PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Geforce 185.85 WHQL drivers

DSC
05-07-09, 11:42 AM
Nvidia has released Geforce 185.85 WHQL certified drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_185.85_whql.html

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_185.85_whql.html

Tikimotel
05-07-09, 04:02 PM
"Automatically installs the new PhysX System Software version 9.09.0408."

The physx file is still 9.09.0203 the filename is 9.09.0408 but it isn't...just like the separate physx download-file...I hope Nvidia wake's up and corrects this.

LT.Schaffer
05-07-09, 09:36 PM
Odd Problem here, after installing these my NV CP is completly missing:confused:

i did all the proper steps to install, but when i rebooted the control panel is missing,there's no shortcut in Control panel either:(

NemesisChild
05-07-09, 09:53 PM
Another thing, after installation, it didn't require a reboot....odd

I restarted my comp just to be on the safe side!

LT.Schaffer
05-07-09, 10:02 PM
Mine required reboot....but three trys later and the control panel is still gone:thumbdwn:

I guess i'll try installing a previous driver, then installing this one on top maybe?

methimpikehoses
05-07-09, 10:49 PM
I find these to be very stuttery... maybe I need to SLI patch again???

Quick420
05-07-09, 11:14 PM
I installled em for COD:WAW and I also installed the newest Evga sli patch as well,no real difference here.I capped the game at 125fps and it just stays there.My CP works though never had a problem like yours Lt.Schaffer,try installing over older drivers it could work;)

LT.Schaffer
05-08-09, 01:25 AM
Well i've Tryed everything and nothing works:(

When i installed 182.50,then installed 185.85..the control panel shortcut was in control panel.
But when i clicked on it it said "version mismatch reinstalling Video Drivers should solve the problem":thumbdwn:

So back to 182.50 for me since that driver works perfect for me right now.

sniviler
05-09-09, 04:38 PM
Well i've Tryed everything and nothing works:(

When i installed 182.50,then installed 185.85..the control panel shortcut was in control panel.
But when i clicked on it it said "version mismatch reinstalling Video Drivers should solve the problem":thumbdwn:

So back to 182.50 for me since that driver works perfect for me right now.

Try driver cleaner (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/desktop_software/other_tools/driver_cleaner_pro.cfm)

LT.Schaffer
05-09-09, 08:16 PM
that's what i used:(

Well i'll give it another try:o

LT.Schaffer
05-09-09, 09:26 PM
I Fixed it!!!:D

After installing the driver it still had the problem..
So i went into the Nvidia folder on the c drive,and ran the setup again and installed them on top of the previous Install of the same drivers...rebooted and everything is fine again:headexplode:

technoid
05-09-09, 11:52 PM
I just installed the 185.85 WHQL drivers and no reboot here either.

I don't know how they work yet and I don't play many games anymore but I wanted to say the install process didn't ask me to reboot.

Feyy
05-10-09, 07:56 PM
I find these to be very stuttery... maybe I need to SLI patch again???

Ive been getting FPS crashes in games from 60 to 30ish (stuttery/skippy ****) usually after minimizing/alt tab or simply just after playing a while.. but unsure if its because of the new drivers or problems with the graphics card.

Let me know if you find out anything more :o

methimpikehoses
05-10-09, 08:39 PM
My CoD5 is still stuttering where it never did before, but I still have yet to try the SLi patch again. I also have not tried disabling physX... maybe I should try that.

edit: meh, still stuttery.

mj12axy88
05-11-09, 09:22 AM
(lee63) Hello everyone! I'm here to present a fix for the 185.85 WHQL driver problem of disappearing / missing / gone nVIDIA CP control panel.
The nVIDIA corporation seems to be heavily saving funds on a normally functioning driver installation development, otherwise the network wouldn't be full of nVIDIA graphics users coughing blood from malice driver updates.
I've been experiencing such problems too - some time ago updating graphics drivers destroyed my vista, and now when I tried to update to 185.85 WHQL drivers I lost the nVIDIA control panel, however I figured out how to fix this.
I use a GeForce 8600M GT equipped laptop, but this solution most probably will help for anyone who lost his nVIDIA control panel after updating to one of those 185.xx drivers.
If you have tried nearly anything to get the panel back, but with no results, then try these steps below:
Step 1: Make sure you install nVIDIA 185.xx driver (latest preferred). Install by any means so the driver worked. (nVIDIA control panel of course couldn't be launched because of some version mismatch/dll error/hanging explorer or whatever (otherwise you wouldn't read this post)).
Step 2: Download an application called "Universal Extractor". It's a freeware and can be found at softpedia.org. Install it.
Step 3: Go to "C:\NVIDIA\WinVista\185.85\IS\Display\". There must be an exe file called "NvCplSetupInt.exe". If you installed Universal extractor with shell integration, just press the right mouse and extract it to subdir with universal extractor (otherwise use the start menu). Universal Extractor will provide several extraction methods - try any of them till the job is done successfuly. P.S>The Universal Extractor might be needed to run as Administrator.
Step 4: Go to the extracted directory and once again using universal extractor extract the "NVIDIA Control Panel.msi" to a new subdir.
Step 5: Depending on the used extraction method the subdir's folder layout might vary, but there must be single directory containing *.dll, *.exe, *.cpl and *.xml files. Check their presence and reboot into safe-mode.
Step 6: Once in safe-mode navigate to the folder containing those dll/exe/cpl/xml files. Copy all of them and paste them into "C:\Windows\System32\" replacing any same files.
Step 7: Reboot normally and go to windows control panel and check if nVIDIA panel works. It should work (if it doesn't - a) you did something wrong, b) this method won't work for you). If it works - well done! But we're still not done. The driver must be initiallized at startup correctly so that the display brightness/gamma/color and other settings were loaded at startup.
Step 8: make a text file and paste in this:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run]
"NvCplDaemon"="RUNDLL32.EXE C:\\Windows\\system32\\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup"
"NvMediaCenter"="RUNDLL32.EXE C:\\Windows\\system32\\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit" . Chenge extension to *.reg and add these keys to registry.
Step 9: Now reboot. No errors should occur and the driver must load correctly including autoloading display profiles.

If this solution works - please replicate it among other websites too.

saturnotaku
05-11-09, 10:04 AM
I use a GeForce 8600M GT equipped laptop, but this solution most probably will help for anyone who lost his nVIDIA control panel after updating to one of those 185.xx drivers.

If you tried to use NVIDIA's official notebook drivers, that's part of the reason why you're having problems. I could never get any NVIDIA release to work on mine, which has the same 8600 GT. www.laptopvideo2go.com has modified the desktop drivers to be compatible with notebooks, and their modded .inf files works each and every time.

Yaboze
05-11-09, 10:04 AM
I'm using these in Windows 7, working nice so far.

I was using 185.81's before, they seem the same.

I am getting some flickering on some small areas using the VATS in Fallout 3 though, but I think that was there before.

Mike89
05-12-09, 10:46 PM
So far these drivers are working well for me, although at this time I've only played Fallout 3 with them. Didn't have any control panel issues. One thing I notice different about these drivers is there is no "nvapps.xml" file in the extracted driver folder as there has been for all drivers up to this point. That file is where the game profiles are stored. Installing the drivers does put that file in Windows\System32 even though it's not visible in the driver package. Before, I used to modify that file removing all those damn game profiles I didn't want and then installed the drivers. Now I have to install the drivers first and then go into Windows\System32 to edit that file.

Isola
05-15-09, 02:24 AM
constant CTD with this set of driver + Men of war game.

walterman
05-15-09, 10:19 AM
DMC4 works, & the hardware video decoding seems to work too. Good driver so far.