PDA

View Full Version : new member...initiated with a 5900!!!

Pages : [1] 2

sledgmb
06-11-03, 10:30 PM
first post here. former ati guy and now an nvidia guy. well, my old pc is a p3-600 with a very old radeon all-in-wonder. i think it's a 32mb. anyway, it's an OLD pc.

well...

i just pulled the trigger on a new alienware 3.0Ghz with an nvidia 5900 256mb. i'm so stoked. i think it should be shipped within 3 weeks. i'm looking forward to playing some games that i've been missing out on as well as the new ones coming out in the fall. anyway, great forum and just wanted to introduce myself...

jAkUp
06-11-03, 10:37 PM
welcome... alienware makes some kick-ass desktops if you dont build btw...:)

sledgmb
06-11-03, 10:43 PM
i REALLY went back and forth on this one and i went all out and got an absolute top of the line rig. i only get a new rig every 5+ years, and when i do i go all out. the price difference between building and buying an alienware at this level (top of the line) was negligable when you consider all factors (os/shipping/single vendor, etc). i decided it was just plain time to pull the trigger. i'm fairly certain i'll be set for doom3 at this point. i can't wait to try out bf1942 that i've been hearing so much about. i'm also excited about breed next month and half life 2 in september. what a great time to be a gamer!!!

extreme_dB
06-11-03, 10:43 PM
I guess you didn't know...nvnews changed their membership policy so you no longer have to blow major cash on top of the line Nvidia hardware to join. :) Hehe, you lucky bastard!

deejaya
06-11-03, 10:48 PM
OMG I am trying to imagine the difference between a P3 600 with Radeon 32Mb and a 3Gig Alienware with 5900 256Mb. Yeah, I think you're gonna see some improvement. :D

sledgmb
06-11-03, 10:49 PM
hahaha. if only i had known! i would have shown my old TNT2 badge at the door. i've actually been putting off this purchase for at least 8 months so i feel pretty happy about my purchase right now. won't feel happy when the bill comes though!!! but it's all good. i won't get another complete pc for another 5 years or so. i MAY upgrade cpu/mobo/ram when the grantsdale chipset comes out in a year or so, but i won't need to upgrade all the other stuff i got with this purchase: 22" flat screen CRT, dvd rom, dvd+rw, hard drives, whatnot. can't wait to check little miss dawn out either. :-)

sledgmb
06-11-03, 10:52 PM
yah, the preformance improvement should be noticeable. the first test will be JK2. i bought JK2 naively for my old pc b/c i loved JK2 and i'm a starwars freak. man those storm troopers made the game play like trash! first thing i'm gonna do is test that joker out. what other recent eye-candy games should i try out once i get my rig?

deejaya
06-11-03, 10:56 PM
Forgotten Battles, Morrowind, Raven Shield, Splinter Cell, I think there may be a topic with a more complete list of games to show off high end rigs in the Games Forum.

jAkUp
06-11-03, 11:15 PM
ut2003, doom3 alpha... rallysport challenge...

i remember when i made the jump from a 386 20mhz... with like a 2mb onboard video card..lol to a p2 300mhz voodoo2, then to a p3 750mhz geforce 2mx... a very huge increase in all my games... and everything in general, after that i upgraded to the rig in my signature:) even more yummy;)

solofly
06-11-03, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by sledgmb
22" flat screen CRT

Wow and with that 5900 it sure will be a nice match...

Solomon
06-11-03, 11:56 PM
The price difference between building and buying an alienware at this level (top of the line) was negligable when you consider all factors (os/shipping/single vendor, etc).

I'm curious how you came to that conclusion? From what I see you could of saved over a couple hundred dollars going seperate parts compared to purchasing an Alienware system. I'm not knocking Alienware or your purchase. I'm just curious to what you consider negligable? :p

Remind you your stuck with no overclocking with an Alienware as they only equipped with an Intel Reference i875 canterwood. Plus the memory isn't like corsair or Kingston Hyper. :)

Plus those new Alienware cases look sweet. Did you do the research on it? It's the exact same case as their Dragon series. The only difference is that it's skinned with a different plastic. Plus I'm suprised they still use steel instead of Aluminum.

From my guesstimations you spent over $3000.00 ? You could of bought everything seperately (if shopped around for about $600.00 to $700.00 cheaper). How much did you spend on your system?

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com

bkswaney
06-11-03, 11:57 PM
Congrats on the new rig.
You will love it. They build kick ass PC's.
With the 5900 you will be rockin for sure. :D

bkswaney
06-11-03, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Solomon
I'm curious how you came to that conclusion? From what I see you could of saved over a couple hundred dollars going seperate parts compared to purchasing an Alienware system. I'm not knocking Alienware or your purchase. I'm just curious to what you consider negligable? :p

Remind you your stuck with no overclocking with an Alienware as they only equipped with an Intel Reference i875 canterwood. Plus the memory isn't like corsair or Kingston Hyper. :)

Plus those new Alienware cases look sweet. Did you do the research on it? It's the exact same case as their Dragon series. The only difference is that it's skinned with a different plastic. Plus I'm suprised they still use steel instead of Aluminum.

