PDA

View Full Version : you gotta love the price of pc games

Pages : [1] 2

Amaury
05-11-09, 07:29 AM
$29.99 for Ghostbusters + free tshirt if you preorder now.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=647520

I just bought Cryostasis and Wolverine $65 total for both games. Console versions are usually $60. Pc gaming isn't going anywhere folks.

Noriega
05-11-09, 07:46 AM
$29.99 for Ghostbusters + free tshirt if you preorder now.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=647520

I just bought Cryostasis and Wolverine $65 total for both games. Console versions are usually $60. Pc gaming isn't going anywhere folks.

yep and here in Europe PC games are even cheaper. I bought GTA IV for 9pounds!

Buio
05-11-09, 09:17 AM
It is irritating that console games that suffer from much lower piracy is a lot more expensive. Yeah I know about license fee that they have to pay to Microsoft/Sony etc. But it doesn't send a good signal. It's like "stop pirating our PC games so we can raise the price with 20%".

CaptNKILL
05-11-09, 09:21 AM
I've probably spent under a hundred dollars on Steam for dozens of games.

NarcissistZero
05-11-09, 11:35 PM
Console versions are usually $60. Pc gaming isn't going anywhere folks.

I don't really know how cheap prices mean anything about the lasting strength of PC games.

ATOJAR
05-12-09, 01:30 AM
I don't really know how cheap prices mean anything about the lasting strength of PC games.

Agreed, No way a PS3/XBOX360 can compete with a decent pc, Games are alsmost half the priced brand new for a pc(25 usually for the top games), I much prefere a keyboard/mouse over a controller and the games on a pc at alot more graphically advance.

I hardly buy games for my ps3(usually cost 40 -50 for the top games), I own fifa09 & the wife owns singstar 1,2,3 & singstar pop .. the next game ill be buying for the ps3 in UFC undisputed then after that will be fightnight round 4.

Mr. Hunt
05-12-09, 01:35 AM

Yeah... actually the opposite... what is better... Wolverine selling millions for 60 bucks a piece... or selling in the thousands for like 30 bucks? For the businesses... I am going to say they prefer the console side of the money.

Loreman
05-12-09, 01:58 AM
Yeah... actually the opposite... what is better... Wolverine selling millions for 60 bucks a piece... or selling in the thousands for like 30 bucks? For the businesses... I am going to say they prefer the console side of the money.

I think multi-platform rubbish like wolverine is exactly what I don't want to see on the PC.

I am happy to pay TOP dollar for a proper PC game, which are of course few and far between nowadays. For example I would rather pay top dollar for the awesomely deep and complex Baldurs Gate II of old then pay for the rubbish/kiddy/gauntlet arcade clone that was the console version.

I'll pay top dollar, if the game isn't made incredibly dumb for the console meat heads.

I don't see that happening though.

My XBOX 360 is just a media center nowadays.

NarcissistZero
05-12-09, 02:25 AM
I think multi-platform rubbish like wolverine is exactly what I don't want to see on the PC.

Wolverine is actually a damn fine game.

Loreman
05-12-09, 05:52 AM
Wolverine is actually a damn fine game.

I thought it was mindless, childish, repetetive rubbish, but everyone has their cup of tea.

At any rate it's not the point I was getting at. I should have typed that sentence minus the wolverine part!

"I think multi-platform rubbish is exactly what I don't want to see on the PC."

That reads better.

Noriega
05-12-09, 07:04 AM

Sorry but most of game price is going to MS, Sony or Nintendo pocket. Developers doesn't get more money because of higher price. So I would say that PC model is better cause same or more money from one game goes to developer while gamers pays less.

nutcrackr
05-12-09, 08:32 AM
The lower initial and quicker drop in price should be an added pro for PC gaming, certainly brings back the cost difference when you are buying 20+ games a year.

But I'm not sure it's a strength, although many believe gaming prices should be lowered to appeal to mass market. It's pretty much demand and publishers who set that price.

