual too helpful with this. and they all lit up when it worked fine before the POST shows.

So I am not sure if it is the CPU or motherboard (even the ram) that has failed as I I have no way of testing the former 2, so please can I RMA the Ram, CPU and board to you.

:headexplode::headexplode:

fasedww
05-04-09, 11:15 AM
here is a direct copy and paste from what i sent to the store. (cant be bothered to retype what the problem)

I have been using the new components without any issue since I received them about a month ago since ordering 25 march. the new ram, cpu and motherboard on the order number ***** which were replacements to a q6600, asus mobo and ram. New components had been running perfectly the past month. then on the weekend I turned the pc and it powers on like a cold boot as if the mains had been off (there were no power cuts).

it just keeps restarting after a second and restarts automatically and this continues until power is turned off at the psu switch.

The system does not even show a POST.

I have tried with the memory sticks in different slots and one at a time as well as testing some spare memory I have, I have also tried with a spare 600w psu I have and get the same issue. I have tried with out anything except just the memory and cpu on the board attached and still no difference.

there are no obvious signs what the reason is, when it powers on there is no POST but the boards diagnostic led's light up but I didn’t find the manual too helpful with this. and they all lit up when it worked fine before the POST shows.

So I am not sure if it is the CPU or motherboard (even the ram) that has failed as I I have no way of testing the former 2, so please can I RMA the Ram, CPU and board to you.

Make sure your power supply is good.
Take everything out except a video card and 1 stick or two of memory.to reset cmos, unplug power supply clr cmos. I bet your power supply might not be up to snuff, even that 600 watt isn't good enough with that gtx 295 and 9600 gt etc. so that would not help. you have to start like your just building it, minuim stuff to get it up and running, that helps to identify what is causing it. :)

CaptNKILL
05-04-09, 11:18 AM
Switch off the main power supply switch (or just unplug the power cord).

Find the clear CMOS jumper on the motherboard (check the manual).

Set the CMOS clear jumper and leave it for a few minutes.

Set the jumper back, switch the power back on and try turning it on again.

If you do this without turning the PSU off or unplugging the main power it won't work.

nekrosoft13
05-04-09, 12:29 PM
like others already mentioned

1) clear cmos
2) try other PSU
3) use only one stick of ram, if doesn't work try with other stick of ram

wysiwyg
05-04-09, 03:09 PM
as mentioned tried all those scenarios and resetting cmos

and i tried the 600w with the 9600gt not gtx295

its either the board or CPU

fasedww
05-04-09, 03:13 PM
as mentioned tried all those scenarios and resetting cmos

and i tried the 600w with the 9600gt not gtx295

its either the board or CPU

Damn Bummer have to maybe test one or the other, with a knowing good one.

nekrosoft13
05-04-09, 03:22 PM
i would say board, CPU rarelly break

Maverick123w
05-04-09, 03:25 PM
i would say board, CPU rarelly break

/Agree

Drolfrawd
05-04-09, 03:40 PM
dud mobo
/

wysiwyg
05-04-09, 04:48 PM
its a good mobo when worked and had all the required expansion slots i need but if it is the mobo im gonna try and go for a different make

AthlonXP1800
05-04-09, 10:40 PM
Hmmm it happened to my old hardware in 2007 with brand new Geforce 8800GTX installed and everything was fine for a month but a month later when I switched on the 550W power supply and pressed the power button it wont POST. I kept pressed the button for a few minutes and it POST but the power supply only last a few months later into 2008 when it do not have enough power went in Geforce 8800GTX. Then I bought a new 550W power supply with triple 12V rails of 54A and it worked. I learnt a lesson about how 12V rails worked, my old power supply only had dual 12V rails of 36A that is why it failed to POST with Geforce 8800GTX when the card need more than 38A.

It also happened to my mate when he bought new cheap hardware to played GTAIV with dual core Athlon 64 X2 6000+ AM2 and Geforce 8800GTS 320MB but the PC kept restarted after 5 mins played GTAIV and Crysis all the time, he used 3 years old 400W power supply with dual 12V rails of 34A. Then he listened to me for advice and he bought a brand new Antec Truepower New series 550W power supply with quad 12V rails of 80A and it worked. No more restarted PC, played GTAIV all day with no issues.

A quad core Q6600 and Geforce 9600GT need more than 45A. How old are your current and spare power supply? And what the total +12V rails rating of your current and the spare power supply?

wysiwyg
05-05-09, 05:13 AM
my hardware aint cheap, anyway

The Be Quiet dark power 1000w PSU is about 6 months old

the spare 600w antec is about 2 years old

but the problem isnt those

I have an RMA for the motherboard and like what most of you have said at the store they do not think the CPU is at fault and blame the mobo or ram