PDA

View Full Version : Terminator Salavation - DVD retail bug

Logical
05-20-09, 10:43 AM
Apparently those who went out today and purchased the DVD retail version of Terminator Salvation, were shocked that when they came to install the game they found the installshield returning an error and was unable to finish installation. This is not happening to the downloaded versions such as from Steam.

http://terminatorsalvationthegame.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=7&page=1

Another reason why it is so much better to download from steam these days. :cool:

Marvel_us
05-20-09, 10:50 AM
Read that this game was only 4 hours long with no replay value. If that's the case then I will definitely pass on it. Rental at best for a boring weekend. Four hours of gameplay is like episodic content imo.

nekrosoft13
05-20-09, 10:59 AM
wait for 2.99 special

tornadog
05-20-09, 11:52 AM
Lucky they will only have to deal with the 20 guys that bought the pc dvd version!!!

mailman2
05-20-09, 01:20 PM
dont they test anything anymore.. gee why are PC sales down again?

BioHazZarD
05-20-09, 02:04 PM
lol what a joke... buy games right.

crainger
05-20-09, 03:02 PM
dont they test anything anymore.. gee why are PC sales down again?

Crap like this happens all over. Wii Guitar Hero was in Mono. PS2 Enter the Matrix crashed fighting a helicopter...

mailman2
05-20-09, 03:13 PM
Another reason why it is so much better to download from steam these days. :cool:

I just think Steam should be adjusting their prices since it's digital distribution the games should be a few bucks less at least and not just for the weekend sales. Steam games should be cheaper than retail.

Buio
05-20-09, 03:27 PM
It got recalled.

NarcissistZero
05-20-09, 04:41 PM
I just think Steam should be adjusting their prices since it's digital distribution the games should be a few bucks less at least and not just for the weekend sales. Steam games should be cheaper than retail.

The printing of manuals and pressing of discs is like .01% of the cost of making a game. You're paying for the development, not the packaging.

Not paying tax is probably about the right kind of savings.

|MaguS|
05-20-09, 04:44 PM
The printing of manuals and pressing of discs is like .01% of the cost of making a game. You're paying for the development, not the packaging.

Not paying tax is probably about the right kind of savings.

Heck, Im just happy not having any physical media...

NarcissistZero
05-20-09, 04:47 PM
I'm happy with no physical media for my music, and I wish I didn't need it for movies, but... games I kind of like packaging. I guess because it's my main hobby I like having a shelf of them and such.

Sometimes I snap out of that silly mindset and go through a digital period... I'm pretty divided.

Marvel_us
05-20-09, 05:52 PM
I'm happy with no physical media for my music, and I wish I didn't need it for movies, but... games I kind of like packaging. I guess because it's my main hobby I like having a shelf of them and such.

Sometimes I snap out of that silly mindset and go through a digital period... I'm pretty divided.

Agreed, I think for me it's the box art of certain games that is the deal maker. It's just not the same in that respect with DD.

nekrosoft13
05-20-09, 07:53 PM
i like physical media for everything. CD usually cost a lot less the actually downloading full album. Plus you get both CD and then rip it to mp3 player.

nekrosoft13
05-20-09, 07:53 PM
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58712

Unfortunately a defect occurred during replication of the PC version of Terminator Salvation, which does not allow end users to install the game. The Xbox 360 and PS3 are not affected and function properly. We have recalled all PC copies of Terminator Salvation from retail in North America and are currently in the process of replicating new copies. The new copies will be on store shelves in a few days. A replacement plan for all end users that purchased the defective units is currently being set up. Details to get a replacement copy will be announced shortly. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused the end users that purchased the defective copy.

K-1
05-20-09, 09:12 PM
Oh wow, what a disaster. I doubt they were going to get many sales for the PC DVD version in the first place, but now this... they're going to take some serious losses.

saturnotaku
05-20-09, 09:19 PM

I would go completely digital with all my games if it weren't for Comcrap's bandwidth cap, regardless of cost. Though it is nice to strike a great deal on games that end up in Target's clearance bin. 007: Quantum of Solace is $19.99 on Steam, but I've seen it at Target for $3.47. I bought mine when it was $7.48 and thought it was a deal. That's retail's main advantage, aside from not having to download as much. ;)

mailman2
05-20-09, 10:17 PM
I would go completely digital with all my games if it weren't for Comcrap's bandwidth cap, regardless of cost. Though it is nice to strike a great deal on games that end up in Target's clearance bin. 007: Quantum of Solace is $19.99 on Steam, but I've seen it at Target for $3.47. I bought mine when it was $7.48 and thought it was a deal. That's retail's main advantage, aside from not having to download as much. ;)

I just grabbed QoS @ Target for $7.48. But wtf is up with the 30 FPS cap??