S.I.N
05-12-09, 11:48 AM
Too bad even at such low prices some will never buy there PC games as they rather "try" before they buy it and end up "forgetting" to buy it.

Capt. Picard
05-12-09, 12:00 PM
My brother buys the games. I play them when he's done.

But lately my PC can't process the graphics that well anymore. :(

alfredog1976
05-15-09, 07:08 PM
You also get free eMovie cash ($10) when you pre-order Ghostbusters pc game. I just got promo code via e-mail. Makes this an even better deal. :captnkill:

ViN86
05-15-09, 07:12 PM
Well prices on new console games are fixed. It's not like the company has a say in the $60 price tag.

Destroy
05-15-09, 07:22 PM
Not really, CoD4 is still $40 for cripes sake and it's a year and half old. CoD5 I could care less about.

NarcissistZero
05-15-09, 08:27 PM
Well prices on new console games are fixed. It's not like the company has a say in the $60 price tag.

Games come out cheaper on console all the time, there is no $60 requirement.

crainger
05-16-09, 12:37 AM
Yep. For new release here you'll pay 120 , 100 or 60 depending on whether it's budget or not. Then you have the sales, often it's cheaper to get a new release console game 1-2 weeks afterwards as Game usually drops the price from 120 to 70-80AUD. pretty good IMHO.

Kaguya
05-16-09, 02:01 AM
Agreed, No way a PS3/XBOX360 can compete with a decent pc, Games are alsmost half the priced brand new for a pc(25 usually for the top games), I much prefere a keyboard/mouse over a controller and the games on a pc at alot more graphically advance.

I hardly buy games for my ps3(usually cost 40 -50 for the top games), I own fifa09 & the wife owns singstar 1,2,3 & singstar pop .. the next game ill be buying for the ps3 in UFC undisputed then after that will be fightnight round 4.

That's why I don't understand the draw of the console. An acquaintance of mine recently spent almost two thousand dollars on an XBox 360, accessories and games when he could have put that money into his PC instead... with the price difference between PCs and consoles, i think you can make up some of the cost differences in hardware, plus you'll have a better experience (IMHO).

NarcissistZero
05-16-09, 02:51 AM
That's why I don't understand the draw of the console. An acquaintance of mine recently spent almost two thousand dollars on an XBox 360, accessories and games when he could have put that money into his PC instead... with the price difference between PCs and consoles, i think you can make up some of the cost differences in hardware, plus you'll have a better experience (IMHO).

Price has very little to do with console dominance, no matter what anyone says. It's all about ease of use and accessability... that's why consoles are the main market.

Well, that and the fact that consoles were targeted toward kids when games started, and now those kids are grown and used to playing on consoles.

Buio
05-16-09, 05:00 AM
I thought it was mindless, childish, repetetive rubbish, but everyone has their cup of tea.

It got pretty good reviews and talk so overall it is considered a good game. But as said, also you have your cup of tea.

Personally, I enjoy some mindless action (and bloody) games now and then. Makes me relax when gaming in a way I can't when playing strategy games.

On Topic: Yeah, I agree the prices on many new PC games are fairly low. Which is a good thing of course. Hope it makes more people buy PC games so the trend from consoles swings back a bit.

Gaco
05-16-09, 05:36 AM
My brother buys the games. I play them when he's done.

But lately my PC can't process the graphics that well anymore. :(
To the wallet, Picard! :D

HiCZoK4
05-18-09, 12:10 PM
In Poland. Cryostasis costs 60zl and gtaiv120zl.
Console version of GTAIV costs 250zl

MaxFX
05-18-09, 01:27 PM
3D Vision will just be tha bomb, soon no one will play on their consoles when they get a glimt of this wonder I promise, have seen several post that their consoles just collectiong dust since they bought this 3d wonder!

Pc + nVidia + pHysX = luuuve baby ;)

Now time to run and hide from the console TROLLS :D