PDA

View Full Version : Will nVidia ever fix the nForce audio?

RAY16
06-13-03, 01:32 AM
The audio crackle in the Asus A7N8X (Mine is non-deluxe) is really starting to piss me off, and i don't have the cash to go get a sound blaster. Will they ever fix this? or is it up to Asus?

netviper13
06-13-03, 02:36 AM
Next driver update is supposed to fix the crackling issues. Now exactly when that will be nobody knows, but apparently it's going to be reasonably soon.

Deimos
06-13-03, 02:50 AM
What drivers are you using? Through Windows Update it's possible to get the 3.42 (or 2942 for MS numbering) audio drivers.

I have them installed and they work. As far as crackling sound is concerned I haven't really had the time to give it a spin in games, but I have been told that for some people it has indeed solved the problem.

I guess you could say that your mileage may vary, but it might be worth looking into.

/Deimos

RAY16
06-13-03, 03:39 AM
Right now i'm using the 2.03 nForce drivers, but i have tried the ones on windows update and they didn't fix it for me. I've heard that disabling ACPI helps, i'm gonna try that later. I hope it gets fixed soon, its very annoying.

CaptNKILL
06-13-03, 04:02 AM
I know your problem, you have the NON-DELUXE. It has normal, generic AC97 audio. No Soundstorm for you :(

Anyways, I still have a bit of crackling\glitchiness in some games with my NF7-S (soundstorm) and Im using that last version of drivers that got pulled (because of the IDE driver.. which im having no problem with).

I hope they release a really good driver for the audio soon, that fixes the crackling\bugs (some games have random sounds that blast really loud in hardware mode). This sound card rox :)

CaptNKILL
06-13-03, 04:04 AM
Ray I almost forgot, DONT DISABLE ACPI!!! Unless im mistaken, this change will seriously fubar your system unless you reinstall windows WITH IT DISABLED FROM THE BEGINNING.

someone correct me if im wrong...

RAY16
06-13-03, 10:04 AM
I don't mind reinstalling windows if i have to, i'll just backup all my important files on my second HD before i disable it.

RAY16
06-13-03, 10:46 AM
Sorry for double post, but i wanted people to see there was a new post if they have read it since my last post.

Anyways, i disabled it and its working fine. Right now i'm testing to see if it fixed the crackle, i'm running WinAmp and doing a bunch of other stuff, It hasn't started messing up yet. Well, i'm going to keep playing WinAmp and doing intebsive stuff to see if it acts up again. I'll update later, some other people might want to try this (if it works).

*Edit*

Damn, it didn't work, I just got the crackle again. I want to try puting the audio on its own IRQ, right now its sharing with "Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller". The only problem is that i'm not sure how to do it...O_o

Dazz
06-14-03, 04:04 AM
I am using something like 2.78 and my audio works great no crackling or anything however i wasn't satisfied with the RealTek 5.1 Sound, it rarely worked in 5.1 sound so i disabled it and put back in my Audigy.

Grechie
06-14-03, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by Dazz
I am using something like 2.78 and my audio works great no crackling or anything however i wasn't satisfied with the RealTek 5.1 Sound, it rarely worked in 5.1 sound so i disabled it and put back in my Audigy.

have u tried metal gear solid 2 , its audio has disstortion in it ? :)

Dazz
06-14-03, 05:38 AM
Nope, don't have it.

SavagePaladin
06-15-03, 01:06 PM
They're working on game issues right now.
From what I know there'll be a windowsupdate release not too long after the next pack for even more game issues.

I don't know what took em so long to work harder on games, but hey...

Obviously doesn't mean it'll all be fixed.

http://nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20581

reever2
06-16-03, 11:52 PM
First Nvidia needs to learn how to create correct .inf files, it seems none of thier drivers .inf's can be installed by using the "add new hardware" prompts, all of .inf's show up blank products, and most of them dont even have drivers at all, they just either use microsofts default drivers, or dont do anything and just put a placeholder in the drivers place, even if WIndowsXp says there are no drivers installed

RAY16
06-17-03, 01:15 AM
I installed the 2.78 drivers about two days ago and it hasn't messed up yet. I think its finally fixed (for me).

Grechie
06-17-03, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by RAY16
I installed the 2.78 drivers about two days ago and it hasn't messed up yet. I think its finally fixed (for me).

Have u tried metal gear solid 2 ?
because i badly want to know if that prob is fixed

SavagePaladin
06-17-03, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by reever2
First Nvidia needs to learn how to create correct .inf files, it seems none of thier drivers .inf's can be installed by using the "add new hardware" prompts, all of .inf's show up blank products, and most of them dont even have drivers at all, they just either use microsofts default drivers, or dont do anything and just put a placeholder in the drivers place, even if WIndowsXp says there are no drivers installed
I'd say you've hosed your install, can't much blame that on NVidia.
Never had that problem except when I've hosed my win2k install.

RAY16
06-17-03, 10:09 AM
Have u tried metal gear solid 2 ?
because i badly want to know if that prob is fixed

Sorry, i don't own MGS2 on PC. I don't have enough money to buy it, plus i don't have 7Gigs to dedicate to one game. Here are the games i've played with it so far.

Warcraft III

Soldier of Fortune 2

SOLDAT

Black & White

Baldur's Gate II: The Shadows of Amn

Grand Theft Auto III

Project 64 (N64 Emu)

I have Natural Selection (Half-Life mod), but i havn't played it yet.