PDA

View Full Version : Network switch and Xbox 360 question...

mizzer
05-29-09, 12:40 PM
I have the 360 hardwired directly to the router. The network performance graph shows maximum quality for streaming.

Now, I'd like to install a network switch between the router and the 360 in order to hook up other network-ready components (TV, DVD player, amp).

My question: do I need a gigabit switch to maintain the current network transfer speeds to my 360 or can I settle for a 10/100 switch? (This is assuming that, at the time of streaming, I will use all of the bandwidth for the 360.)

mizzer

Lyme
05-30-09, 01:12 AM
The network port on the 360 is 10/100, and in theory with a switch you can have full bandwidth being used between separate ports on the switch.

Fuku2
05-30-09, 04:39 AM
I will blow your router out of the sky with my rocket launcher. :D

Bman212121
06-01-09, 08:28 PM
I have the 360 hardwired directly to the router. The network performance graph shows maximum quality for streaming.

Now, I'd like to install a network switch between the router and the 360 in order to hook up other network-ready components (TV, DVD player, amp).

My question: do I need a gigabit switch to maintain the current network transfer speeds to my 360 or can I settle for a 10/100 switch? (This is assuming that, at the time of streaming, I will use all of the bandwidth for the 360.)

mizzer

Well here is the first question. Is the router even gigabit? If not then installing a gig switch wouldn't have any impact. The second point of consideration is where you are streaming from/to. If you're using all internet traffic then a 100mbit connection is much faster than your internet anyway, so it won't matter.

It's very unlikely that installing the switch will have any impact on performance unless you are copying files from a computer connected to the router while trying to stream at the same time.

mizzer
06-01-09, 10:00 PM

Mamma, is the bad man gone? He keeps following me. :(

:afro:

Lyme
06-02-09, 12:48 AM
Go back to the network performance graph, it tells you how much bandwidth it is using.

ViN86
06-02-09, 09:51 AM
Are you streaming from a PC or from Netflix or something?

If it's from Netflix, I wouldn't worry about it. Odds are your internet bandwidth is a fraction of the 100 Mbps pipe, so others won't affect it. As for streaming from a PC, I would also just stick with the 10/100 connection.

crainger
06-02-09, 03:50 PM

::rofl:

What is going on here?

You wont need a Gigabit switch. My 360 streams fine and I have a plain little Netgear 100/10 switch.