PDA

View Full Version : Bastard 360!

vampireuk
05-25-09, 12:22 AM
After putting up with this stupid thing scratchings discs I've now got the bastard thing giving me a red light and E74 error code. I've got a sodding SNES that works better than this thing. :(

kev13dd
05-25-09, 12:42 AM
E74 now covered under 3 year warranty!

K

vampireuk
05-25-09, 01:11 AM
Out of warranty, so I've been stripping it down and taking a gander inside. One hour later with my bed covered in dust I put it back together and decided to stick with mechanical engineering. :D

NarcissistZero
05-25-09, 01:20 AM
Out of warranty means you bought an early system, and I'm surprised it lasted this long.

Also, it should only scratch discs if you move it while a disc is in the tray. I had a launch 360 forever and it never scratched anything.

vampireuk
05-25-09, 01:27 AM
A lot of 360 owners have issues with the console scratching discs, unfortunately the 360 community and tech support seem to believe I swing my console around my head like I'm trying to catch a stampeding cow.

So what you are saying is the early 360 was shoddy and substandard with the build quality of a Russian car? I feel confident knowing Microsoft's first batch of consoles were in fact a bag of bollocks.

crainger
05-25-09, 02:34 AM
New ones aren't much better. The copy to HDD feature has saved many of my discs from scratches.. No other problems though.

sammy sung
05-25-09, 06:45 AM
I've been fortunate enough to never having any issues whatsoever with mine,eventhough the ****er gets warm enough to heat my whole apartment :thumbdwn: Might just be a question of time though,fingers crossed.

LORD-eX-Bu
05-25-09, 10:18 AM
I was about to buy a 360 until one day my friend and I were getting ready to play Dynasty Warriors... I was about to turn it on and I mentioned to him about the RROD and we both started laughing. As soon as I powered it on, well what do you know RROD..**** it I'll stick with my PS3 :lol:

Toss3
05-25-09, 10:21 AM
I've been fortunate enough to never having any issues whatsoever with mine,eventhough the ****er gets warm enough to heat my whole apartment :thumbdwn: Might just be a question of time though,fingers crossed.

Just play GTA IV for a few hours and you'll get the RROD I promise you; GTA IV has already killed two of my rrod_boxes. :p

Sazar
05-25-09, 12:03 PM
Take it out back and shoot the mofo.

Revs
05-25-09, 12:12 PM
As far as I know (and I might be wrong) any product sold in the UK which is known to have a defect from manufacture is covered, by law, by a 6 year warrenty against that particular defect. All other components get the standard warrenty.

vampireuk
05-25-09, 12:26 PM
I'll have a look into that Revs, first of all however I'm going to remove the heatsink and clean it up then reapply the buggers and do a bit of general fault finding and see if I can't fix it myself rather than wait weeks for the useless sods to repair it.

Yaboze
05-25-09, 12:29 PM
I bought a Xbox 360 in May 2007, it died over a year later in July 2008. What sucks is, I wasn't hardcore on it, maybe 1-2 days a week. It died while playing the Grid Demo. :(

Before my 360 died with a RROD, it was scratching disks. When I sent it in for repair, I got the same unit back. I have no idea what they did to fix it. However, I did notice the DVD drive was replaced as well. The plastic molding on the tray has a 2008 date, which is after I originally bought it.

Toss3
05-25-09, 12:30 PM
I'll have a look into that Revs, first of all however I'm going to remove the heatsink and clean it up then reapply the buggers and do a bit of general fault finding and see if I can't fix it myself rather than wait weeks for the useless sods to repair it.

You're going to void your warranty if you open it. I'd still just try to repair it myself; I've fixed my rrod_boxes by doing the x-clamp fix (http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/671180)(only temporarily though).

vampireuk
05-25-09, 12:33 PM
You're going to void your warranty if you open it. I'd still just try to repair it myself; I've fixed my rrod_boxes by doing the x-clamp fix (http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/671180)(only temporarily though).

It's already out of the Microsoft warranty, however if Revs is correct and it is backed up by a 6 year warranty by UK law then opening the console will not invalidate this.

In law, suppliers are still liable for any breach of contract - for example, if the goods are not fit for their purpose, or of satisfactory quality - for a period of up to six years (five years from the date the problem arises, in Scotland).

vampireuk
05-25-09, 12:35 PM
I bought a Xbox 360 in May 2007, it died over a year later in July 2008. What sucks is, I wasn't hardcore on it, maybe 1-2 days a week. It died while playing the Grid Demo. :(

Before my 360 died with a RROD, it was scratching disks. When I sent it in for repair, I got the same unit back. I have no idea what they did to fix it. However, I did notice the DVD drive was replaced as well. The plastic molding on the tray has a 2008 date, which is after I originally bought it.

How often you play the console should be irelevent, I remember when I got my N64. We spent hours and hours nonstop on it and never had any problems. Same again with World of Warcraft, you could spend days playing that and your system would never have any problems again. It's the build quality from Microsoft and penny pinching that is causing these errors.

Edit: Just come off the phone to Microsoft and they are sending me some labels and arranging the console to be collected for repair, hopefully they will fix the damn disc tray whilst they are at it. :D

fizzelopeguss
05-25-09, 01:40 PM
"things break" -Peter moore faggot.

vampireuk
05-25-09, 01:48 PM
"things break" -Peter moore faggot.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/a/a0/Jean_Luc_Picard_2364.jpg/292px-Jean_Luc_Picard_2364.jpg

Toss3
05-25-09, 03:26 PM
It's already out of the Microsoft warranty, however if Revs is correct and it is backed up by a 6 year warranty by UK law then opening the console will not invalidate this.

Well, if you had opened it you could have easily caused the damage and as such would be the one held accountable. We have the exact same law here in Finland, but if you go fiddling around with the hardware yourself it won't cover you anymore.

Bman212121
05-26-09, 11:38 AM

Not even a week ago my friends Xbox RROD as well. We took it apart but didn't have the hardware to properly fix it yet. So we just heated it up and I pushed the GPU heatsink down with the back of a screwdriver. Then we took a CPU cooler and threw it on top as weight. He was able to play Forzna on it for a while. :D