PDA

View Full Version : IGN bashes Microsoft PC game support

Pages : [1] 2 3

Buio
05-14-09, 11:02 AM
In IGN's early predictions for 2009
http://pc.ign.com/articles/982/982434p1.html

They just state what is known, but well at least they say it. Microsoft is only interested in games on the XBox 360. Sure they develop DX11 and Windows. But at the same time they shut down their studios that made some classical big PC games. Basically they say "here is DX11 and Windows 7 which is awesome for games on PC" while themselves only developing for XBox 360 because they think that's where all the money is.

LordJuanlo
05-14-09, 11:11 AM
Sad but true, as a PC gamer I feel that Microsoft couldn't care less about the platform. They are a big company, they have an obscene amount of cash, if they had a little bit of interest on PC gaming they would *DO* something more than GFWLive and DX11.

Toss3
05-14-09, 11:15 AM
In IGN's early predictions for 2009
http://pc.ign.com/articles/982/982434p1.html

They just state what is known, but well at least they say it. Microsoft is only interested in games on the XBox 360. Sure they develop DX11 and Windows. But at the same time they shut down their studios that made some classical big PC games. Basically they say "here is DX11 and Windows 7 which is awesome for games on PC" while themselves only developing for XBox 360 because they think that's where all the money is.

Good article from IGN. :thumbsup:

Medion
05-14-09, 11:33 AM
I would literally laugh my ass off if MS's ambivalence towards PC gaming, and Apple's recent interest in gaming, leads to Apple becoming the dominant (PC) gaming platform within the next few years. Right now, the main reasons to use Windows over MAC OS are cost (for equivalent hardware), games, and that businesses use MS. If hardcore gamers were to start switching over to Apple, the volume could help drive costs a little lower. It would have a potential trickle down effect.

No, I don't think that it will happen, but like I said, I'd laugh my ass off if it did.

MaxFX
05-14-09, 12:13 PM
yeah true thats something for the A-Holes at MS to think about, they will sh.. in their pants if it go that way so they better hurry up and stand by their word..ooh we all love Pc gaming as windows is the number 1 plattform for us and Games For Windows bla bla bla is the best thing ever and lookey at our support. we give you the finger and go 360.

Well something like that it is. so heres hoping Apple will shake upp their ass so they do something about it douchbags!

Noriega
05-14-09, 12:35 PM
I would say that MS even hurt PC gaming.GFW Live with Xbox 360 ads almost everywhere, buying PC games exclusivity only for Xbox 360, closing PC developers... and so on so on so on.

fizzelopeguss
05-14-09, 12:58 PM
Where MS slacks others will step in, valve is making a killing, you'll prolly see the big chip manufacturers start co-funding game projects also.

DeusGear
05-14-09, 03:03 PM
Microsoft sure gave us the middle finger with the terrible refresh rate system of dx10 causing many crt users problems and HDTV issues.

Buio
05-14-09, 04:30 PM
One common reason for people to stick with Windows and not use other OS is games. Seems MS is so sure about that now, as they got it locked with DX, they think they don't need to bother doing anything else themselves. I sure hope it backfires somehow.

NarcissistZero
05-14-09, 04:34 PM
One common reason for people to stick with Windows and not use other OS is games. Seems MS is so sure about that now, as they got it locked with DX, they think they don't need to bother doing anything else themselves. I sure hope it backfires somehow.

Yeah, I would love to see their complete dismissal of PC gaming backfire on them, but... not sure it will. Time will tell.

Ancient76
05-14-09, 05:20 PM
This is the reason why i don't want to buy multiplatform games.

NaitoSan
05-14-09, 05:34 PM
What about Windows 7? It's superior to Vista and gives a nice boost in performance for most of games. Maybe Microsoft have some announcement for PC games at E3 this year. But really, Microsoft isn't only one that makes games... there's a lot of other developers that makes games too. Don't blame Microsoft solely for this.

NarcissistZero
05-14-09, 05:37 PM
What about Windows 7? It's superior to Vista and gives a nice boost in performance for most of games. Maybe Microsoft have some announcement for PC games at E3 this year. But really, Microsoft isn't only one that makes games... there's a lot of other developers that makes games too. Don't blame Microsoft solely for this.

