PDA

View Full Version : Router and Port Forwarding Help

|MaguS|
05-12-09, 09:40 AM
So I got a netgear router right now and well I have hit a wall with it. It only allows me to port forward a max of 15 clients and well I need more... Since Port Forwarding only allows a single PC alot of those options I need doubled since my desktop sometimes runs the same applications and well as of right now I have just been logging in and updating the IP to the current PC Im using but that has become annoying. I have been messing with Port Triggering but don't know much about it, like can it handle a range of ports?

If anyone has an easy solution for my problem I would appreciate the input.

Q
05-12-09, 10:06 AM
If your router is on the following list, I would use the WRT firmware since it gives you many more options.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

|MaguS|
05-12-09, 11:16 AM
Nope, Not supported. I have the WPN824V2.

crainger
05-13-09, 12:53 AM
Time to ditch the old Netgear |MagNuS|. I swtched my Netgear DG834PN to modem only mode, then got a cheap Buffalo router put WRT on it and my network is much easier to manage.

Q
05-13-09, 07:06 AM
I'm going to give you another answer that you don't want to hear, MAGUS:

Build a router.

I spent 200 on brand new equipment for mine. Any PC that you can throw a few network cards in will be fine. Grab a copy of IPCOP or PFSENSE (what I run at home) and have at it. It gives you nearly unlimited expansion and control over your network. I would highly recommend that you at least download a Virtual Appliance or install the OS in a VM to check it out.

To attempt to give you some "useful" feedback...
Port Triggering varies from router to router. My old router used to do ranges for port triggering just fine. I actually had to use Port Triggering in lieu of Port Forwarding because I ran into a similar situation. It was a PITA to set up the rules, though.

HaydenHarnet
07-31-10, 05:31 AM
get router with dd-wrt support , it will make things easier

six_storm
07-31-10, 09:20 PM
Build a small firewall/router via a small VIA or Intel Atom build, use something like PFSENSE. Or heck, get a new router that will do what you want.

ViN86
08-02-10, 11:30 AM
Stop bumping old threads hayden.