PDA

View Full Version : If someone here gets a 5900 and has owned an R300 based card..

5150 Joker
06-13-03, 06:26 PM
Then let us know how the AA holds up if you have owned a R300 class card prior to buying it. I've heard of the inferior AA implmeneted in these cards but would really like an end user's feedback about how drastic it really is compared to an ATi card. I'm betting it's not as bad as some people make it out.

PreservedSwine
06-13-03, 06:50 PM
Why don't you be the guinee pig?

G6-200
06-13-03, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by 5150 Joker
Then let us know how the AA holds up if you have owned a R300 class card prior to buying it. I've heard of the inferior AA implmeneted in these cards but would really like an end user's feedback about how drastic it really is compared to an ATi card. I'm betting it's not as bad as some people make it out.

Why would anyone go from an R300 to a NV30/35? :)
Although I don't have a 5900, I did have a Ti-4600 and the AA modes in NV30/35 are unchanged. (I used aTuner to set the unsupported modes) I now have a 9800 Pro.
IMO the only worthwhile modes are 4xS and 8xS, and I mean the "good" D3D versions of these modes, not the ordered grid crap versions. Even with these modes near horizontal and vertical edges are not as good as even 4xAA on a R300.
It's also -much- slower of course due to the supersampling component, even on NV35 according to benchmarks I have seen.
Using 4xAA on an nVidia card is quite frankly a waste, it's almost identical to the 2x mode and you are better off just upping the resolution and using 2xAA.
It's tragic really that NV35 does not have better quality AA, it could have been so much more impressive.

G6

5150 Joker
06-13-03, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by PreservedSwine
Why don't you be the guinee pig?

Some people will inevitably "upgrade" from a 9500/9700 class card to an nV35, I'm not asking anyone to be a "guinee" (sic) pig.

PreservedSwine
06-13-03, 11:29 PM
I'm betting it's not as bad as some people make it out.

You think it will be worse?

I was under the impression Nvidia left AA the same in the FX5900 as they did in the FX5800.

Did they change it again?

The Baron
06-13-03, 11:37 PM
No. At least, not that I know of.

StealthHawk
06-14-03, 04:49 AM
You think it will be worse?

I was under the impression Nvidia left AA the same in the FX5900 as they did in the FX5800.

No, except there is some post filtering done at 4x FSAA now, which is why screen captures in the previews blurred the entire scene. The actual FSAA result of 4x is still the same on NV35 as it is on NV30. Albeit NV35 is a lot faster.

StealthHawk
06-14-03, 04:49 AM

Didn't you own a gf4 card before upgrading to that r9700?

Anyway the edge quality of FSAA in nvidia cards has been unchanged since the gf3.

5150 Joker
06-14-03, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Didn't you own a gf4 card before upgrading to that r9700?

Anyway the edge quality of FSAA in nvidia cards has been unchanged since the gf3.

Yep sure did but I thought they made some small improvements with the nV35? :confused:

Uttar
06-14-03, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by G6-200
It's tragic really that NV35 does not have better quality AA, it could have been so much more impressive.

On the plus side of things, though, nVidia is realizing their mistakes, and they are going to work on both AA and AF in the NV40.

Uttar

Fotis
06-14-03, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Uttar
On the plus side of things, though, nVidia is realizing their mistakes, and they are going to work on both AA and AF in the NV40.

Uttar
Are you guessing or do you have info from nvidia?
If you do know something why not share it with us?:)

Uttar
06-14-03, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Fotis
Are you guessing or do you have info from nvidia?
If you do know something why not share it with us?:)

What? Me? Info from nVidia? That's be leaked info from nVidia, then :P

But no, this isn't guessing. It's just something someone not particularly reliable or not reliable ( read: sometimes very right, sometimes quite wrong ) has said me, without additionnal details, and DaveB mentionned it on the B3D forums too.

So I think that considering that, it's pretty much a given it's true. But the question now is WHAT they're doing, now whether they're doing it. And that, I've got no idea at all.

Uttar

AnteP
06-14-03, 02:05 PM
I went from a 9800 Pro to a 5900 Ultra.
And yeah AA is clearly inferiour.
And all modes over 4xS have pretty horrible performance.
4xS works a a couple of games but it limited to 1024x768.

I was a happier camper running at 4 or 6x AA with my R350 at 1280x1024.
Looked better and ran faster (than NV35 with 4xS)

IMHO the single biggest flaw with NV3X is the piss poor FSAA

AnteP
06-14-03, 02:06 PM
Yep sure did but I thought they made some small improvements with the nV35? :confused:

There's no improvement at all except for performance that is.

Kombatant
06-14-03, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by AnteP
There's no improvement at all except for performance that is.

And new Dawn demos :D

j/k