PDA

View Full Version : What is this crap?

Destroy
05-09-09, 11:58 AM
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1289/img9490e.jpg (http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img9490e.jpg)

Since when has XBox gone ad based? If I wanted ads I'd play games on my PS3, which I don't much except for exclusives and movies.

NarcissistZero
05-09-09, 01:09 PM
Where did you encounter this ad? There's ads all over the place on the dashboard... is this somewhere new?

|MaguS|
05-09-09, 01:41 PM
Since when has XBox gone ad based? If I wanted ads I'd play games on my PS3, which I don't much except for exclusives and movies.

PS3 has exclusive ads in games? Any game that features ingame ads usually has ads on both platforms... never seen any PS3 game that has more ads then its X360 counter part...

Lyme
05-09-09, 02:30 PM
PS3 has exclusive ads in games? Any game that features ingame ads usually has ads on both platforms... never seen any PS3 game that has more ads then its X360 counter part...

I'm sure I read that with the wrong meaning.. Imagine people arguing over which console has the best exclusive ads.

AFAIK both platforms are pretty much on par with each other with ads in the games. However the 360 also has ads on the dashboard, while I haven't seen Sony put them there. Then again, my friend with the ps3 doesn't have it hooked up to the internet. As well the 360 dashboard ads are gamer related.

|MaguS|
05-09-09, 03:38 PM
I'm sure I read that with the wrong meaning.. Imagine people arguing over which console has the best exclusive ads.

AFAIK both platforms are pretty much on par with each other with ads in the games. However the 360 also has ads on the dashboard, while I haven't seen Sony put them there. Then again, my friend with the ps3 doesn't have it hooked up to the internet. As well the 360 dashboard ads are gamer related.

I ment by there are ads on the PS3 in general that aren't on the X360... Only time I have seen ads in a PS3 game are in a game that has ingame ads or in Home... that is it. He made it seems like the X360 never had ads and the PS3 had them so he didn't use the PS3 because of it.

ViN86
05-09-09, 03:55 PM
**** Microsoft. They charge people for XBL and then need ad revenues on top of that?

I played GTA:IV online on my PS3 the other day and there was nothing different than 360 online. Only difference was I was $40 poorer on 360.

NarcissistZero
05-09-09, 04:00 PM
**** Microsoft. They charge people for XBL and then need ad revenues on top of that?

I played GTA:IV online on my PS3 the other day and there was nothing different than 360 online. Only difference was I was $40 poorer on 360.

Xbox Live is the biggest rip-off of the entire game industry. The reason they got away with it was because online play was a new thing for consoles when they introduced it, so they could sell it as something new and unique they were enabling through the fee. If previous consoles had more free internet presence like the PC had back then, they would never have got so many people to pay for it.

The ads are insulting on top of the fee, yes, but even more insulting is the peer-to-peer gameplay and the usual horrid Internet issues for big games when they launch.

ViN86
05-09-09, 04:02 PM
Xbox Live is the biggest rip-off of the entire game industry. The reason they got away with it was because online play was a new thing for consoles when they introduced it, so they could sell it as something new and unique they were enabling through the fee. If previous consoles had more free internet presence like the PC had back then, they would never have got so many people to pay for it.

The ads are insulting on top of the fee, yes, but even more insulting is the peer-to-peer gameplay and the usual horrid Internet issues for big games when they launch.

Seriously. Then top it off with the fact that Gears of War 2 is the most connection dependent game ever made and you have an experience that will make you break something. I started with 4 360 controllers, now I have 2. :o

I love paying money so I can have my game hosted on some retard's connection who's running 10 torrents in the background.

|MaguS|
05-09-09, 05:07 PM

Well the SNES and Genesis did have online play... as did the Dreamcast (which was very popular online with NFL 2K and other games like Quake 3). The Xbox was just the first really well done one. I mean it blew your mind with the way they offered Live compared to the Dreamcast...

But I agree that its an insult to have to pay for inferior service. The whole P2P system is a slap in the face, especially with how many people abuse it to give themselves better records online.

crainger
05-09-09, 05:22 PM
LOL!

I've never seen anything like that. Here in AU it's illegal to have in game advertising. So we rarely see it... Dashboard is different. There are ads, but only those relating directly to the 360 and it's direct partners like iiNet.

NarcissistZero
05-09-09, 05:57 PM
Well the SNES and Genesis did have online play...

Not for 99.999% of people.

And Dreamcast was pretty overlooked in a lot of areas.

|MaguS|
05-09-09, 06:08 PM
Not for 99.999% of people.

And Dreamcast was pretty overlooked in a lot of areas.

http://info.sonicretro.org/XBAND

Come on! It rocked!

S.I.N
05-10-09, 06:55 PM
I just saw this thing on Live and you really have to go of your way to scroll to it and be offended. You dont even get to that screen unless you click it. And I think this add worked on my as I want to try the ice mocha.:o

Noriega
05-10-09, 09:24 PM
consoles rules!

Mr. Hunt
05-10-09, 11:10 PM
consoles rules!

Yup because you never see advertisements when going to download stuff on the PC, right?

NarcissistZero
05-10-09, 11:20 PM
Yup because you never see advertisements when going to download stuff on the PC, right?

Yeah, I never see ads on filefront or gamestop, EVER.

:afro2:

Mr. Hunt
05-10-09, 11:27 PM
Yeah, and I don't have to pay to download some "exclusive" stuff on Fileplanet either man!

Noriega
05-11-09, 07:43 AM
Yeah, and I don't have to pay to download some "exclusive" stuff on Fileplanet either man!

I download it for free from Polish sites without full screen ads. AND I DO NOT PAY FOR LIVE! It's funny to PAY for Live and have ads, when I download for free there are ads only because someone need to pay for servers. Live just rape you in the butt guys and you just screaming that it's fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbGkxcY7YFU&feature=PlayList&p=E2C8DBA047BA8154&index=0

fizzelopeguss
05-11-09, 08:29 AM
That's what pissed me off about SKYtv, pay 16 a month and still they have long ass adverts. No chance, they can kiss my ass.

Mr. Hunt
05-11-09, 02:13 PM
I download it for free from Polish sites without full screen ads. AND I DO NOT PAY FOR LIVE! It's funny to PAY for Live and have ads, when I download for free there are ads only because someone need to pay for servers. Live just rape you in the butt guys and you just screaming that it's fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbGkxcY7YFU&feature=PlayList&p=E2C8DBA047BA8154&index=0

I don't scream that Live is fine... I actually think Live is a terrible service to pay for.