From my guesstimations you spent over $3000.00 ? You could of bought everything seperately (if shopped around for about $600.00 to $700.00 cheaper). How much did you spend on your system?

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com

Not everyone builds there own like we do.
He also has top notch support that we do not have. ;)

If I was going to buy one I would get a AW myself.
But I'll never buy. :angel:

Rogozhin
06-12-03, 12:32 AM
BK is correct solomon.

I build my own systems and work on my own car, (converting R12 AC to R134a at the moment) would cost me about $900 at a shop but I am doing it for $300 (purchase of vacum pump and manifold gauge set that I can use for years to come included in the cost).

Most people would consider $600 negligable for the work that I'm going to do on this car (more than likely yourself included) to convert to R134a, and this analogy holds true for most people that haven't cracked open a PC case.

rogo

solofly
06-12-03, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Solomon
Plus I'm suprised they still use steel instead of Aluminum.

Aluminum cases are weak and loud comparing to steel. I have a few cases (8 or so) both aluminum and steel. Steel is superior in my book. The only benefit alu has over steel is its weight for travelling purposes but nothing else.

The Baron
06-12-03, 12:57 AM
I have a steel case. A big hulking steel tower.

Why, you ask? Because then if somebody comes in my room to take my stuff, I hit them in the face with it. You can't do that with aluminum. ;)

Hellbinder
06-12-03, 01:55 AM
I have a steel case. A big hulking steel tower

Speaking of the Hulk... 9 Days Baby! 9 Days :D

(and no, i dont care if he looks like Shrek on steroids.)

EDIT: oh yeah Congrats on the new system, i always wanted a Alienware system.

stncttr908
06-12-03, 06:54 AM
When I played on my brother's 1700+ GF4 ti4200 system compared to my PIII 600 GF3 ti200, I almost needed new pants. You're going to need a whole new wardrobe.

And you get one of those nifty new Alienware cases. Hot.

sledgmb
06-12-03, 07:36 AM
thanks for all the (mostly) supportive comments. i know bringing up the word "alienware" is bound to bring up negative comments from those that build their own. i work in the computer industry (sap consulting) and i'm very intimate with the insides of computers. i've had that experience before (and enjoyed it), but didn't really feel like taking the time to do it all over again.

i didn't want to deal with 20 different boxes coming from newegg and possibly other locations to the house and paying shipping on all of these. i didn't want to deal with thermal paste and a HSF. i didn't want to deal with the time it would take to put it together only to have the possibility that one part could be busted and have to go through the whole RMA process.

i did pay a pretty penny for my new rig, but i'm very happy with what i've ordered. i got exactly what i wanted for approximately the same price as if i had built from scratch. now granted, the spreadsheet i put together had all retail parts instead of OEM and there is where the difference lies. but when i look at an almost identical cost on building/pre-built, throw in the OS from alienware, throw in the single vendor to deal with problems, throw in that it's pre built, throw in that i get that pimpin' case (joking...kind of), it was just pretty obvious what choice to make.

i'm not saying buying a pre-built alienware is for everyone. MANY people hack on it. but when you're talking $3500, a $200 difference doesn't make THAT much of a difference, given some of the benefits. at least it doesn't IMHO.

jAkUp
06-12-03, 08:39 AM
cant disagree with that:D my friend has an alienware, 2.53mhz with a raddy 9700 and rdram... it kicks mucho ass:) they also load up all the latest drivers and bios's for you... if i had to get a prebuilt, it would probably be alienware:D

i remember the days when they were offering 400mhz high class systems.... awww... the memories;)

Sazar
06-12-03, 09:21 AM
I just wanted to know... how much...

and to follow on from what Bu said before...

:D

yah.. I think you should see a difference of one or two fps @ 800x600 res :D

congrats.. enjoy da fragging :)

sledgmb
06-12-03, 10:25 AM
now the wait sets in though. the order is confirmed and it could take as long as 5 weeks to get here. their standard is 3 weeks, but there is something of a wait on 2 particular parts. the 5900 of course, and the green case. man it's going to be a long 5 weeks!!!

The Baron
06-12-03, 10:30 AM
You must wait in joyful prayer and preparation for the coming of the Alienware. ;)

Then again, the 5900 Ultra might be delayed, and you'll get your box once Half Life 2 comes out. ;)

GlowStick
06-12-03, 10:33 AM
now the wait sets in though. the order is confirmed and it could take as long as 5 weeks to get here. their standard is 3 weeks, but there is something of a wait on 2 particular parts. the 5900 of course, and the green case. man it's going to be a long 5 weeks!!!

Yeah, back in the day, when did not build my own pcs i bought an alienware.

It is the coolist thing when it arrives on your door! Hehe, just i spent a tad bit more than you did : P

EDIT------------

Also, some people are saying bad thigns about useing an Intel mobo, yeah you cant overclock them, but they are so friggin stable!

You can be assured that everytime you go to fire your computer up it will work fine, 3, 4 or even 6 years down the road, probly longer than that.

Badash
06-12-03, 10:40 AM
let us know how loud that new alienware case is and what kind and size of fans it uses when you get it?