PDA

View Full Version : Why has NVIDIA stripped AO from Crysis's profile?

Pixelsmack
05-06-09, 06:15 PM
It worked great, very little FPS hit. Latest drivers have it hard coded as OFF for Crysis.

Did the FTC open a case against Crysis for looking too good and being unfair to other games and that this feature only deepens the......wait for it.....crysis?

Also should add that per program settings do not work for turn AO on or off. nvEnhancer works just fine though. Still, if NVIDIA offers it, it should work.

AngelGraves13
05-07-09, 03:21 PM
Just enable AO in Crysis via the console or as a launch command...their implementation is better anyway!

as a launch command +con_restricted 0 +r_SSAO 1

also once launched and in-game, pull down the console and test r_SSAO 0 and 1 and you'll see the difference like night and day.

SSAO OFF http://home.comcast.net/~send2tonym/Pics/ssao0.jpg
SSAO ON http://home.comcast.net/~send2tonym/Pics/ssao1.jpg

Pixelsmack
05-07-09, 04:43 PM
Just enable AO in Crysis via the console or as a launch command...their implementation is better anyway!

as a launch command +con_restricted 0 +r_SSAO 1

also once launched and in-game, pull down the console and test r_SSAO 0 and 1 and you'll see the difference like night and day.

Whoa? Really? That's awesome! No wonder and I had NO IDEA! They should have documented it more!

AngelGraves13
05-07-09, 04:54 PM
I also use these commands

* con_restricted 0 - Allows you to tweak Crysis in-game
* r_TexturesStreaming 0 - Turns off Texture Streaming and loads all textures for the level. This removes the texture pop-in effect and makes them more detailed at a distance.
* r_SSAO 1 - Enables Screen Space Ambient Occlusion, which will provide more realistic global lighting.
* r_UsePOM 0 - Disables Parallax Occlusion Mapping. When enabled, Anisotropic Filtering cannot be used.
* i_mouse_accel 0 - Disables Mouse Acceleration.

Lfctony
05-07-09, 11:04 PM
I think it looks like crap. It seems that the gun has four more "shadows"...

AngelGraves13
05-08-09, 02:37 AM
I think it looks like crap. It seems that the gun has four more "shadows"...

The first pic is without AO. The difference is on the door and wall.

jolle
05-08-09, 04:10 AM
The first pic is without AO. The difference is on the door and wall.
Think he is refering to the artifacting around the weapon in the "with" shot.
They should exclude that from the AO, but i guess that might be tricky, specially if its a reused Z buffer..

Lfctony
05-08-09, 11:32 AM
Think he is refering to the artifacting around the weapon in the "with" shot.
They should exclude that from the AO, but i guess that might be tricky, specially if its a reused Z buffer..

Yep...