I thought I read Windows 7 does not increase game performance in benchmarks.

Noriega
05-14-09, 06:50 PM

What boost? It is just getting back to normal performance that XP gives.

nekrosoft13
05-14-09, 06:58 PM
gaming performance in xp and vista sp1/sp2/win7(vista se) is on par. please stop that bs.

MaxFX
05-14-09, 07:10 PM
gaming performance in xp and vista sp1/sp2/win7(vista se) is on par. please stop that bs.

+1
This BS should have been laid to rest long ago!

Vista is a damn fine OS and I have never had any problem with it and Win7 should be even better!

NaitoSan
05-14-09, 07:11 PM
Few of people including me saw some performance increase in some games in Windows 7 over Vista. I didn't say faster than XP. You got to remind yourself that your rig isn't same as millions of people's rig so some did see some increase while others don't.

So, there's still a lot to improve with Windows 7, so maybe the performance will increase in the future.

Noriega
05-15-09, 01:08 AM
Few of people including me saw some performance increase in some games in Windows 7 over Vista. I didn't say faster than XP. You got to remind yourself that your rig isn't same as millions of people's rig so some did see some increase while others don't.

So, there's still a lot to improve with Windows 7, so maybe the performance will increase in the future.

+1

I had FPS lost on Vista over XP ( both 32 bits) mostly in GTA IV. And also GTA IV works better on Win7 than on Vista on my PC.

nutcrackr
05-15-09, 05:47 AM
MS deserve every single amount of bashing on PC as it is. I've put up with their promises and failures for long enough, open the floodgates and flame them. I doubt they'll even respond but maybe there is a slim chance of some kind of kickstart. Their budget for PC gaming support must be a tiny tiny fraction of the 360.

rudedog
05-15-09, 06:10 AM
Here is a fact,

At the beginning of the year, I was nominated and accepted by Microsoft as a Microsoft MVP for games for windows.

There are a lot of perks including my own contacts, account manager, accounts to MS tech net as well as access to all software and product trainings.... the list goes on and it's rather cool to have the title.

With that said, we get weekly emails on all the latest pod casts, blog posts, press releases, news blurbs, product info and so on. Only once did I ever receive anything in regards to "Games for Windows" and that was the kick off meeting to introduce the new GFW community/product manager (if you remember Ryan). That was canceled the day he was let go....... Seems that they never replaced him nor do they have any info, products, news, services for any of the Microsoft MVPs.

That in itself tells me where they stand on, supporting the PC market. I've called it a long time ago. The biggest enemy to the PC gaming market is Microsoft themselves.

K007
05-15-09, 07:17 AM
gaming performance seems similar across xp/vista/w7. what w7 brings mostly to the table is the actual performance of the OS. The OS much smoother, games still stay the same, but the OS is where W7 > Vista.

Buio
05-15-09, 07:59 AM
With that said, we get weekly emails on all the latest pod casts, blog posts, press releases, news blurbs, product info and so on. Only once did I ever receive anything in regards to "Games for Windows" and that was the kick off meeting to introduce the new GFW community/product manager (if you remember Ryan). That was canceled the day he was let go....... Seems that they never replaced him nor do they have any info, products, news, services for any of the Microsoft MVPs.

That in itself tells me where they stand on, supporting the PC market. I've called it a long time ago. The biggest enemy to the PC gaming market is Microsoft themselves.

Interesting info, and it only confirms what they are doing.

They don't believe in their own product.

And the problem is that there is no competition at all. With their monopoly they can do whatever they want and get away with it.

I'm not saying Windows is bad, I quite like it as an OS. I also enjoy gaming on it, which makes it sting when Microsoft don't care about their own original gaming product.

crainger
05-15-09, 08:04 AM
The biggest enemy to the PC gaming market is PC gamers themselves.

They hate the games and pirate everything in sight.

Ancient76
05-15-09, 08:17 AM

And we can be thankful to Nvidia and Ati driver teams, not M$!

crainger
05-15-09, 08:22 AM
Don't thank ATi's driver team for anything... Ever.