PDA

View Full Version : pcclub gets 5900 ultras in stock tommorrow!!! (6-13-03)

jAkUp
06-12-03, 08:26 PM
just got off the phone with my buddy rob and he told me they are getting 3 of them in his store tommorrow(montclair,ca)... sadly they are all sold out... and im broke as a joke so i dont think i can scrape enough pennies together, but hes getting one, hopefully he can post some first hand experience!!!:D he posts here and his name is nrdstrm.

they are evga, 256mb ultra versions... i believe it is $560

hmmm... looks like friday the 13th is a lucky day:D

/EDIT: its evga not pny:)

bkswaney
06-12-03, 08:38 PM
Yep... My B-day. :D Big 35.

But there is no way I'm giving that for one.
I'll just wait for the prices to drop a little. :)

LetMeIn
06-12-03, 08:41 PM
yeh me too, I will wait until id DROPS all the way to the Bottom, that being $500 hehe ................

lukar
06-12-03, 09:14 PM
JakUP I see you own GFX 5800Ultra, lol I guess you're not satisfied with it. And now you're going to spend 560$ for GFX 5900.

You're stupid, no hard feelings...

jAkUp
06-12-03, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by lukar
JakUP I see you own GFX 5800Ultra, lol I guess you're not satisfied with it. And now you're going to spend 560$ for GFX 5900.

hmmm... apparantly the stupid one must be you, because i never said that i was going to get one, and in fact, im not. i am satisfied with my card. im gonna see what the nv40 brings.

creedamd
06-12-03, 09:30 PM

You shouldn't call anyone stupid. He just owned you.

saturnotaku
06-12-03, 09:35 PM

And if he was going to get one, why the hell should you care?

Some people's children.

MikeC
06-12-03, 09:37 PM

WRONG I have hard feelings. Don't ever speak to my man JakUp like that again. :(

saturnotaku
06-12-03, 09:41 PM
Man, you know you did something idiotic when the strong, silent administrator lays the smack down on you.

Here's a nickel's worth of free advice lukar, you're treading on rather thin ice right now so I would watch what I say for the forseeable future. ;)

Solomon
06-12-03, 10:01 PM
What I'm curious to know is why everyone will jump all over the 256Mb edition. Didn't anyone read the reviews of the 256Mb vs 128Mb for the Radeon 9800 Pro? If I was anyone interested in the GeForce FX 5900. I would wait until the non-ultra comes out and save a hundred or more dollars. Just my opinion.

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com

Badash
06-12-03, 10:07 PM
Yea but pcclub won't let you buy it over the phone with your CC. You have to be in the area or know someone who can physically pick it up for you.

nrdstrm
06-13-03, 12:21 AM
Ok, just for the record, I am the "Stupid" one. Lol. I am buying a 5900 tomarrow if everthing goes as planned. We are getting 3 in and I am buying one. The other 2 are sold to hardcore enthusiasts (one owns a computer store, but buys his new cards from us because generally we get them first, plus he gets reseller prices). Why am I getting one when I am for the most part happy with my 5800Ultra? Simple. I am beta testing a game that kicks the crap out of my 5800! It's beautiful graphics give me a hit in the FPS category (think dense foliage, with grass and floweres waving continuously in the wind.) So I want the most powerful card available to play it. Honestly, the 9800pro would probably do nearly the same, but I'm a creature of habbit. I have always used Nvidia. Right now I have to play with graphics sliders set to 1/2 of full. I hope to increase them to 75% or higher with the 5900. At full, my 5800 gets about 1 FPS. At half I get 20 to 30. DirectX9 game. I'll post more info on it when the NDA drops (wich should be soon). Besides, I'd say our prices are a hell of a lot better than this : http://www.computerhq.com/hardware/...t=FX+5900+ultra
I loved my 5800, I'm sure I'll love my 5900. Only thing is, a guy I work with is getting a hell of a deal for my 5800 at $200!
Nrdstrm

nrdstrm
06-13-03, 12:22 AM
Opps, forgot one thing for people wondering, It's actually EVGA not PNY that we got in. I expect Gainward and MSI to ship to us shortly as well.
Nrdstrm

A4EP
06-13-03, 12:36 AM
Now that the 5900 is out with the reference boards HSF around what time frame do you think the MSI, ASUS and LeadTeks are going to arrive?

