PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 to ship in time for the holiday season, says Microsoft

nekrosoft13
05-11-09, 06:34 PM
After month and months of only saying that Windows7 is scheduled to arrive three years after the commercial launch of Vista - meaning around January 2010, Microsoft has today finally updated the release plan for its upcoming operating system. In a press release the Redmond company mentioned that Windows 7 "will be available to customers in time for the holiday shopping season," with Windows Server 2008 R2 set to come about around the same time.

"With early RC testing and extensive partner feedback we've received, Windows 7 is tracking well for holiday availability," said Bill Veghte, senior vice president of the Windows Business at Microsoft.

While Microsoft didn't provide an actual release date, the estimate might confirm a previous statement of Acer's Bobby Watkins which put Windows 7's availability for October 23rd. That's after the back to school period and a few weeks before this year's holiday shopping spree season. Mark it down and start the countdown.

http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?shownews=26380&catid=3

Bman212121
05-11-09, 06:42 PM
We maybe I'll load up the RTM in September then. :D

ViN86
05-11-09, 08:11 PM
I'm loving this RC.

crainger
05-12-09, 05:44 AM
It is quite nice isn't it.

mailman2
05-12-09, 08:45 AM
Seven is heaven.

I installed this on an old PC the other day, ran great. Even installed drivers for ~8 year old scanner that only had XP drivers. The compatibility troubleshooter is great for installing old drivers and apps. Ran through told me what to use and worked! Can't believe a scanner that never had Vista drivers ( and would not work under Vista) installed and works fine under Windows 7! Great job guys!

Driver database of Vista, look of Vista with the performance of XP. Seven will be the best OS MS has released evar!

yehuda
05-12-09, 09:11 AM
Even installed drivers for ~8 year old scanner that only had XP drivers.

I have a phoneline network card on one of my pcs that only has windows 2000 drivers, and they work on both vista and windows 7, which was really suprising.
It does need the 32bit versions though.

Crow_Nest
05-12-09, 10:08 AM
Awesome. I just started using the RC1 2 days ago and im loving it so much more than vista.

mailman2
05-12-09, 10:51 AM
I have a phoneline network card on one of my pcs that only has windows 2000 drivers, and they work on both vista and windows 7, which was really suprising.
It does need the 32bit versions though.

Yea, this one was x86 as well. Im running the x64 on mine at home but my hardware is all new stuff.

wolfgar
05-12-09, 11:52 AM
Worst kept secret in MS history.

We've known for months; they've been targeting the 2009 holiday shopping season.

But, didn't want to commit; just in case they found a major problem.
Actually, I find it surprising they announced it this soon after the RC. I figured at least 2-3 more weeks to determine if they had any show-stoppers and felt safe.
But Now? Its still too early to tell.

Probably more for the OEM vendors; to 'get off your ass this time'. The clock is ticking.

ME: Using the RC-x64 full time at home.

Koko56
05-14-09, 12:48 PM
Does anyone get high CPU usage from searchfilterhost.exe?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=36919&stc=1&d=1242319676 :o

mullet
05-14-09, 01:43 PM
I disabled them MUAAHHhhhh.
Windows Firewall = Disabled
Windows Search = Disabled
Windows Defender = Disabled
Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) = Disabled

Koko56
05-14-09, 02:35 PM
I disabled them MUAAHHhhhh.
Windows Firewall = Disabled
Windows Search = Disabled
Windows Defender = Disabled
Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) = Disabled

Search is pretty useful though

I might give it the "BOTD" in case it's indexing, but my HD lights are not lit up all the time. so... :bleh:

Logical
05-14-09, 03:07 PM
Is there any news on the pricing of the OS ?

I'm a little gutted i have to payout for another OS after purchasing 2 versions of Vista.

Koko56
05-14-09, 03:12 PM

I'm a little gutted i have to payout for another OS after purchasing 2 versions of Vista.

You could maybe get an "upgrade" release?

nekrosoft13
05-14-09, 04:11 PM

pricing will be the same as vista

wolfgar
05-14-09, 05:55 PM
pricing will be the same as vista

+1

That's been my guess as well.

Now the question: Retail or OEM? (assuming same limitations as Vista)

OEM: can only install into ONE system (with limited upgrades)
Retail: Can 'transfer' / upgrade unlimited number of time.

I'll probably get retail to avoid future headaches.
Assuming its released for the holiday season, I will probably be looking at some major upgrade before spring. (probably GPU again)

lets see what the NV300 does in the real world.

mojoman0
05-14-09, 10:34 PM
will a windows 7 upgrade work for Vista OEM

nekrosoft13
05-14-09, 11:04 PM
will a windows 7 upgrade work for Vista OEM

yes

nekrosoft13
05-14-09, 11:05 PM
I'll probably get retail to avoid future headaches.
Assuming its released for the holiday season, I will probably be looking at some major upgrade before spring. (probably GPU again)

I had been lucky, 3 didffrent motherboards with Vista OEM and no problem ;)

LordJuanlo
05-15-09, 03:46 AM
I installed my Vista OEM on two motherboards with no problems, but I had to reinstall one of them and it wouldn't activate for the third time. I could have called Microsoft but I ended getting a license from work (we recently got the MSDN subscription)