Does anyone think there will be a performance difference between the brands? I have been waiting for this card to upgrade my GF2 Ultra since the NV30 chip so I am really tempted to just snag one of the EVGA cards but then I also know I will be keeping it for 2-3 years so if the other cards are going to be better I will try to wait. Any advice would be great.

A4EP

nrdstrm
06-13-03, 12:48 AM
Not sure on any framerate differences, but I expect the MSI's to ship soon. Honestly, I would choose MSI, EVGA, GAINWARD (in that order. Unfortunatly, I'm a freak, and I have to have the first one that arrives at our stores. I was REALLY happy with my EVGA 5800U, but I must admitt, that I like the MSI's better. Most are close to reference anyway, so they should perform close to the same, but don't take my word on it.
Nrdstrm

jAkUp
06-13-03, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by A4EP
Now that the 5900 is out with the reference boards HSF around what time frame do you think the MSI, ASUS and LeadTeks are going to arrive?

Does anyone think there will be a performance difference between the brands? I have been waiting for this card to upgrade my GF2 Ultra since the NV30 chip so I am really tempted to just snag one of the EVGA cards but then I also know I will be keeping it for 2-3 years so if the other cards are going to be better I will try to wait. Any advice would be great.

A4EP

whoops... i meant to put evga on my first post..

it should perform about the same... like rob said, they are pretty much based on refrence desings, some companies may try to screw you a little and lower the clockspeed a tad, but you just have to be on the lookout for that. make sure that core and mem speeds are all up to spec on the box.

usually the difference comes down to bundle, features, and 2d image quality.

Originally posted by MikeC
WRONG I have hard feelings. Don't ever speak to my man JakUp like that again. :(

awwwww.... *tear comes to eye*:cool:

SurfMonkey
06-13-03, 03:14 AM

Wow!, another well thought out and intelligent post by the greatest orator on the forums.

Congratulations you must be proud of yourself on sooo many levels. :rolleyes:

nVidi0t
06-13-03, 06:53 AM

Even if he DID say he was going to buy one, good for him if he was.. it's not stupid if you have the money to spare.

Perhaps you were jealous? lol.

ricercar
06-13-03, 01:43 PM
What I'm curious to know is why everyone will jump all over the 256Mb edition.Doncha know nuthin' ? NVIDIA's FX 5900 Gasoline Station Shadows demo has over 300MB of textures! The demo runs like *** on a 128 MB card, and is barely adequate on the 256MB cards. Geez. If you can't run the demos, why buy the card?

:p

Uttar
06-13-03, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by ricercar
Doncha know nuthin' ? NVIDIA's FX 5900 Gasoline Station Shadows demo has over 300MB of textures! The demo runs like *** on a 128 MB card, and is barely adequate on the 256MB cards. Geez. If you can't run the demos, why buy the card?

:p

Err, are you sure it (still) got 300MB+ of textures? Because if it does... Woah! That AGP 8x bus sure is getting fed here! :)

Everyone prefers Dusk, though ;)

$499: Visit an abandonned gas station.
$399: See a barely clothed lady dancing to the beat doing things with her hips.

I think the choice is obvious. I know what I'm getting :D

Uttar

Quint
06-13-03, 02:49 PM
What about the 128 Versions???
When are they coming?
I'm gonna get one!:D
~Q~

Ryuuko
06-15-03, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by nrdstrm
I am buying a 5900 tomarrow if everthing goes as planned. We are getting 3 in and I am buying one.
Well what happened?:confused:

The LF store said they could order one...but not untill Monday...so before then it would be interesting to read your experience with the FX 5900.:dance:

ricercar
06-15-03, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Uttar
Err, are you sure it (still) got 300MB+ of textures? I heard 310 MB, directly from the Gas station coder on the demo team.

$499: Visit an abandonned gas station.
$399: See a barely clothed lady dancing to the beat doing things with her hips. ... I think the choice is obvious.Buy the $499 card. If you built it, she will come. ;)